SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kindle Paperwhite vs Voyager
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kindle Paperwhite vs Voyager Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I am an avid reader. I currently have the Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. Is there any appreciable difference in the Paperwhite and the Voyager to justify upgrading to the Voyager?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as well. I've read over 100 books on my Paperwhite and can't fathom anything much better reading in every environment without having to screw around.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The big difference is that you don't have to touch the screen to turn a page as you have buttons on the side. I hated that limitation on the Paperwhite. The Voyager still has the touch screen feature but I prefer the side "button" feature. Outside of that, nothing significant in my mind. Check memory I guess.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
BB61 nailed it.

The biggest user difference is side buttons. The only reason I haven't gotten the Paperwhite is the missing buttons. The Voyager is the solution.

Now I'm just waiting for the price to drop a bit more.

Cheers~

Posts: 921 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Is the voyager an new kindle or a different reader entirely. My wife loves her paperwhite. I've read a couple books on it but I really miss the buttons on the old kindle.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
The Voyager just has a few tweeks:

Kindle Voyage: 180g, 7.6mm thick, magnesium back, PagePress buttons
Kindle Voyage: 6-inch, 300ppi, micro-etched glass, adaptive front light
Kindle Voyage: 4GB on device storage, free cloud storage, 3G and Wi-Fi options

Kindle Paperwhite: 205g, 9.1mm thick, plastic body with soft touch back
Kindle Paperwhite: 6-inch, 300ppi, plastic Paperwhite Carta e-paper display
Kindle Paperwhite: 2GB on device storage, free cloud storage, 3G and Wi-Fi options

http://www.trustedreviews.com/...vs-kindle-paperwhite

And, since you asked 'our' opinion, stay the hell away from the Oasis model. IMHO it's the Edsel of the Kindle line-up.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I went through the same debate and ended up with a Voyage. It feels very solid and I like the side buttons for page turning. The auto-dim feature is nice when I'm reading in bed at night, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
One thing my Paperwhite has is a slight mottle to the backlight. At first it was a little annoying. but I honestly don't really see it anymore. It seemed like it was a common issue at the time, mine is older. I didn't know there was also an update to the Paperwhite screen.

I do like reading that the Voyager has a flat screen, not a recessed one. I do get annoyed at dust and hair getting trapped in the corner. Minor first world problem I know....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have the paperwhite, my wife the voyager. Both are good but I'm picking up the Oasis and giving my paperwhite to my daughter. The voyager is smaller/thinner/lighter and Oasis is "more" of that. Sceen is actually a bit sharper to my eyes.

That said - the paperwhite is very very nice. I love reading a physical book but packing a library on a single device, quickly getting the next book in a series or "Something" to read is fantastic.

Suggest you join BookBub if you do this - daily email with book deals based on your preferences. "Free" ".99 cents" or "1.99" - haven't spent anymore on it. Just this morning picked up a book on the battle of britain for 1.99.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggest you join BookBub if you do this - daily email with book deals based on your preferences. "Free" ".99 cents" or "1.99" - haven't spent anymore on it. Just this morning picked up a book on the battle of britain for 1.99.

Thanks for this tip. I just joined and got a book for $1.99 for my Paperwhite that I love and see no reason to change.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
looks like the charging port on my Paperwhite has finally given out. Looks like it will be a PITA to repair.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I won both and prefer the Paperwhite. I do not like the buttons as it requires me to hold the thing the same way every time. I want to move it around in my hand once in awhile.

I use the Voyager because I gave the Paperwhite to my wife but often wish I had it back.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Voyage. It's thinner and lighter than the Paperwhite, and has more storage. Besides the haptic feedback buttons already mentioned, its backlight also has an auto-adjusting sensor. The Paperwhite's has to be adjusted manually.

However, if the question is about value and not just which has better features, I'd say the Paperwhite is a lot of bang for the buck for most readers.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post