SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turntables - GEM Dandy PolyTable - The UPDATE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turntables - GEM Dandy PolyTable - The UPDATE Login/Join 
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted
I've posted this on a couple audio forums and have gotten zilch. Should've come here first. Big Grin

Thanks to Hurricane Michael I'll be getting a new system...except for speakers I believe.

I've been reading great things about the GEM Dandy PolyTable. Any body have any experience? Clear Audio Concept is also in my sights. I like the Mitchell Gyro SE, but after adding tonearm and cartridge I imagine that'll be out of my price range when all is said and done. I don't have anywhere near close to go listen in person - so that sucks.

Also, I'm leaning towards the Schiit Freya pre-amp. For amps I'm thinking Schiit Vidar's or NuPrime STA-9's - either will be two units running bridged mono. Speakers -if they're good to go - are Revel Performa M22's (85db/6 ohm).

Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RIC.45,

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
GEM Dandy PolyTable

No experience with the GEM but owning a Merrill modified The AR table I can attest to George's prowess when it comes to TT designs and tweaks. He's been around a LONG time as a major innovator FWIW. Cost seems reasonable given the prices of other high end tables. I really like the Super 12 version. Big Grin

I'm running a DIY SUT (step up transformer) for my low output Denon DL-304 and DL-103D moving coil cartridges through a full featured preamp. Currently an Odyssey Tempest. Past included gear such as the Phase Linear 3000 Series II, and Marshall Leach Low TIM preamps.

And I listen through modified, subwoofer augmented, biamped Magneplanar MGIIIa's. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
In case I didn't make it clear, my opinion is the GEM (George E. Merrill) unit is the best of the 3 you cited. And I like the 12" over the 9/10" arm version.

Ranking them I'd place the Mitchell second and the Clear Audio third.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input!!

The more I read more the more I lean towards the GEM. I'm liking the Super 12 as well. Gonna have to see how the money works out. I figure a Ortofon 2m Red will hold me for a while and I'll save for either the Hana EL or Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III.

Rick

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hana is a terrific cartridge. I'm running the SL on a VPI Classic table and love the sound...

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III.

I have this cartridge, the low output one, on my Sota Star Sapphire. Excellent sound, great soundstage, extremely detailed.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16719 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Let us know what you end up deciding. Big Grin

My old school 1983 vintage AR TT with Merrill mods and other tweaks. My arm is a Sumiko Premier MMT (with PIB-1 interface box, HS-12 headshell and an available MMT VTA-16 base which isn't installed) which was made by Jelco back in the day. Jelco's TS-550L arm on the GEM Polytable reflects the same overall tried and true classic design.
An Orsonic AV-1S headshell with a second Denon MC cart sits on the right of the table.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
An update - finally. Summer 2020 I ordered and picked up a Rogue Audio Magnum 3 integrated tube amp.

Dec 2020 I finally decided on and ordered the GEM Dandy PolyTable w/a 10" TK-850M MKII tonearm. It currently has an Ortofon 2m red cartridge. In due time it will be fitted with a Nagaoka MP-150 cart.

Between post office delays and forgotten parts - it to about 3 weeks to get it set up.

This setup sounds great!!! Perhaps a bit thin on bass with some recordings - but the midrange more than makes up for that (especially since I'm going thru tubes.

So there you have it. A little over two years after Hurricane Michael and my stereo is replaced and up'n runnin'. And thanks to mold - I ended up claiming 80 albums on insurance. Fortunately I had placed all my favs out of harms way and was able to get them out of the house before to mold started.

Rick

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RIC.45,

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well done Rick. Would love to see some pictures. Regardless enjoy in good health!

I am curious about your choice of the Nagaoka in this turntable.

FWIW my first move from some pretty decent MM carts to MC was a Denon DL-301 I bought in 1983 in Akihabara Japan. In years since I've heard numerous high and very high end (read: VERY expensive) MC carts in other folks systems. But that DL-301 made me a Denon MC sound fan since. The pair I have on hand are the DL-304 and DL-103D. Both outstanding in my system.
(System description: https://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/320.html )

USN (RET), COTEP #192