SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Neighbor Makes His Own Garden Fresh V8 Juice...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Neighbor Makes His Own Garden Fresh V8 Juice... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
No additives, no preservatives just garden fresh. And it is the nectar of the gods! That is all.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That a great start to a Bloody Mary.

Seriously, it looks quite good. Does he use some sort of juicer or a blender to make his concoction?

What ingredients? I'll assume Tomato, celery, carrots....what else?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It does look good to be honest. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes, celery, carrots, various peppers, jalapenos, onions, beets and a few other ingredients. He does add a small amount of sugar. He simmers it for hours in a stock pot and then runs it through a food mill I think. He has given me about 8 quarts this year. I drink a glass every day.

Does make a fabulous bloody mary but I prefer it straight up. It's almost too good to dilute it with anything.

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting ..

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I wonder how it would be raw?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Sounds good. I wonder how it would be raw?

Not sure why the cook unless for taste as I think raw would be healthier.
Still good either way.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I love v8, but it's got too much salt for my diet. Does your friend add salt to his?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cook draws the flavor and juices out and softens the vegetables to allow them to be run through the food mill and be turned into a smooth juice. I don't argue with his method it turns out some damn fine and healthy juice! Nope no salt just a bit of sugar.

I can't stand the regular V8 you buy anymore and it used to be a favorite of mine.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Tomatoes, celery, carrots, various peppers, jalapenos, onions, beets and a few other ingredients. He does add a small amount of sugar. He simmers it for hours in a stock pot and then runs it through a food mill I think. He has given me about 8 quarts this year. I drink a glass every day.

Does make a fabulous bloody mary but I prefer it straight up. It's almost too good to dilute it with anything.

We make our own tomato, V8 type juice as well with our garden veggies. Same basic ingredients as above minus the beets and the addition of a Cajun spice blend and a little vinegar. We run it through the blender, then let it sit in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. We then pour it into a fine mesh type strainer.

And yes, it makes outrageously good bloody marys. Unlike your friend, we are stingy with it and guard it with our lives. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked him about adding other spices but he just feels he doesn't need to. He adds or subtracts the amount of heat he wants by the addition or subtraction of jalapenos and hot banana peppers. His mild is just perfect for a good morning breakfast juice. Just a little heat on the back end. His spicy variety is what I would use as a bloody mixer or I have also used it to chase the sniffles.

Warm a glass in the microwave for a bit and sip it before bed. Clears out the sinuses quite well.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Ours is pretty spicy which is fine with me. The wife adds regular tomato juice to hers to tame it down a little.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I love v8, but it's got too much salt for my diet. Does your friend add salt to his?
There is a los sodium variety of V8:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

There is a los sodium variety of V8:

Thanks, I'll have to try that!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
V8 now offers a low sodium version. I've not tried it, but you might want to.

My mom home-canned her own tomato pureé, which was a fairly thick tomato juice. She didn't use any vegetables except tomatoes, though. She cooked them and then I churned them through a conical colander to extract the juice. She used it to make many dishes--chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.--but I loved to just drink it.

I do drink the "original" V8--have tried the "spicy" but prefer the original.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Great Karma.

I'm in

I wish

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my! I love, Love, LOVE V8 juice! If it wasn't so expensive it would be almost all that I would drink.

I would just like to give this a try.
Sounds wonderful.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I used to drink it all the time until I realized how much sodium it had in it. But I liked the spicy version or I'd just put some hot sauce in the regular version. Haven't drunk it in years though.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
All I buy is the low salt V8. I drink it every morning with my vitamins and supplements.

This thread makes me want to try my own someday though.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post