SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The effect of smartphones on the sales of cameras - 1951 to 2021 - cool animated chart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The effect of smartphones on the sales of cameras - 1951 to 2021 - cool animated chart Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Really cool animated chart that starts in 1951 and shows the annual sales of cameras and when certain iconic cameras were released and then the effect on sales as smartphones were introduced.

Who still regularly carries either a digital or film camera?

https://www.visualcapitalist.c...440&utm_medium=email

I attempted to isolate just the chart from the article, but it didn't work, so just click on the link to the article.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Let's see if this works...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Let's see if this works...

You got it! Thanks!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who still regularly carries either a digital or film camera?

Only someone who really is in to photography.
Obviously not film any more but digital cam with the lenses and all.
But an obvious demonstration of how technology changed a market..
Interesting. Cool

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Yeah. And it’s always with you.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Very cool infographic! Digital photography has definitely become the art of the masses, but there is something supremely satisfying about learning the art and craft of black and white film photography and being able to proudly hang one of your prints on a wall. Digital photography makes it all too easy.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
the later years of my 30+ year film hobby was spent focusing (haha) on using old relic B&W platforms. 2 1/4" Rolex, a 4x5 and even an antique 8x10. Certain gave a different perspective on the basics of photography.
My best B&W were actually portrait studies from 35mm film prints.
Eventually I tagged out with 3 bags of glass & bodies, trading for increasingly smaller digital
now down to mere cell phone camera. More & better photos for sure, yet something is lacking from those old large formats.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Today, it's a no brainer but when phones started showing up with cameras, it was a humdinger. I think I was in a marketing class discussing this and there was no definitive answer. I would like to know the history of the first brainstorming session that got a camera designed into a cell phone.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a huge part in the phone buying decision making is the cameras capabilities

I'm a die hard Galaxy fan but the wife and daughters Apple phones make me jealous with their cameras

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Smart phones are great for most folks needs, and have gotten very good for macro close up shots. Here are a couple of nice macro examples with my 13pro- they lose detail shrunk down on web pages- much better detail on the phone screen.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That photo of the spider is crazy!

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They could make the exact same chart for Walkmans, portable CD players with headphones, etc. DOA. I just bought a real camera, or at least what I think is one. It’s mirrorless and I bought a specific lens for what I need it for. Boy was is not cheap. I can’t blame anyone for defaulting to the phone cam nor the iPod built within it but man I fucking detest MP3 and compressed audio something fierce. It doesn’t matter if it’s music or film I fucking hate compressed audio.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was just recently thinking about buying a compact camera, mainly to carry when on vacation vs. carrying my dslr's and lenses. My Iphone 7+, was quite aged, so I upgraded to the Iphone 14 pro, I have decided to just use this phone camera for a while and see how it works out, so far I am very impressed.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Nikon doesn't get used a lot, but I enjoy shooting with it. Very amateur, but it was definitely easier to set on the fly for the 2 F1 races we went to. IIRC, I took something like 1k photos/day.

I keep meaning to get it back out, since we moved, and get back to shooting more with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I'm still dabbling with amateur photography. I have a Lumix G9 professional camera after upgrading from my EPL2. Cell phones are great for what they are, but won't replace a proper camera. The reason the chart is so lopsided is a camera comes with every phone sold.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I still keep a digital camera in each vehicle. But grab the phone for quick snaps. Amazing how good the phone takes snaps
I also use a couple bigger digital cameras, a Canon and a Lumix for better shots. The Canon has quite a good telephoto capability.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Birding is about all I need a good camera for these days. No substitute for big sensors and large engineered lenses for getting decent images of jumpy little beasties in low light with short exposure times, at distance.

Other than that, whatever's on my cell phone does me fine. I did spring for an app that will take photos in RAW format as well as JPG, so I have the RAW file format's 'do over' capability to tweak exposure, white points, etc. on my PC later, if I need it.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Megapixels? RAW format? Sure!

Somehow whenever Bigfoot shows up, everything has the resolution of a potato.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Somehow whenever Bigfoot shows up, everything has the resolution of a potato.

Because at non-potato resolution, you can see the seams and zippers on the Bigfoot costume. Wink

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had smart phones since 2005. I used to have a Canon digital camera for vacations and special occasions. I haven't bought a camera since 2011, and cannot remember the last time I used it (best guess is 8 years).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post