SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some Help Critiqueing A Book, Please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Help Critiqueing A Book, Please. Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
I have written a science fiction book, entitled "The Sequence". It is currently at 73,415 words, so it's quite a short read. As it stands, it is more in novella form now, than novel.

I began writing it in 2000, but I have only touched it from time to time throughout the years. The last time I worked on it was 2015, completing the story in it's current form.

Are there any critics that would seriously give it a run through and tell me what you think. I am not as interested in how good it is as much as I am in what about it doesn't work. If you have a couple of hours and can critique my work in a harsher fashion (but tempered with kindness!), I would appreciate it. The question really is, do I have anything I can work with here? And, am I just wasting my time?

If you are interested, I will send you a 150 word very brief synopsis to your email, to help you decide. I would like to get as many as five people to assist me, but I will take what I can get.

Thank you.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
H&K,

I'll be glad to take a look. I've done a good bit of beta reading/editing for other writers on FanFiction.net and have written a number of stories of my own, including some sci-fi fanfiction for the original Battlestar Galactica (including a novella), some fantasy work for Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser and Skyrim, and stories for several western series. My most recent effort has been a Hogan's Heroes Christmas story.

My original fantasy novel is still incomplete after 25-plus years, so I salute your effort to keep moving your story forward. I'll make sure my e-mail is in my profile after finishing this post.

VST

Edit: E-mail added in profile, but you'll need to take out the spaces. Also, it will be a few days before I'll be back in town to be able to look at it.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have never written fiction, but I have done a fair amount of technical writing.

I might be useful taking a look at things like spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc.

My email address is in my profile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be happy to read, long time sci-fi reader

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If you want to e-mail me the full version I will go through it and send you my feedback.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have published professionally, but not fiction. I would be glad and honored to give it a read.
David

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
StarTraveler, V-Tail, elmer, and ZpinZone, you have mail!

Thank you guys so much for giving my work a once over. You literally can Not offend me. I will accept any help you can offer.

H&K-Guy

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Happy to do it. And for fun, I'll send you the first 1500 words of my historical set in 1856 and you can decide if I know what I'm doing and tell me what you think as well.

<edited email out>

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
E-mail received and reply sent!

For others who might be interested, you can print the story to a PDF and store it on your phone in Books. I did and I'm looking forward to reading it on our trip over the holidays.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for participating in my short story.

I guess I don't need any more help than what I've got. The six of you are more of a help than you realize. I've never put my work 'out there' before. I value your opinions.

Thank you guys!

H&K-Guy

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I would be glad to help. Flip me the whole thing and I will critique.

Looks like we were typing at the same time. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I’d be happy to have a look. The title already sounds like something I would pick up and consider. The email in my profile is gtg.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post