SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm sick. High winds damaged my vintage telescope *UPDATE pg 3; FIXED pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm sick. High winds damaged my vintage telescope *UPDATE pg 3; FIXED pg 4* Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Yes a day trip, but as a disabled C patient I've been basically sequestered here at home since March. Great neighbors get my groceries, mail, put out trash, etc. Last attempt at a leisurely road trip was well over a year ago to see the changing colors in Spearfish Canyon. That run lasted a hair over an hour and I was totally exhausted. And yeah I really miss enjoying my S2000 this way. This year it saw a total of TWO miles on the clock from my son putting air in the tires.

Yeah, that's why I suggested calling them, someone out there might be willing to make a house call... They probably know just about every hard core telescope user in SD...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I watched the Weather Channel reporting the hurricane type winds in the Plains region the past few days,

Am sorry hearing of your misfortune.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to kick you while down but if you were to leave it out. Did you not consider staking it down. In your neck of the woods this was bound to happen sooner than later. Wild weather happens there.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Yes a day trip, but as a disabled C patient I've been basically sequestered here at home since March. Great neighbors get my groceries, mail, put out trash, etc. Last attempt at a leisurely road trip was well over a year ago to see the changing colors in Spearfish Canyon. That run lasted a hair over an hour and I was totally exhausted. And yeah I really miss enjoying my S2000 this way. This year it saw a total of TWO miles on the clock from my son putting air in the tires.

Yeah, that's why I suggested calling them, someone out there might be willing to make a house call... They probably know just about every hard core telescope user in SD...

Got an offer of a free repair from an experienced guy in Denver but we both agree that a 5.5 - 6 hour road trip each way is a bit much all things considered. Same with shipping.

Sadly I know of no experienced / knowledgeable folks close to me who could be engaged to effect repairs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
man that sucks

if it can't be repaired, let me know

I have a contact at a company here in Tucson called Stellarvision. The owner, Frank Lopez, is a good friend. Might be able to work a deal on a new tube.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Bald1.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got an offer of a free repair from an experienced guy in Denver but we both agree that a 5.5 - 6 hour road trip each way is a bit much all things considered. Same with shipping.

I dunno, I'd take him up on this one I think, especially considering the damage mentioned. Free repair would cover shipping for me even if I still had to buy the parts. Don't think even in a city, many could competently complete repairs. But keep looking if something doesn't check all the boxes. Best of luck bald1 !!! Sux to lose something like that.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Weaseldriver
posted Hide Post
Feel bad about your telescope but worse hearing that you're ill. I know, I probably haven't been paying attention.

What's the problem with shipping to the Denver guy - too expensive or you can't get it packaged correctly?

P.S. I did notice when you said the "run lasted a hair over an hour..."

Posts: 468 | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
sad way to lose a nice set up; I had a similar but considerably less $ disaster when someone knocked over my 3" refractor a mere 50 years ago. I still recall the sort of gasping & hollow in the pit of my stomach.

Maybe the Denver guy would like a couple day/overnight trip out of his area if expenses were somehow covered. I bet the viewing in Spearfish is great this time of year?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet the viewing in Spearfish is great this time of year?

That's an hour west of me. Much much better is an hour east into the Badlands which has almost no light pollution. Big Grin

Just checked. Winds in the region were CRAZY the last 48 hours. Nebraska had >105 mph which is Cat2 hurricane stuff. We had 81mph at the Rapid City SD airport and 77mph downtown. 93mph north-northwest of us.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Are these gusts or sustained?? If I recall correctly there are not a lot of trees to fall on homes. We are still cleaning up from Zeta which happened in October. The power company cut 1700 trees off of lines in just our county. Anything over 75mph will cause some shingle damage. Were you at least fortunate in that regard?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^
Are these gusts or sustained?? If I recall correctly there are not a lot of trees to fall on homes. We are still cleaning up from Zeta which happened in October. The power company cut 1700 trees off of lines in just our county. Anything over 75mph will cause some shingle damage. Were you at least fortunate in that regard?

Gusts. Sustained ranged from 35 to 50 mph in the area. Some trees and big signage were down in the area too.

Shingles damage (and a LOT of other stuff including windows, siding, etc.) from a late season hail storm will be fixed in the Spring. Insurance claim approved but will undoubtedly see further adjustments with the general contractor interfacing with the insurance adjuster then too.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
^^^
Thanks. I am ok with the signage being down. Less eye pollution. Every plastic sign on the main highway here is still blown out so you have to know where stuff is. A couple of the fast food joints have had huge cranes doing repairs. Free entertainment.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Trash bins and other debris trashing fences

Tree damage

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Yep. Looks very familiar.

I read a National Geographic article about twelve years ago about the Daktotas. I was called the Emptied Prarie. I remember the article talking about the wind that never stopped and drove pioneers to madness or worse. The article got a lot of negative press from the people who live in the Dakotas. The pictures were sobering. Have you seen it?

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never saw that article.

Interesting as most folks really don't complain about it saying that winds are stronger west like in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Been here since late 1994. Only met one who couldn't handle the wind when temperatures were low. His USAF request for an early transfer back to Alaska was approved. LOL

Oh and I'm not native to this area FWIW. And have been in all 50 states either to live , visit, or travel through. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Bald1.

Hope you do manage to get the telescope repaired.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry that you suffered this misfortune bald1. I’m wondering if a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov would be easier for you to manage than a Newtonian.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We had those winds come through here on Wednesday. My Davis weather station recorded a high gust at 72MPH and some of the mountain top stations in the area were in the 120s.

I've got about a dozen mature ponderosas on my property that are down. Some snapped off like matchsticks and others ripped out by the roots. Hot power lines were down out on my road and they didn't get my power back on until yesterday morning. Even internet and cell service were down for a time.

Thankfully, several years ago I had the foresight to remove any tree that could potentially hit my house. Otherwise, it would have been real ugly. As it is, I've just got a couple of fences to repair and a bunch of wood to cut up.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your telescope Bob. That is a bummer.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post