SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Liability question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liability question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I do not have garbage service. But today, unbenounced to me they deliver a residential can to me. When I discovered it they turned around in my driveway and I noticed a bunch of liquid standing there. It had been there awhile and was not soaking in like water would. Had a strange smell to it as well. I took pix of it.
Has probably been there for at least three hours and is mostly still there on top of the ground.

I called the company to report it. The lady was very nice and thanked me for not being irrate over it. She said a supervisor will be in touch, proably tomorrow.

Would else should I do? What would you do and how would you expect the company to handle such a thing?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would expect the company to come out and clean up the mess. With most companies there is not a problem.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine it's just dumpster juice which shouldn't really cause an issue as far as damage, just the annoying smell until it's cleaned up.

As for liability, I used to handle commercial auto liability for a living. If it was oil or something else which actually causes damage to your driveway they will be liable for fixing it in whatever way that may need to be done. Whether it be re-sealing, patching or re-paving.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
I am thinking it is some kind of fluid. Maybe synthetic. It is on the actual ground. Not pavement.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Grass or just dirt?

Either way if there's actual damage that needs to be fixed or hazmat remediation that needs to be done that will be on them as well.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It is a grass dirt combination area that gets driven on.
Yes it may need some remediation due to its location.
In your experience would the company pay the homeowner a settlement for the trouble caused to them by their actions in a matter like this?

Thanks Ryan

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
No, when it's property damage only you will only be paid the actual amount required to put the property back into the condition it was in prior to the loss.

There are no "pain and suffering" or other types of inconvenience payments made for property damage.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks Ryan. I appreciate it.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
No problem at all. If you have any other questions or need help let me know.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a picture of this and some idea of how long your driveway is.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Based on 40 years in the general insurance business, I would add to Ryan’s good information that there can be additional payments made for extra actual costs incurred while repairs are being made. In addition to legal fees incurred trying to collect the original amounts.

My lawyer brother just collected $9000 from his local gas company that damaged his garden brick wall while laying a new gas line that was originally estimated as a $2000 repair. The gas company had dicked around and found themselves scheduled for a court hearing with a $10,000 estimated bill from their own law firm.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could get one of those Camp Lejuene lawyers to run an ad campaign. Did the waste company dump smelly pink stuff in YOUR driveway?? It happened to ORC and could happen to you! Followed by a list of diseases it may have caused. (Just kidding}

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My question is different...

Why did 'they' whom ever 'they' are, deliver a trash can to you?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it rained and it washed away.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post