SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for an FFL in North Utah
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an FFL in North Utah Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
Does anyone know a good FFL in the Sandy area? Mine retired recently and I'd love to find a new one.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be farther away than you'd like, but Ample Arms in West Point comes to mind.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I use this ffl and he has been great. He is in West Jordan.

Long Dog Tactical

Address:
Rick Woolsey
5126 W 8820 s

West Jordan , UT 84081

Hours:
5pm-7pm Mon-Fri, 10am-5pm Sat, Closed Sunday

Phone:
801-201-9521

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you both!

posted Hide Post
On a related note, a question for Utah residents.

My son is in his last year at BYU. He has a rental agreement with his apartment. He gets a paycheck from a Utah business (brick and motor, doctor's office). He has two vehicles titled in his name with Utah titles. He's lived there for 3 years but retains a CA drivers license.

Is he considered a Utah resident even though he doesn't have a Utah DL? Can he purchase a handgun from a local Utah gun store or online (Gunbroker)?

Thanks
Russ

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
What is he going to do with it when he is done school? Is he planning to stay in the state or go back to the zoo?

posted Hide Post
He will NEVER buy a firearm in Utah with a CA DL. Does he have a Utah CFP? He'll need a government-issued ID w/photo that displays his current residential address. That's my understanding, but it's been a few years since I've been involved in firearm retail.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
He will NEVER buy a firearm in Utah with a CA DL. Does he have a Utah CFP? He'll need a government-issued ID w/photo that displays his current residential address. That's my understanding, but it's been a few years since I've been involved in firearm retail.

This. I have seen several people with Utah ID and an old address refused.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
My cousin was refused last week as he had just moved. He had to go get a new Utah DL, with his current address, before they would process the sale.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
What is he going to do with it when he is done school? Is he planning to stay in the state or go back to the zoo?

He's applied to med schools late in his Jr year, but no offers yet. He's gonna reapply to a bunch this spring and summer. My guess is that he'll be in Provo at least through the end of 2021. I think he hoped to hold onto CA residency in case it benefited him for any CA med schools.

I'll encourage him to get a Utah DL. What's a CFP? Concealed firearms permit?

And Chris, didn't you work at Gunnie's in Orem? Or at least point me in that direction when I was looking for a Sig 516 about 5 years ago? Small world.

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russ59, have him look into just getting a Utah State ID. I am fairly certain that the state issued id with his current physical address in Provo will allow him to legally purchase the gun.

I am very close if he has any questions. I can also refer him to a person that will come to him and present the required classroom session needed for applying for the concealed firearm permit. Takes about 3 hours to get through the class. Definitely feel free to reach out if you need anything at all.

Too funny, I just noticed that you are in the same area where my mother currently resides. I wish I could claim to be even close to your son's age, my college days (OUCH) were decades ago.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

And Chris, didn't you work at Gunnie's in Orem? Or at least point me in that direction when I was looking for a Sig 516 about 5 years ago? Small world.

I did and it is!

posted Hide Post
Revisiting this topic - anyone familiar with Utah's background check? Essentially, how long after securing a hard copy driver license can a Utah resident walk into Cabela's and use that license to purchase? I assume the background system checks for law enforcement issues (arrests, warrants, convictions etc that prevent gun ownership) while the DL is to prove residency.

P229

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
15 Minutes (give or take) !!

I walked out of the DMV with a "Paper License" and went directly to the local firearms shop and made a purchase.

I did still have my old out of state license with a picture, but I don't think if they even wanted to see it.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post