SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It has been a good long while,
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It has been a good long while, Login/Join 
posted
Life, that is what happened.

I left for Oregon over a year ago. I helped my parents for a few weeks and returned home to VA.

It was my Daughters Junior year, and she was working hard at completing her CNA program in high school. He had just passed her driver's license the summer before and had been commuting to her high school 36 miles each way since.

My son, then 15 handed me a note a day after I got home. The principal had agreed to let him skip from a sophomore to a junior in high school. He was starting the last math class the Local JCC had available to him. His high school did not have a solution for him. My son decided he was done with waiting, 2020-2021 would be his last year of high school. I signed, and covid hit, his junior year was all of two weeks. He finished the year.

That last summer was long, hot, and crazy. Prep for ACT/SAT, Choosing classes, finding out the local VA school district canceled all busses to this area. We would have to drive 24 minutes to a connection stop for both kids. My son's school is 25 miles away, and my Daughter's 36. (they chose different high schools, one is a trade school and on the other side of the county.)

Both opted for at-home learning on rural cellular internet for the first semester. The second semester my Daughter completed her PCT cert at her high school. My son only needed 3 credits to graduate, (he loved summer school took a class every year since 7th grade) The school district said, no to him graduating early. They put in a requirement a week later that he must attend at least 5 classes a week.

He decided to take 3 AP classes one IB and a couple of smaller semester classes. By this point the pair had picked the universities they would apply to. By late October both had been accepted. Hollins Uni for my daughter, Public Health with a track for veterinary care. Norwich University for my son, Dual major Physics and Mechanical engineering.

These last months have been a roller coaster of a ride for all the reasons everyone else has had. For me, it has been even more apparent as both are fiercely independent, sowers of their own row to hoe. They have fought tooth and nail to get out and be free on their own only to have society stifle them at every chance and turn.

They both found Jobs over the summer, Bass pro for my daughter and Subway for my son. Both have been invited back to work any hours they wish when on leave. Something I am sure the pair of them will do. While their offers from the school were substantial, my kids have skin in the game. A large chunk of their costs has to come from them.

My wife and I drove my son up to Norwich last week. We attended the drop-off ceremony for Rooks, and we watched as he completed rook week. Friday we ran around and had a number of forms notarized for him. He was able to get his dual major approved and will be participating in Air Force ROTC.

My daughter left the same weekend, as she had an early arrival at her school. We went down last week and participated in her commencement as best we can. It is vastly different from Norwich, but that is very much my daughter. Finding her own path, through a field of bullshit.

I am immensely proud of them both, they have chosen to take that step into their own lives and own careers while giving long thought to the trials and tribulations they will face.

My wife and I have been able to watch them both grow over this last summer as they chomp at the bit for their own lives.

My son, the last person I would have ever expected to look to a life of service, should he take a commission or not, is loving Norwich. He completed Rook week, tired, worn-out but happy as hell.

Far left

I wish I had more of my daughter's school to share. Sadly we were not there when she moved in. The two schools did not work out the final dates for moving in until two weeks before. A hazard in the uncertain bullshit bureaucratic times of late. Neither was able to put a coherent covid plan together and had to push everything back to the last minute because their states had their hand in telling universities what they could and could not do. Though Norwich was quicker and thought ahead I still feel for the schools and their incoming students.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a fantastic family including you. I came from a bit (ok-much) more messed up family and I always enjoy reading about those who have really got it together. I'll bet you are really proud!

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
You did an amazing job, your family is awesome, congratulations.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have every reason to be extremely proud of both of them.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Good for both your son and daughter. I appreciate what you went through; that was quite a whirlwind!

I imagine your life probably feels like it has slowed significantly.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’d bet that those kids know how to shoot, too!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I’d bet that those kids know how to shoot, too!

They have shot, but it has never been a passion for either. My son loves reading. He goes through about 20 books a month, my daughter is everything outdoors and horse.

I did get to ask my son how carting around an M-14 for hours on end was. He replied not bad. I asked if the cadre was there, and he said yes.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You obviously have done a fine job. You and your kids should be congratulated.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
There is a reason younger people have kids - they have the energy! You've had a very busy few years. And it looks like it's paying off. It's particularly revealing in your comment about their work ethic: "Both have been invited back to work any hours they wish when on leave."

I hope you are (justifiably) very proud of them!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Straight-up Awesome. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
There is a reason younger people have kids - they have the energy! You've had a very busy few years. And it looks like it's paying off. It's particularly revealing in your comment about their work ethic: "Both have been invited back to work any hours they wish when on leave."

I hope you are (justifiably) very proud of them!

My daughter was given 40+ hours a week while she worked there. They have her on the payroll, and she need only put in one day every 90 to stay on the payroll. They asked her to return not only at Christmas but during next summer.

That will depend on if she is using her CNA/PCT in the area where her college is located. Either of those Certifications will pay half again as much as bass pro.

My son, well that is another story. His boss hired three people with him. Only two showed up, he was the only one to show up a second day. She offered positions to other people, and they also never showed up for work. My son is 17 no, but had he been 18 the stinken governor would have paid him 16 bucks an hour to sit at home. If the state could have finished their unemployment paperwork.

It was ridiculous. Both kids would get called into work when every other employee would fail to show up. My daughter was given a retroactive 750 dollar sign-on bonus for simply showing up three weeks in a row. The boss at subway chipped in an extra two bucks an hour because my son never said no to working on the spur of the moment.

My daughter fixed her last class, 18 credits the first term. That is a load and a half for the very first term. My son, well prior to getting his dual major approved was at 16 credits. So, now with the extra class, he will be doing 20.

Can they do it. I think so, it will come down to prioritizing time and interests. During the summer, my son may take classes at Norwich. he can knock in a number of credits and classes that will aid his two majors.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
One of my good friends who passed a few years back graduated from Norwich, he and his fellow classmates got together annually after graduation. Mac spent a tour in Vietnam as a tank commander, remember him telling me that the first time he was shot at when up top he dumped every round out of the 50 and burnt the barrel up so bad that shots were going everywhere LOL.

Your son should make life long friends from there, I know Mac loved the place...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Kids like yours will save the future.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great to see DG. You guys done good. Congrats to you all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Kids like yours will save the future.

^^^^This I Pray^^^^

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Has your son thought about applying for an Air Force ROTC scholarship?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Very well done, Sir! You and your wife have much to be proud of.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. At least with respect to the two of them, you have nothing to grouse about... Big Grin

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mama and Papa have done good.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Right on! Their work ethic will will pay out greatly in the future.

My Dad told me, "you can play now, and pay later, or pay now, and play later".

They are putting in the work to build solid foundations!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post