SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pros/cons of moving to the south? Seeking anecdotes.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros/cons of moving to the south? Seeking anecdotes. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I hear Missouri is really nice, though. And they think they're in the south so you'll have plausible deniability. Smile

I'd consider the southern quarter or so of Missouri - let's say south of Springfield - to be part of "The South".

The rest of Missouri is the Midwest. Big Grin

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The fire ants are the worst part.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't really think of any pros right now. I hear Missouri is really nice, though. And they think they're in the south so you'll have plausible deniability. Smile

Well now, hold on here a minute...let's think about this.

As I said earlier, I am not a native Missourian but I have lived here for 23 years now and have friends/family pretty much all over this state and that would include Springfield, Branson and even over to West Plains. I have never heard any of them refer to themselves as Southerners or being from "the south". Nope, they are from the Mid-West.

At least that's my take on it. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I thought grits was.. Big Grin. Grits is grits and I don't know what they are. I lived in both the Carolinas and never had grits.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like New Orleans, but it isn't like the rest of the South, or any other place. It is unique.

Likewise, East Texas is unlike the rest of Texas, more closely resembling the rest of the Deep South states on the Gulf of Mexico. They have their own, distinguishable accent. In fact, many years after leaving East Texas (living in AZ), I joined the Prescott Action Shooters club. Never having met this one man, after listening to him speak, I ventured "you are from East Texas" (declarative statement, as I was so sure). I was right, but the encounter went further. We had both lived in Texarkana in the early 1960s, attended the same church, and he was a classmate of my first girlfriend's older sister. He lived right around the corner from the girls' house, and I am surprised I never ran into him because of the amount of time I spent there.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chiggers are a pretty close second. I do not miss them at all.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't really think of any pros right now. I hear Missouri is really nice, though. And they think they're in the south so you'll have plausible deniability. Smile
Nothing personal against Missouri or it's citizens . I just don't consider them " Southern " . They did get themselves into the SEC and I didn't understand that either . That was probably a money thing though .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My best friend of 30 years (passed away last week) moved to Tennessee in late 2021.

He had a heart attack and quadruple bypass in Sept 2022. He always ate very healthy and smoked or grilled almost everything he ate. On the survey he had to take post surgery as he prepped for rehab had the following question and choices.

I prefer to cook with the following:
A) Lard
B) Bacon Fat

He was a bit perplexed as there were no other choices for answers, not even an 'other' selection.

As he read further he found another question

How many sticks of butter do you use cooking per week:
A) 1-2
B) 3-4
C) 5 or more

Again he was perplexed as the answer was zero.

He had quite a discussion with his therapist about how he chose to eat vs. what this survey was aimed at.

His new neighbors rallied around he and his wife during the event. He promised them a good dinner once he felt up to it. Once he did he did a variety of foods prepared on the smoker including chicken, salmon, catfish, and others. The neighbors said they'd never eaten any of those foods smoked, only deep or pan fried or chicken fried.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
I thought grits was.. Big Grin. Grits is grits and I don't know what they are. I lived in both the Carolinas and never had grits.

grits prepared correctly, and served with butter and black pepper are delicious

shrimp n grits are good too,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Grits are amazingly versatile,

Theres good ol plain Grits
Grits n butter
Grits n Garlic with Butter
Grits N Cheese
Grits N garlic n Cheese
Grits with Shrimp
Grits with bacon
Grits with Shrimp and Bacon
Fried Grits
Sausage Eggs over Cheese Grits
Grits Casserole with Sausage, Bacon, Ham
Grits Pie

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
… Diablo Sandwich …
Tell me more, I’m listening.

Oh, i looked it up. It’s a sloppy Joe. Sounds good. I honestly had a rough time in South Carolina. The food was rather bland. Definitely not what I’m used to in Pennsyltucky.

I remember Smokey and the bandit when Buford T Justice orderd a Diablo sandwich. For 30 years I wondered what a Diablo
sandwich was, now I know. Thanks!

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

grits prepared correctly, and served with butter and black pepper are delicious

shrimp n grits are good too,

YUM.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Grits n butter
Grits N Cheese
Grits N garlic n Cheese
Grits with Shrimp
Grits with bacon
Fried Grits
Grits Pie

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I lived in both the Carolinas and never had grits.
Sign in restaurant: "Our grits is good. Try one."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Grits n butter
Grits N Cheese
Grits N garlic n Cheese
Grits with Shrimp
Grits with bacon
Fried Grits
Grits Pie
And grits in the garbage can. I hate them. (Don't like shrimp or cheese, either, but that wasn't the subject.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Pro's:

*Generally cheaper cost of living
*Generally more conservatives
*Generally more Christian/religious people
*Significantly less snow shoveling
*Typically better climate for survival in a world without electricity and propane/nat. gas (electronics)

Con's:
*Snakes (really, this is enough to just stop here)
*TOO many people, just about everywhere
*Generally those more religious people don't condone or agree with my ministry/lifestyle
*Significantly more lawn mowing and grounds maintenance
*Hot. Just stinkin' hot, pretty much everywhere, pretty much all the time. I melt at anything over +65F
*Hayfever/Allergies. Nearly something I'm allergic to is nearly always in bloom. Drugs all the time, just to take the edge off my body feeling like its dying...all the time. I hate grasses, cottonwoods, and other tree pollens.

I don't even like to visit the South anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not really a Pro or Con but an anecdote of sorts:

Born and raised in Iowa, my mom was from southern Kentucky, dad from Iowa.

Whenever as a kid we visited KY ~ my mom's accent changed to a cool slow southern belle drawl, especially evident in the gals but guys has a bit of an accent too. I loved the accent. Cool

WHEN I first came to Houston as a teenager ~ I was shocked that none of the girls talked like that!

Could be it was because it was Houston aka big city but a bit of a disappointment nevertheless. Frown

I ended up with a gal from Pittsburgh anyway so ... Razz

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Lived in the midwest for about 43 years. Mostly in central IL, then to the Chicago suburbs, and SE Wisconsin. Moved last year to Senoia, GA. Home of the Walking Deads. It's South of Atlanta.

I find it actually less buggy in a way than up north. No, there are more of them but they don't bother me as much. I do spray my yard myself. Got a Stihl backpack sprayer.

The heat doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. That's what AC is for.

In my neck of the wood, there are enough mix of people from all over that I don't feel like I am in the deep south. Southern accent is worst when you go north toward Kentucky/Tennessee.

The pollen is little weird to get used to in the spring. Everything gets yellow!

There are churches everywhere...and strangely enough, no real neighborhood bars. And you can't buy hard liquors at the stores here(only wine and beer). 3 package liquor stores in the county.

There is not a decent chinese or pizza place to be had. Seriously! How are there not one midwest transplant pizza restaurant or a decent chinese place. Panda Express is better than what I have found. North of Atlanta have some good chinese place.

Overall, I love that things aren't all grey and dead in the winter. There are more daylight during the winter down here. Cars don't rust like they do up north. I am 4 hours from the beaches in the gulf. Frankly, I like not having to layer up like Randy from Christmas Story in the winter. I love I get to play pickleball all year around.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
I like New Orleans, but it isn't like the rest of the South, or any other place. It is unique.

Likewise, East Texas is unlike the rest of Texas, more closely resembling the rest of the Deep South states on the Gulf of Mexico. They have their own, distinguishable accent. In fact, many years after leaving East Texas (living in AZ), I joined the Prescott Action Shooters club. Never having met this one man, after listening to him speak, I ventured "you are from East Texas" (declarative statement, as I was so sure). I was right, but the encounter went further. We had both lived in Texarkana in the early 1960s, attended the same church, and he was a classmate of my first girlfriend's older sister. He lived right around the corner from the girls' house, and I am surprised I never ran into him because of the amount of time I spent there.

True, there are several distinct cultures and accents in Texas. West Texas, Deep East Texas, and the Valley are as different from one another as many states are.

But New Orleans still takes the cake as far as being unlike any other place.

(I've never liked grits. I don't like any porridge or gruel. I am not a medieval peasant.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I've never liked grits. I don't like any porridge or gruel. I am not a medieval peasant.)

Well, bless your heart!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post