SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question re Connecting re Apple AirTags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re Connecting re Apple AirTags Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
So, the wife lost her keys again the other day. While not a regular event, the couple of times it's happened has been an hours-long ordeal searching the house, the garage, the yard, etc. After we finally found them this last time, I told her we're getting some AirTags.

I bought a set of four AirTags. One will definitely be going on her key ring. I figure one of the others will go in her suitcase (we have a couple of trips planned this year), and one in her car (for those times when she forgets where she parked). I'll have to find something to hang the other one on (my car and my bike are likely candidates).

My question is whether I should connect these via my phone or hers. I've read that Apple will send alerts to people who have AirTags that seem to be "following" them because they aren't connected to their phones.

It would be much easier for me to connect all the AirTags to my phone, but don't want her getting constant alerts. Is there a way for me to do this?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Air Tags do not provide an exact enough location to find things left around the house. They will let you know if the location is not in the general vicinity, but you can't do a colder/warmer search for a tag.

WRT to the "which device do I pair with?" question: it isn't the device that is the controlling entity, but the Apple ID that was used to pair the Air Tag. Any device that is logged into the specific Apple ID account will be able to track the location. However, you can't share the Air Tag with another Apple ID. You can track your spouse's (or whoever's) phone or other Apple device if they give permission, just not the Air Tag itself. The person will get periodic notifications that there is an Air Tag "traveling with them" if it is registered to an Apple ID not their own.

Just as an aside, the Air Tag location shown is usually less accurate, and more delayed than phone/device tracking.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Air tags can be shared with more than one iPhone according to instructions. They can also beep to help you locate them when you are close. At least this is what is posted on Amazon.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2893 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
AirTags can be shared as mentioned above and don’t have to alert you all the time if you don’t want too.

I just ordered more and am installing them in all our vehicles in order to track them down if they get stolen. You can disable the speaker to keep a thief from finding it if they have an iPhone too. Just YouTube it.

Also, I bought these to attach the AirTags to hidden surfaces in our vehicles. They work great (so far…).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z...product_details&th=1

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Air Tags do not provide an exact enough location to find things left around the house. They will let you know if the location is not in the general vicinity, but you can't do a colder/warmer search for a tag.

WRT to the "which device do I pair with?" question: it isn't the device that is the controlling entity, but the Apple ID that was used to pair the Air Tag. Any device that is logged into the specific Apple ID account will be able to track the location. However, you can't share the Air Tag with another Apple ID. You can track your spouse's (or whoever's) phone or other Apple device if they give permission, just not the Air Tag itself. The person will get periodic notifications that there is an Air Tag "traveling with them" if it is registered to an Apple ID not their own.

Just as an aside, the Air Tag location shown is usually less accurate, and more delayed than phone/device tracking.

The”find my” app will Walk you directly to the air tag if you lose it. Gives you a direction arrow and a distance to the air tag. You can play a sound from the air tag as well. I use it more than I care to admit.

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I track the AirTag on my key ring to find them in my house. It tells me how many feet away and the direction to travel to find it. When I get within a few feet, sometimes I have to make it make a sound.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to connect all the AirTags with my Apple ID. I'll revisit if she starts getting notifications that she's being tracked.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post