SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nails for a fence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nails for a fence Login/Join 
posted
I have a fence with 1/2” dog eared pickets nailed to 2x4 rails. Can somebody please tell me what nails will hold the pickets on for good? This is getting ridiculous.

Posts: 972 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Deck screws

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Stainless Steel square drive
deck screws is all I use. Never rust.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That might be best.

Posts: 972 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A 3rd for screws. I prefer a star bit to square.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The best I have used are what I call a barn nail. Have a ring shank portion from the point back. The best ones are a black. Tried some galv. ones and they broke in a year or two. The black ones worked great. I could not find the last time I was after some though.
If you need big ones might need to pre drill to get them started.
Before torx bolts became all the rage we used them on pole barn builds, etc. Simply worked great on fences too.

Edit, I see now the type of fence you are building. Not the type of fence I build so my advice is not useful. Sorry.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Stainless Steel square drive deck screws is all I use. Never rust.
Me too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Stainless screws or those ringed nails. But make sure they are galvanized or they’ll rust thru in a heartbeat. I built a fence around my first house. 281 linear feet and I wish I’d have used screws v nails.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the dark red deck screws. I stained all the fence slats and stringers dark walnut before putting them up. The dark red blends in very nicely.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Quick easy and good… Galvanized ring shank nails with my cordless Milwaukee nail gun. Three nails per crossmember, Pow pow pow!

Stainless screws probably even better. Probably much more expensive and hard to find around here with a square or star head.

The regular coated decking screws from the big box stores suck in my experience and will rust pretty quick.

A link would be nice to some good, affordable, stainless screws online.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Screw it/them and use stainless if you can... the down side is they will last longer than the wood. I prefer the star drive heads to square.... if the wood wants to split then just drill a small hole in the board first.

https://www.amazon.com/Deck-Pl...aps%2C68&sr=8-5&th=1

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post