SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Health Insurance Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health Insurance Question Login/Join 
Picture of jprebb
posted
My 21 y/o nephew, a college student, is looking for an inexpensive health insurance policy. He was a wrestler for the first 2 years of college and has some lingering bumps and bruises that he wants to get looked at eventually.

Financially, he's essentially on his own. His dad provides a roof over his head but my nephew is expected to pay his own way otherwise, to include buying his own food to eat and prepare at the house.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,
JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Can he not stay on his parent's insurance policy and just pay the difference? Would be cheaper I would think than getting his own policy.

Posts: 11146 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Can he not stay on his parent's insurance policy and just pay the difference? Would be cheaper I would think than getting his own policy.

This for sure. Only inexpensive options are short term health insurance nowadays. One at his age used to be able to get a Cadillac policy for $150 per month. I'd be afraid to know what it costs post O-Care.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yes he is eligible to be on his parents plan, assuming they have one, until he is 26 but the cost will most likely be extra unless they have another child covered. He could also look into any health insurance options provided by the college. Beyond that healthcare.gov or check with insurance companies but healthcare.gov would probably be less expensive depending on what credits he could get. He could also look into Maryland's medicaid plan to see if he is eligible. Some states base eligibility strictly on income though I have no idea how good the coverage and care is. Non profit hospital could be another option.

Please encourage him to get what is bothering him at least looked at to make sure it is nothing serious. Many doctor offices now offer cash pricing but he would have to be sure that they quote the price of anything beyond the basic checkup so that there are no surprises with the bill.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The sooner these young adults get out on their own and figure things out for themselves. The better off they will be sooner than later.

If you are afraid to let them figure things out as a parent when they are an adult you are the problem.

If he asks for advice, give him some and then let him decide if he wants to take it or another road.

When I was his age I had been on my own for a few years and my parents were not meddling in my affairs.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19101 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If he is a college student I would look at options of staying on a parents insurance.

Does he work? If he is a 21-year-old college student and not working full time he will likely get some help with cost through healthcare.gov or whatever the website is.

I would check into his parent's insurance first though. Even if he's expected to pay to stay on his parent's insurance it may be a good option.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16375 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
When I attended college you had to provide proof of insurance or get on the plan they had- it was designed for students and not cost prohibitive. It basically became another box to click when registering.
Is this no longer the case or is it terribly expensive now?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5275 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
My 21 y/o nephew, a college student, is looking for an inexpensive health insurance policy. He was a wrestler for the first 2 years of college and has some lingering bumps and bruises that he wants to get looked at eventually.

I assume that your nephew is not covered by a parent's health insurance plan or else you would not be asking this question. If he resides in Maryland - your location - then he would have wanted to use https://www.marylandhealthconnection.gov/ not https://www.healthcare.gov/ since Maryland operates its own health insurance exchange. However, the deadline for applying for insurance at all of the exchanges for health insurance in 2019 ended on Dec. 15, 2018, so that idea won't work. Temporary insurance is available, but it won't cover pre-existing conditions. I would suggest looking into getting medical care through his college. If that is not available, then there's mostly just private pay as an option.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
First does he have coverage right now or did he lose his coverage within the last 60 days?

Assuming that answer is "no", then:

1) look to parents plan, or,
2) look to an individual short term medical policy. Note these do NOT cover pre-existing conditions, are quite cheap, and would cover NEW health issues
3) ride that out until the individual medical plan Open Enrollment (OE) at the end of this year for either the Federal Marketplace if he resides in a State that uses the Fed plan, or, like RH said, if he resides in Maryland to their marketplace

Posts: 3696 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
When I attended college you had to provide proof of insurance or get on the plan they had- it was designed for students and not cost prohibitive.

This.

When I was in college every full time student had access to health care through the college. It was part of the "fees" everyone paid. Colorado State University, where I went, had a full clinic on campus to serve all students. I had dental work done there too.

Posts: 5727 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Also, Maryland adopted the Medicaid expansion, https://www.marylandhealthconn...ctsheet_Medicaid.pdf which can be enrolled in anytime of the year, subject to income limits.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post