SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey Costco, it's time to step up your game, if you want a bigger slice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Costco, it's time to step up your game, if you want a bigger slice Login/Join 
posted
Hey Costco
You know what each customer spends per year , on what.

You know what they buy , with or with out special pricing.

you know when they shop and how often.

and you know what they have returned ( what they do not like)

And you know what actually gets them in too the store.

I suggest that you use all the data that you have on people to everyone's advantage.

If you know that John and Marsha just purchased laundry equipment from you ,
do not offer them a special values book with laundry equipment in it for a while.

instead replace that portion of the special value's ad with something that will get them in the store.

you know for a fact that John and Marsha never leave w/o spending $75.00 , so offer them
a special value , and wait for them to buy four other items.

you should never send special value ads to people who can't find at least three things to
pick up.

that's right , personalize your special value ad's to sell more stuff.

you can thank me later
-bendable

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
That would be astronomically expensive. Far beyond any sales gained. Whoever did that would be sacked, if the company didn't go broke first.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
That would be astronomically expensive. Far beyond any sales gained. Whoever did that would be sacked, if the company didn't go broke first.
Not if it's digital and they're using machine learning for the custom, digital ads.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23323 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Not if it's digital and they're using machine learning for the custom, digital ads.

He seems to be talking about print ads. Companies are already doing customized digital.

posted Hide Post
the on line ads will be one size fits all , but the mailer's that they send every month could be personalized .

there has got to be an algorithm for this application.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the on line ads will be one size fits all , but the mailer's that they send every month could be personalized .

there has got to be an algorithm for this application.
Ads on an app could be personalized easier and cheaper than their monthly mailer.

Big Grin For you, they could get you in the door with buy 270 socks get 90 free and then strategically placed so you have to wander the entire store have "deals" on:
  • laundry detergent specially for socks
  • storage bins for socks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23323 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Honky Lips
    Picture of FenderBender
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

High speed printing has come a very long way, if it were all done with machine learning I can't see why it wouldn't be that difficult, maybe spec out a few deals, and have them be one common size and print them in whichever combination would be best for that customer.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Chip away the stone
    Picture of rusbro
    posted Hide Post
    Do the ads feature special pricing, or just regular prices?

"Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bendable:

you know for a fact that John and Marsha never leave w/o spending $75.00 , so offer them
    a special value

Why? That's bad business. Why get less than the $75.00 I know they will always spend? Wink

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Chip away the stone
    Picture of rusbro
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by FenderBender:
    quote:

High speed printing has come a very long way, if it were all done with machine learning I can't see why it wouldn't be that difficult, maybe spec out a few deals, and have them be one common size and print them in whichever combination would be best for that customer.

Admittedly, my initial reply may have been hyperbolic. I believe in the past printers would have considered such a task basically hundreds of thousands of unique print jobs and charged accordingly, but I doubt that would be an issue now, as far as being able to automate the printing the vast number of unique documents.

A probably bigger issue is if the ads feature discount prices targeted to each customer. It seems like everything in the store would have to be on sale.

Bottom line, bendable, you can rest assured the Costco folks have looked deeply into this possibility. You're not telling them anything they haven't already considered. Wink

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    never leave w/o spending $75.00

Could have potential But wouldn't you focus on the top 25% not the bottom?

I don't get out much and don't shop at Costco but spending $75 there seems like a piker.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13410 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rawny
    posted Hide Post
    I'm still waiting for Kirkland Signature value-pak ammos. Frown

Posts: 2665 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bolt Thrower
    Picture of Voshterkoff
    posted Hide Post
    The coupon books are planned long in advance.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    If Kroger can send my wife printed coupons for the stuff she buys frequently, I agree there’s no reason Costco can’t do something similar.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The monthly promotion periods are planned long in advance. The mark-downs are provided by Costco's vendors, Costco is retaining the same margin as if they purchased at regular wholesale. Costco continues to grow their purchases, vendor shrinks their wholesale cost but, with Costco's captive audience they increase their overall market share; good partners get larger incentives.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    kroger had been doing that for a good many years,

it's been 3 -1/2 yrs since I worked for them, ,
    when I was there, DunHumby (IIRC, may have spelled that wrong) was working on the info from the loyalty card purchases,

sales, (register info) would be filtered, and if Marsha bought a lot of organics, she may get some Organic stuff in her mailer,

if her avg spend was $75, she may get a $5 off or $10 off any purchase of $100 or more,

and a CC offer,

and or bonus points towards gas,

some of that was already in place when I left, and more was in the works,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    lyman,

+1 to Kroger and their personalized marketing coupons if that is what they are called. Well targeted to the products we use and to introduce us to similar products from different manufacturers.

Meijer, for those who are not familiar is a large regional chain in the upper Midwest. Their targeted coupons previously did but currently totally miss the mark.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    My local grocery chain (Hannaford's) does that electronically.

I have an app on my phone and I can sort through the offered coupons and "clip" those that I use. When I check out, I enter my phone number (or have them scan a barcode on my phone) and all clipped coupons that I actually bought matching stuff for are automatically deducted from my bill.

There are two other benefits:

1. I get 2% off anything store brand.
    2. I get targeted electronic coupons based on my shopping history.

Easy-peasy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of maladat
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:

He seems to be talking about print ads. Companies are already doing customized digital.

Yeah, this is essentially what the "you might be interested in" section on the homepage and the "you might also be interested in" section on product pages on Amazon and the like are - products that their machine learning models predict you might be interested in based on what people with similar buying habits have bought.

It's been going on for a while.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of gspdude
    posted Hide Post
    Their print ads seem to rotate the same 75 products repeatedly. What bothers me more is the DirectTV salesperson I have to dodge every time I shop there. On a positive note, they have ceased the constant pleas to upgrade my membership in the checkout lines.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post