SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senate Confirms Biden’s Pick to Lead the Bureau of Land Management
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senate Confirms Biden’s Pick to Lead the Bureau of Land Management Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted
Another radical.

Get ready to grab your ankles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...one-manning-blm.html

After a party-line vote, Tracy Stone-Manning became the leader of an agency that manages oil and gas drilling on public lands.

By Lisa Friedman
Sept. 30, 2021

WASHINGTON — The Senate narrowly approved Tracy Stone-Manning on Thursday to lead the Bureau of Land Management, capping months of efforts by Republican lawmakers to block her confirmation because of her connection to a decades-old tree spiking incident.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
236 views and not one reply.

I figure some of you like to use blm lands for various things like shooting, camping, etc.

You think this won't affect you?!

This troglodyte will eliminate your access as sure as the sun comes up in the morning.

Same kind of thing as chapman at atf.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It seems everything the totalitarians do is not so much to advance an agenda as elicit a response. None of their ideas are anything but destructive, destroying their opponents is job one. I'll just offer the recent example of the teaching cabal wanting parents who are pushing back to be labeled domestic terrorists.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak for others, but I am simply stunned that the Senate approved this nomination. Unbelievable.

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
I cannot speak for others, but I am simply stunned that the Senate approved this nomination. Unbelievable.

50-45 party line vote. The commies are in control. Even if all the Reps had voted, they still would have approved. Why are you stunned?

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Remember it is not a lifetime appointment. Everyone knows her past history.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sewer just keeps spinning.
And down we go.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

50-45 party line vote. The commies are in control. Even if all the Reps had voted, they still would have approved. Why are you stunned?

Perhaps because I believed that members of both parties still believed in the rule of law and that prior bad acts had future consequences, such as entitlement to a senior position in a federal agency.

Posts: 162 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

Maybe it's because it's hard to know what to be upset about when the linked article is behind a paywall.

Posts: 17191 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps because I believed that members of both parties still believed in the rule of law and that prior bad acts had future consequences, such as entitlement to a senior position in a federal agency.

Where have you been the past couple of years?

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

Maybe it's because it's hard to know what to be upset about when the linked article is behind a paywall linked article is behind a paywall.
I did not know that. I clicked on it and it came up on my old XP machine. Apologies.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It works in reader view...

Here is copy / paste of the article

Senate Confirms Biden’s Pick to Lead the Bureau of Land Management
After a party-line vote, Tracy Stone-Manning became the leader of an agency that manages oil and gas drilling on public lands.

Sept. 30, 2021
Tracy Stone-Manning testified before the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources in June.
Tracy Stone-Manning testified before the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources in June.Graeme Sloan/Sipa, via Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The Senate narrowly approved Tracy Stone-Manning on Thursday to lead the Bureau of Land Management, capping months of efforts by Republican lawmakers to block her confirmation because of her connection to a decades-old tree spiking incident.

Ms. Stone-Manning was approved 50-45 along party lines late Thursday evening.

She is the first Senate-confirmed director of the Bureau of Land Management in five years. Ms. Stone-Manning steps into an agency that has been stretched thin ever since the Trump administration moved the B.L.M. headquarters to Colorado last year, and will soon be faced with decisions over the future of oil and gas leases on federal land in Western states.

Climate Fwd There’s an ongoing crisis — and tons of news. Our newsletter keeps you up to date.

Last month, Deb Haaland, the Interior secretary, announced the B.L.M. would move its headquarters back to Washington.

The agency, which is within the Interior Department, oversees grazing, logging and drilling on 245 million acres of public land — about a tenth of the entire United States — and manages 700 million acres of mineral rights. It is responsible for balancing oil, gas and coal extraction with recreation and the protection of natural resources.

It also is key to President Biden’s goal of phasing out oil and gas drilling on federal lands. That plan has been in limbo since a federal judge ruled in June that the administration did not have the authority to suspend leases.

“Few agencies are as important for protecting and promoting America’s public lands, and in the years to come, the B.L.M. will play an even greater role in our government’s efforts to fight climate change,” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, a Democrat and the majority leader, said on the floor.

Mr. Schumer denounced what he called Republican “histrionics” and accused them of using Ms. Stone-Manning’s nomination to launch “cheap, out-of-context attacks.”

Republicans have criticized Ms. Stone-Manning for objecting to former President Donald Trump’s “energy first” agenda, which prioritized the production of fossil fuels despite the role they play in heating the planet.

But Republican leaders also maintained that their opposition was based on her behavior during a tree-spiking incident in 1989, not her opposition to an expansion of oil and gas drilling.

As a graduate student in Montana, Ms. Stone-Manning, now 56, retyped and mailed a letter to the U.S. Forest Service warning about a plan to insert metal spikes into trees in Clearwater National Forest in Idaho. At the time, “tree spiking” was a tactic used by some environmentalists to damage logging machinery. But it could also harm or even kill the workers using that equipment.

Ms. Stone-Manning testified in the Clearwater case, helping to convict two of the men involved, and had described her decision to type the letter as a way of trying to warn the authorities.

Republicans have accused Ms. Stone-Manning of lying about her connection to the incident and branded her an “eco-terrorist.”

“It’s hard to imagine a nominee more disqualified than Tracy Stone-Manning,” said Senator John Barrasso, Republican of Wyoming and ranking member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. “Every Senate Democrat will be responsible for her confirmation.”

Democrats stood unanimously behind Ms. Stone-Manning on Thursday. They noted that the tree-spiking incident occurred when she was in her 20s and argued that she was aiding the authorities. They described her as someone who spent the subsequent decades building bridges between environmentalists, ranchers and fossil fuel interests.

“She is someone who knows the value of collaboration, she is someone who can listen, who can reason, that knows our public lands, that’s recreated on our public lands her whole life,” said Senator Jon Tester, Democrat of Montana, who employed Ms. Stone-Manning as an aide and has known her for two decades.

Most recently Ms. Stone-Manning was the senior adviser for conservation policy at the National Wildlife Federation, a nonprofit conservation group. She has also worked as an aide to former Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock of Montana and has served as the head of Montana’s environment agency.

Emily Cochrane contributed reporting.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It usually comes down to incestuous payback for being a party loyalist, qualifications are down the list a ways.

One that really bothers me to is Grandholm for energy secretary. She has zero qualifications for the job, besides being a mouthpiece for the lefty agenda.

They’d have no qualms putting an anti-hunter in charge of a fish & game department. Yes, very sadly, much will permeate after Biden is gone.

I don’t try to fast forward time, but hoping once the campaign season for the midterms ramps up, this nightmare wanes a bit. The only viable way to get control is he loses the House, Senate, or hopefully both next Fall.

Posts: 6175 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
It usually comes down to incestuous payback for being a party loyalist, qualifications are down the list a ways.

One that really bothers me to is Grandholm for energy secretary. She has zero qualifications for the job, besides being a mouthpiece for the lefty agenda.
What you're describing is indeed the old way political paybacks are made to supporting characters. What we're seeing this time around is very different. To confirming this nitwit to run BLM who's essentially a environmental terrorist and hates oil and gas, to the nitwit they're trying to confirm as Comptroller of the Currency who hates banks and is clearly a communist, to trying to confirm Chipman as head of ATF who hates firearms and the US Constitution, these are not paybacks. This is an active effort to nominate and confirm people who absolutely hate this country and are hell bent on destroying it. At this point I'd welcome a lack of knowledge and experience over people who's only agenda is to destroy what they are entrusted to manage.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Haaland and Stone-Manning will make quite a pair. One has absolutely no experience and the other an eco-terrorist.

Posts: 5698 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Domestic terrorists" remain imprisoned for walking through the US capitol, while avowed and proven eco-terrorists are elevated to positions of power within the government.

Makes perfect sense if one looks at the bigger picture.

And, of course, our wonderful Senator Tester voted "Yea". No surprise there. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Things I can’t control… why even give it any thought? It’s temporary as others stated and quite honestly, as a Tennessean, I really don’t give a shit about Washington DC anymore.

Posts: 2967 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
So what else new? Political favoritism is abundant on both sides of the aisle! Metal spikes are 'detectable' ceramic ones are not. Bandsaws at the mills are vulnerable, chainsaws not so much. Gotta wonder how this is going to enhance 'wildfire' mitigation.

Note that the "ability to do the job" is the only qualification for most government positions (not jobs), skills and experience are not required!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
biden has done EVERYTHING he could possibly do to destroy this country.

You could not author a better plan to crush the US than he has.

Everybody he has appointed has been a true believer and radical communist.