SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leather care for vehicle seats, what do we like?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leather care for vehicle seats, what do we like? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Have a vehicle with leather seats for the first time in a while, wondering what everyone is using on their seats to clean and rejuvenate?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigM4,

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leather car for vehicle seats, what do we like?

I didn’t think cars came in Cow skin?

Steel, aluminum, composite, etc. I’ve heard of it…

For the leather seats… I use Lexol conditioner

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wipe them with a damp cloth, dry and use Lexol. It will smell like a King Ranch pickup.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have used Lexol for years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Seems unanimous, Lexol it is. Thanks everyone!

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The important part is to use a good leather conditioner on a regular basis. I do mine at least twice a year on our vehicles and leather still looks good after more than 10 years. My son's car is a 2005 and still looks good.

The one I've been using lately is from Mequires.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the vehicle.

Brand new vehicle:
  • a leather coating. It lasts a long time but is expensive and it requires skill
  • all in one product (this is me and I use Blackfire Leather Complete) - cleans, conditions, and UV protects in one step. It’s for people who regularly maintain their leather and aren’t messy. It’s not for people who rarely clean leather, people who slop food and grime all over their seats, etc. I rarely eat in my truck, no kids ever in it, conscientious about not making a mess, etc so I do this monthly and a quick touch up in rare event it’s needed.
  • two step product (eg - Lexol leather care kit) dedicated cleaner (ie more powerful than all in one) and follow up with 2nd step containing conditioner and UV protection. More work but handles bigger messes.

Used - really depends on what OP means by rejuvenate:
  • worn off dye - specialty detailer who cleans, redyes, and reapplies clear coat. Afterward, owner can maintain any of 3 ways in new car section
  • kind of rough but less than above. There are specialty rejuvenation products (eg Griots Garage Leather Rejuvenator that are used until desired results achieved and then the owner switches to any of 3 ways in new car section.
  • decent (mainly dirty and/or dull) - two step product (eg - Lexol leather care kit)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Tooky13
    posted Hide Post
    I scrub my leather seats with saddle soap about twice a year and then apply Lexol. My wife's Lexus is going on 20 years and the seats still look great.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I use Connolly's Hide Food, and have used it for the last 30-40 years. It is not cheap, but is excellent. I use it in my cars and on my leather furniture. A little goes a long way.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
    Picture of Jelly
    posted Hide Post
    What make and model car? Very very few car manufacturers use real leather in their vehicles these days. Most all of them have been using a synthetic leather for a dozen years or more.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^And even the ones that have actual leather are often "enhanced" with synthetic treatments to make them hold up better.

The “POLICE"
    Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
    Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    I have always been a fan of Zymol products. Their leather care products were quite fantastic to use when I had red leather in my BMW.

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In the yahd, not too
    fah from the cah
    Picture of ryan81986
    posted Hide Post
    The Lexol cleaner is great, as is their conditioner. However the conditioner has been known to darken leather so if it's anything other than black I'd go with Bick 4. Or just go with Bick 4 anyway because it is a great conditioner as well. But the Lexol does smell better.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I run trains!
    Picture of SigM4
    posted Hide Post
    ^Good to know. Luckily it’s black, and to answer an earlier question it’s a 2016 Acura MDX.

Complacency sucks…

Picture of NapoleonSolo
    posted Hide Post
    Do you want the best? A serious question. If so, this is the answer: Leatherique.com
    I have used Leatherique cleaner and leather conditioner for years. It started when I bought an older Jag with the Connolly leather. The drivers seat was a bit rough and needed a lot of love. When I was through conditioning, cleaning and conditioning,I was shocked at how well the leather looked. I have used their products on all of my cars and trucks and many of my vehicles end up with 150K and by taking care of the leather, they look like they have 30k on the interior. I am just a strong believer in their leather products and nothing more. Look up the reviews and you won't be disappointed. One last thing, their products are right in line price wise with the stuff we think is good but in reality is just second best.Don't take my word for it,look it up! Just my not so humble opinion on a fantastic product.

“Our actions may be impeded...
    But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    It really depends on the vehicle.
    ^^^Winner. What vehicle? How old is it? What overall condition are the seats in (maybe a pic or two)? Are they real leather or 'kinda' leather? There is no one product or product line for leather care in cars. Until you've supplied all the missing pieces of this story, making any sort of recommendation is foolhardy.
    quote:
    Originally posted by NapoleonSolo:
    Do you want the best? A serious question. If so, this is the answer: Leatherique.com
    Bologna. On 'real' (i.e. older and/or collector car) leather, yes, Leatherique is an excellent product. On the leather (or kinda leather) in 'most' new cars, Leatherique is mega overkill in terms of price and works no better than a number of far less expensive products. Again, there is no one answer to interior leather care in cars, hence the reason there are dozens of current products available, many of which are very good.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post