SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for camping/hiking touring southern Colorado
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for camping/hiking touring southern Colorado Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
I am planning a trip the end of July/beginning of August with my family. We will be driving to visit my sister outside of Estes Park, Co. Due to scheduling constraints, my wife will fly home after a week, leaving my 11 yo son and I a remaining 8-9 days to do as we please and work our way home.

To break up the drive from CO to FL, I thought maybe he and I would take some time to visit the Western Slope, work our way down through the western/southern part of Colorado on our way to visit the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, NM. After accounting for driving time, visiting friends & relatives, he and I will have 3-4 days free to do as we please. I thought we would drive over to Grand Junction, then spend a few days camping/backpacking/fishing on our way to NM. I have never been to that part of the country, so I am hoping someone on the forum can suggest good places for us to go. My son is a great adventurer, and I have spent many days on off beat, out of the way adventures, and am dying to introduce him to the vast open spaces of the American West. We will be in a 4WD F-150, so rugged/rough roads will not be a problem. An ideal scenario would be a 2-3 day backpacking trip with some good fishing.

Also, if there are any particularly interesting/unique places to visit, I would appreciate hearing about those, as well.

TIA.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White water rafting on the Arkansas.

Posts: 1974 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
White water rafting on the Arkansas.

I’ll second this. The area around Salida is great for this.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a couple extra days, head south from Grand Junction to Durango. The Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railroad is a great way to see that part of Colorado.

Mesa Verde NP is south and west from Durango, the cliff dwellings are quite interesting if you have a historical leaning.

Lots to see and do on the western slope of Colorado and not near as crowded as the eastern side of the state, imho.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 782 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I worked in Colorado for 3 summers as a mountain guide in the early 80s, and lived there for ~25 years (1988-2013). Here are some ideas from my past....

In GJ, you have Colorado National Monument. There's also the lesser-known McInnes Canyon, with Rattlesnake Arches, possibly the highest concentration of natural arches outside of Arches National Park. It's an out-and-back hike of about 6-8 miles. I've done it twice. From the last arch, it's possible to scramble up the slickrock directly through the arch and almost cut the hike in half (which I've done, no special gear). (linky)

Great Sand Dunes area, although not sure if you could do multi-day there. Back in the day (early 80s), I was a mountain guide in that area. You might look at going up and over Medano Pass from the park over to Gardener/ Walsenburg (I-25) (4WD, but unless things have changed, your F-One-Fiddy could do it.

Telluride and Ouray are worth a look. Shortest way between the two is Imogene Pass. Definitely more difficult 4WD, but not a metal masher unless you're careless. I've done it in a small pickup (Mitsubishi) and Jeep. Jeep was definitely more capable. Good camping on the Ouray side. If you're up for some adventure, you might try the Telluride Via Ferrata (linky). If you don't have the right gear or skillset, either rent gear and/or find a guide - it IS technical.

Imogene Pass camping

If you haven't been to any Anasazi ruins, I second Mesa Verde. If you want to do any off the beaten path stuff, do some interweb research around the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument. If that interests you, email me, I might have some resources for you.

Honeycomb Granary, Canyons of the Ancients

There's a ton of stuff to do, so no matter what you end up doing, it will be fun!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I second both Mesa Verde and the Silverton Durango. Two of my favorite parts of entire month trip out west, not just the time I spent in CO. I will visit both again before I die. Wife did the Silverton Durango last year and loved it. The sights are amazing and how they stuck it to the side of a mountain is inconceivable.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webley Green:
If you have a couple extra days, head south from Grand Junction to Durango. The Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railroad is a great way to see that part of Colorado.

Mesa Verde NP is south and west from Durango, the cliff dwellings are quite interesting if you have a historical leaning.

Lots to see and do on the western slope of Colorado and not near as crowded as the eastern side of the state, imho.

Have a great trip.

Lots of great suggestions already, but having done this trip many years ago, I heartily recommend it!

One suggestion: At that time of the year things get hot, and many parts of Colorado are pretty dry. So TAKE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!

The air is pretty dry and you lose water quickly, especially if hiking, etc.

One sight to take in is Royal Gorge! We were stationed in Ft. Carson a couple centuries ago, and made that trip a couple times, even later when traveling in the US with some German friends. Amazing sight. But then, there are lots of them in Colorado.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the Great Sand Dunes and Ouray.

https://theknow.denverpost.com...ark-sky-park/214974/

Also, if during your travels into Northern NM, stop by the NRA’s Whittington Center. Even if you don’t shoot, they have an amazing little firearms museum that only the NRA could accumulate.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/At...aton_New_Mexico.html

Do not leave NM without visiting a Blake’s Lotaburger.

https://www.lotaburger.com/

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tons of fishing near salida and Buena Vista I have an old friend that is a guide. There is plenty of Rafting as well. Water should be pretty tame that part of the year.

You could take 285 out of Denver through fairplay and in to Buena Vista or salida. South from there still on 285 to Alamosa for the sand dunes and gator farm. Then head back east to i25 to get to New Mexico.

If you do elect to go down to Durango for the train I heard you can get off along the pass for some remote fishing but thay was years ago. Plus there was a bad fire in that area.

There is a 3 day hike from Vallacito lake near Bayfield to Silverton but you would have to find a way back to get your car.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Triple-extra recommend Telluride & Mesa Verde. And if you want small gauge antique railroad ride, the Durango-Silverton should thrill/educate your son on that phase of history.

I've driven all over the pavement in that part of the country, and it would be hard to go wrong regardless of how you turn the wheel.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Eagle County Fair and Rodeo July 24-27 is one of my favorites if you are so inclined.
>> http://www.eaglecounty.us/fairrodeo
--------------------------------------------
Steamboat Springs Pro Rodeo is 8/2 - 8/3.
>> http://www.steamboatprorodeo.com/
Full PRCA rodeo schedule is here: http://prorodeo.com/prorodeo/rodeo/rodeo-schedule
As stated earlier: Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Mesa Verde are all excellent for camping and sight seeing. Great old west atmosphere.
---------------------------------------------
Good flyfishing all around Carbondale.
---------------------------------------------

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, a lot of great suggestions!

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
The Philmont Scout ranch is pretty cool. Good place to visit with your son. Not too far from there is Cimarron Canyon State Park. I love that whole area- lots of fishing and camping along the river there.

Also not too far is the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial in Eagle Nest. Quite a place.

The Ouray and Telluride areas are awesome. Beautiful country.

If you do end up visiting the NRA Whittington Center you can stay there also. Just a consideration. That's an incredible place.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I like the drive from Hwy 50. West of Gunnison south to Lake City where there is a naturally formed lake. Lake San Cristobal. Then over Slumgullian pass toward Creede and South Fork. This takes you by the headwaters of the Rio Grande. A lot of mining history in these old towns. The mining museum in Silverton is almost too interesting.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the drive down Hwy 550 from Grand Junction to Durango. You'll pass through Ouray and Silverton - pay attention to the road easy to rubberneck your way off a cliff.

In Durango, take the Train back up to Silverton. Awesome ride and a great chance to rubberneck without concern for killing yourself ;-).

Out of Durango, going east on 160, you can jog north to Creede, a great old town. You will also be running along the Rio Grande River headwaters and there are plenty of places to pull off and fish if you have your own gear.

From there east to I-25 and south over Raton Pass and on to Cimarron.

You can fly fish on the River in and around Durango. Would recommend hooking up with a local guide - call a local fly shop for a referral - as they can put you on fish a lot quicker than DIY.

There is also another historic Steam train down that way, the Cumbres-Toltec - SE of Pagosa Springs - Chama NM.

Don't know what your plans are for Philmont but I have taken Scouts there several times on Treks. Place is awesome. Recommend you pick up some books on the history of it and Waite Phillips whose ground that was before he donated it to the Scouts. Lot's of good history at that place. The store at Philmont has the history books I believe - find the shop online at "Tooth of time traders". They are still recovering from last years fires.

Have fun! Beautiful country and lots of history.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
I like the drive from Hwy 50. West of Gunnison south to Lake City where there is a naturally formed lake. Lake San Cristobal. Then over Slumgullian pass toward Creede and South Fork. This takes you by the headwaters of the Rio Grande. A lot of mining history in these old towns. The mining museum in Silvertown is almost too interesting.

^^^^^ I will second that!

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I live about 45 minutes from Durango. The best fishing by far is in the Quality Waters at Navajo Dam in Navajo Dam NM. People come from all over the world to fish there.

If you want to fish in Durango, Duranglers and San Juan Anglers are both good places. I know Duranglers guides around Durango and in the Quality Waters. I also know a guide for just the Quality Waters.

https://duranglers.com/

https://thesanjuanangler.com/

You have received a ton of good advice already. If you have any specific questions about this area I would be happy to answer them.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe stop by Trinidad if it is near where you will be. Neat place I hear.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Watch out for machete wielding crazies on the trails.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post