SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    They thought a squirrel was eating their tomatoes. But it was the mailman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They thought a squirrel was eating their tomatoes. But it was the mailman Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have a different thought....

Cheap ass people can't share a couple of tomatoes and strawberries with the guy that delivers their mail to them everyday?

You leave him part of your paycheck every week?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheap ass people can't share a couple of tomatoes and strawberries with the guy that delivers their mail to them everyday?

Maybe you’ve never grown crops - it is a labor of love.
Sharing comes when people ASK -(“may I please”- by the way these are basic manners/courtesy that are taught in preschool)- you can plan for it and know what you have available to share - didn’t sound like these homeowners were prepared for the amount that they were “sharing” without their knowledge.

Cheap? Uh-uh. Watch the video. The mailman is picking those plants over. Typically when people buy vegetables to plant they are hoping for a crop to use themselves. And if they can take back the funds they put in to having the mailman deliver mail and want to work out a trade arrangement, all right.
But that man is getting paid to walk on their private property to steal food that isn’t his, and he has no right. I know many people that end up having excess at season’s end and they put out a little sign or bring them to work or wherever they socialize with a note that says “help yourselves” -that’s when you should feel comfortable taking it without asking.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Its always the mailman.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah.....probably rang twice.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously? Roll Eyes

I'd happily share some of my tomatoes, peppers, or cucumbers with my mailman. However if I caught him stealing my tomatoes then I would do everything in my power to have his thieving ass fired or at a minimum put on a different route.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

They get paid to do that don't they?

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is a principle at play. I would never think to eat somebody else’s crops, conversely if they were mine and said mailman had said “might I sample or have a couple tomatoes” I would very likely say sure, let me know how you like them.

As has been said doing so without permission is theft period. It seems to go toward that entitled everything should be free mindset.

I would probably be angling for more then an apology.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a postal service thing.... Summer of 1985, we lived in a small town with about 150 other folks. Everyone picked up their mail at the tiny post office. In season, people brought in their extra garden produce and left it at the P.O. for others to share. We had a huge garden that summer, anticipating a lot of canning and freezing. We were leaving town for a few days and told the postmistress she could pick some tomatoes while we were gone, it she wanted to. We returned to find all 75 tomato plants picked clean....a few bushels worth. Well, we offered.....

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
Maybe it's a postal service thing.... Summer of 1985, we lived in a small town with about 150 other folks. Everyone picked up their mail at the tiny post office. In season, people brought in their extra garden produce and left it at the P.O. for others to share. We had a huge garden that summer, anticipating a lot of canning and freezing. We were leaving town for a few days and told the postmistress she could pick some tomatoes while we were gone, it she wanted to. We returned to find all 75 tomato plants picked clean....a few bushels worth. Well, we offered.....

Wow.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

If he didn’t ask, it’s not “sharing.” Helping yourself to someone else’s property is not “sharing” it with them unless they invited you to, or gave you permission, it’s theft.

I guess I’m a cheap ass for not being thrilled about “sharing” the roses that my wife works so hard on that someone in the neighborhood seems to want to keep picking just before my wife gets the chance. You’re right, we should do more to provide for fucking thieves.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Srsly?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:

Maybe you’ve never grown crops - it is a labor of love.
Sharing comes when people ASK -(“may I please”- by the way these are basic manners/courtesy that are taught in preschool)- you can plan for it and know what you have available to share - didn’t sound like these homeowners were prepared for the amount that they were “sharing” without their knowledge.

Cheap? Uh-uh. Watch the video. The mailman is picking those plants over. Typically when people buy vegetables to plant they are hoping for a crop to use themselves. And if they can take back the funds they put in to having the mailman deliver mail and want to work out a trade arrangement, all right.
But that man is getting paid to walk on their private property to steal food that isn’t his, and he has no right. I know many people that end up having excess at season’s end and they put out a little sign or bring them to work or wherever they socialize with a note that says “help yourselves” -that’s when you should feel comfortable taking it without asking.
^^ THIS ^^

I garden to enjoy the crops and happily share extras with coworkers & friends (i.e. last year my serrano pepper plant produced about 35x more than I could eat or use in salsa). I garden in my backyard, and if I caught an uninvited asshole helping themselves to my garden they'd be looking down the barrel of a gun until the police arrived.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I hate a thief!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11292 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post