SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I received a check in the mail for $7.62 - could this be fraud?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I received a check in the mail for $7.62 - could this be fraud? Login/Join 
Fire for effect
posted
Today I received a check in the mail that appears to be a real check. It has watermarks, etc. It is for $7.62 and has my and my wife's name and our address.

I have no idea who the bank is that wrote the check - it says "UMB". I have no idea who it could be from or what it is for. There is nothing included with the check to explain it.

I suspect fraud, but don't understand how it would work. I will not cash the check.

Can anyone explain how this could be fraud, or have any other explanation as to what could be going on?

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7213 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask your bank.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try going to the website and call or email them and ask ??? God Bless Smile

https://www.umb.com/

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3091 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not think it is fraudulent but not a banker. Perhaps it is some sort of refund on something you purchased. I would take it to your local bank and ask the branch manager to look into it. Hope this helps.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Whose account is it drawn on?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It could be one of these types of scams - http://www.nbcnews.com/id/1510...cash-check-its-scam/

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It could be one of these types of scams - http://www.nbcnews.com/id/1510...cash-check-its-scam/

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I just dont think like a criminal. LOL

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Full Metal Jackoff.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16899 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Thank you for the article. I've notified our accountant that we will never do business with HSBC . Depending on Chase's involvement, we will terminate our relationship with them. (Other than processing the checks, the article didn't seem too clear on what Chase did to get sued.)

Posts: 5909 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I regularly receive "checks" for odd amounts, like $59,246.38 made out to my small business.

The reason I put "checks" in quotes is that they look legit, until you realize that there is no OCR line at the bottom. No account number, no routing number.

I endorsed one for deposit and took it to the bank just to see what would happen, fully expecting the teller to laugh at me. She went through all the motions of making the deposit, up to the point where I stopped her and asked her to check the OCR line -- there was none. She was surprised at how real it looked at first glance. We had a conversation about the various scams that she has seen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
It's the first installment from that Nigerian prince....

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
UMB manages our HSA...do they for you as well, and did you or your wife request a "pay yourselves back" check for a medical payment...?

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
UMB manages our HSA...do they for you as well, and did you or your wife request a "pay yourselves back" check for a medical payment...?

This was my first thought.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the issuer of the check decided you were worth more than $5.56.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 710 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
The check does have an OCR line at the bottom.
I don't have a HSA.
The check just says UMB Bank. There is no other association with an account.

There is nothing else with the check to indicate anything about it.

Very strange.

For Wasabibill, 7.62, 5.56. I get it. Smile

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7213 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cash it at bank it's drawn from or toss it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Thank you for the article. I've notified our accountant that we will never do business with HSBC . Depending on Chase's involvement, we will terminate our relationship with them. (Other than processing the checks, the article didn't seem too clear on what Chase did to get sued.)

Using the routing & account number information from the processed check, Chase then allows Trilegiant to then charge your account for the full annual membership after the 30 day "free-trial" period all for a nice fee to Chase for the sale of their account-holders' information in the first place.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This site provides some useful tips on Check fraud and related issues. Learned a lot from reading.

http://www.ckfraud.org/ckfraud.html

The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
It may be your settlement amount for one of those class action things that are always around.

I would certainly call that bank and find out. If for no other reason than we want to know. Wink

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post