SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on bug out bags please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on bug out bags please Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

I used google and quickly became overwhelmed. I found pre-made bug out bags on amazon for $50 and suspect they would be fine for my needs. But I would like to hear from those with experience in the matter. What do I need?

Situation will likely be out exploring from a camper campsite out in the Rockies in Wyoming. Ninety percent of our time is day hiking, rock hunting, varmint shooting, and general enjoyment of the scenery. Rarely climb anything very tall.

Thank you in advance!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... You are looking for recommendations for a day pack and related gear for a hike from an established campsite, right?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, I think that sums it up.

Jim

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I bookmarked this one hour video a couple years ago and I re-watch is every six months or so. Pretty sound advice from this guy.

Bugout Bag

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
So... You are looking for recommendations for a day pack and related gear for a hike from an established campsite, right?

quote:
Yes sir, I think that sums it up.

So it sounds like not really a bug out bag but a backpack and gear to get around for a day out in the middle nowhere and some extras in case things don't go right.

I spend time in some semi-remote places. Gear depends on conditions and some other things. Are you looking for like extra clothes, small first aid stuff, extra food, shelter?

Not sure really what you looking for.

BTW what's between your ears is the most important thing. Knowing how to move, navigate and deal with different situations is king over any piece of gear.

I can give you gear advice though if I understand what your looking for.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
email sent.

John Sanders Smile

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
REI carries excellent gear, and had educational resources available online.
Here is their day hike gear check list-
https://www.rei.com/learn/expe...iking-checklist.html

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thank you to those who posted links or emailed me lists. Very helpful!

I guess I am looking for a day pack.

Thanks again!

Jim

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We have been very happy with the fit and durability of the Osprey line of backpacks. They have a nice mesh back panel that holds the pack slightly off your back so you don’t sweat too much and they fit well. Here is the updated version of the one we have.

https://www.rei.com/product/11...stratos-34-pack-mens

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6322 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Every fall I go elk hunting. 2 or 3 of us hike in 7 miles with 6 - 8 llamas to setup a base camp. From there we hunt for 5 - 7 days. I use the REI day pack below. It's discontinued, but I love my pack. It's designed to carry a hydration bladder (CamelBak), which I view as essential for any day pack. I go with a 2 liter bladder over the standard 1 liter. I also usually carry an additional 32 oz of water in a Nalgene bottle.

I usually take enough stuff so I don't die if I get lost. 1 large Mtn House meal and candy bars/energy bars. I also carry several things to start a fire with and a space blanket in case I need to spend a night lost. A Jet boil is a must for cooking the Mtn House meals. I also have to pack enough bags and gear to field dress the elk if I get one.

It's a balancing act between being able to stuff enough gear in case you get lost, and not having a pack so heavy you have a hard time walking around. I probably do 2 - 5 miles per day looking for elk.

Since you are going to be field dressing an animal you could probably get a smaller pack.

My REI Pack

ETA: 1 thing I like about my pack is I can lay it down and unzip the entire large compartment. I have a buddy who can't do this. He always seems to need something that's buried and he has to take a lot of stuff out of his pack to find what he's looking for. I'd suggest getting a pack that you can unzip the entire circumference.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The bag is not as important as what is in it, IMHO. After crossing the country multiple times over four years, often with very very little notice, I got better at packing. And knowing what I can leave behind.

Good strap, watch the weight, many items can have multiple uses. A piece of good chrome tape, for instance, can repair metal, cloth, etc, and also be used for emergency stitches. It takes up almost no weight.

I've got several bags but an adjustable shoulder strap is on all of them.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You want a lightweight 25-40 liter pack with either an aluminum frame stay or HDPE frame sheet with a load bearing waist strap. Smaller is better.

The REI Ruckpack and Trail series of backs are phenomenal values in this category. Osprey makes great packs as well.

In it, for a day trip from a Basecamp, you will need the 10 essentials. Google it for about a million ways to put together the 10 essentials.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
For my last long multi-day hike, I skipped out on a water bladder and went with 1 liter Nalgene bottles. I much prefer the bottles for versatility, ease of filling from a filtration device, cleaning after adding electrolytes, and durability over a water bladder now. Hygiene was also much improved, especially if sharing water with someone.

I also noticed that I hydrated more when using a bottle. I can take big gulps instead of sips from a tube, and found it easier to drink my fill at a stream and refill my bottle, whereas my hiking buddies were reluctant to unpack their bags to get their bladders out. They would drink from my bottle because it was easier to refill.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Thank you for all the input!

Jim

Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
For my last long multi-day hike, I skipped out on a water bladder and went with 1 liter Nalgene bottles. I much prefer the bottles for versatility, ease of filling from a filtration device, cleaning after adding electrolytes, and durability over a water bladder now. Hygiene was also much improved, especially if sharing water with someone.

I also noticed that I hydrated more when using a bottle. I can take big gulps instead of sips from a tube, and found it easier to drink my fill at a stream and refill my bottle, whereas my hiking buddies were reluctant to unpack their bags to get their bladders out. They would drink from my bottle because it was easier to refill.

I agree with all of this. My wife and I go camping and day hiking about a dozen times a year and neither of us use camelback/water bladders anymore. We backpack on 3-5 days trips once or twice a year, ripped out the bladders from our backpacks. Nalgene 24oz flip tops for day to day drinking, 32oz and 48oz "silo" wide mouth for storage on backpack sides or to drink throughout the day. Wide mouth and flip top OTG are interchangable.

I find bottles to be superior because they are:

- Easier to clean
- Easier to refill
- Easier to drink from
- Easier to use with drip, suck, squeeze, or gravity water filtration (and I've used them all)

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Aeteocles pointed out, you're looking for something in the 25-40 liter range that's designed for weight bearing. Ideally, if you can get your kit into a smaller pack, do so; too many people go too big or, unrealistically large, then end-up filling it up with too much 'just in-case' items. If this is your day-hike pack, go with a minimal survival set-up, then include your water, food stuffs, necessary medication and the maps of the area you'll be in. Don't over do it, remember you're getting out to enjoy the outdoors, don't make it a burden.

For a solid pack in this range, with weight bearing suspension, you're looking at least a starting budget of $100 and it can rapidly climb upwards depending on quality of materials, general construction, features and if it's made in the US. Osprey, Gregory, Dueter, Mystery Ranch, REI brand, Kelty, TNF, MHW, Arc'Teryx, Granite Gear, 5.11, Tyr Tactical, London Bridge, Hill People Gear, etc...all of these outdoor & tactical brands produce backpacks in this size range. Its a very crowded category and competitive category, much will depend on what features you're looking for and budget. The more zippers are pack has, the more things can break, learn to segment your internal items into separate pouches and bags.

There's a number of clearance sites, check out REI.com, Zappos.com, Backcountry.com to name a few.

This is the first of a two part series, that may help provide perspective
https://soundcloud.com/fieldcr...e-167-bug-out-part-1

Another good channel to resource from

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello again!

Excellent stuff - I’m thinking the day pack idea is exactly what I’m after. Keep ‘em coming!

Thank you!!

James

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
REI has a good selection and I normally suggest you go there and try some on but that not going to happen right now. Many of the packs at sporting good stores are more for carrying stuff around school or to and from work, not for miles on your back.

I stay away from the "tactical" ones with webbing everywhere. It just adds weight and I've never needed it. YMMV.

Here are some I look for and like in a pack.

-Good waist belt with pockets
-Mesh pockets on the side to stuff water bottles and other stuff in
-Hydration sleeve if you plan on using a bladder.
-Mesh front stuff area(great for shoving stuff you want to get to quickly or a wet jacket after a quick downpour)

Size it to your needs. Having a pack that's too small means leaving something out but to big and it doesn't always ride well on your back. Also to big and you're likely to stuff too much stuff in it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Something with a sturdy handle and stout pouch works... CaB-2

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

that cracked me up
what else is sold out ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post