Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Austin LGS Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
I’ll be in Austin this Friday and will have a few hours to kill. Is there a good LGS in the area? I’m shopping for a long fun, maybe Ruger Precision Rifle or similar, and want to do some window shopping.

Coming across I-10 from the East if it matters. Leaving Augusta GA tomorrow (Thursday) morning at zero dark thirty.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
McBrides on Lamar, central AUTX. Best for shotguns and hunting rifles

GT Distributors, north AUTX, police suply store

Cabalas in Buda, south of AUTX

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one I am still going to is GT Dist.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
The only one I am still going to is GT Dist.
Do Police Supply shops sell to non-LEO?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
GT Dist will sell to anyone. I got many good deals there.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Red's in probably 5-years, but I quit going after I started using GT Dist. Although I rarely make the trek to N Austin. The Range in S Austin has some cool stuff, but forget about deals.

Posts: 2056 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
When you get to Houston on I-10 stop by Collectors Firearms, it’s a museum you can buy from. Best use of your time on this trip.

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
When you get to Houston on I-10 stop by Collectors Firearms, it’s a museum you can buy from. Best use of your time on this trip.

HK Ag

That is a fun place for sure! Be sure to check out their used mags. A couple years ago I picked up 3 229 mags for 10 bucks a piece! yowza!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There's Elite Guns up on Parmer Lane if you're into AKs and ComBloc-era EBRs in general. Their prices aren't cheap, but the window shopping is often good. The only problem, and it's a doozy, is that traffic from anywhere you'd come into town from I-10 to Parmer Lane and back generally sucks badly from about 10-11 AM onward on Fridays. It's an Austin thing - we seem to be convinced that our local road network is somehow really bad in a deeply interesting and innovative way that creates a distinct sense of place, history and community.

Having said that, if you wind up hitting Collector's Firearms and McBrides on this trip you'll have definitely hit the two better places in Texas on your route.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
If you want to see something specific, try Academy. I think they have each store's inventory online.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post