SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washington DC trip advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington DC trip advice Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
I'm taking my two boys (18-17 yrs.) at the end of June. I would like to stay in VA near the Franconia-Springfield WMATA station and hop on the train to visit the sites. Any reason I shouldn't? Hotel recommendations? Looks like it $4.95 or $8.95 to park at the station daily, a little confusing on the price difference.

Looks like I have to be unarmed as well Frown

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parking prices vary depending on weekday or weekend use, with Sunday being free. Taking the metro in and getting off at L'Enfant Plaza is your best bet for getting out and seeing the museums and sites since parking in the city is way too expensive. Plan on walking a lot, bring sunscreen, comfy shoes, a sun hat, and don't bring a pocket knife since you can't get into any of the places with it.

You can see a lot in a day but you will want to give it a couple if you want to see everything. Some of the places will have longer lines.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Check the Metro website.

The Blue Line coming in from Franconia is going to be undergoing major renovations this year and will not be as unreliable as an unreliable system can be; instead it will be completely klusterfuked as an unreliable system can be.

https://wtop.com/tracking-metr...ne-shutdown/slide/1/

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that^^^^ Sounds like a mess

What about the area around Vienna station on west side? Will I get shanked?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been taking the blue line from Franconia/Springfield for much of the time since I got married almost 22 years ago. I take the VA Rail Express train in now (adjacent to the metro station). Yes, the blue line will be shut down the entire summer (plus) so you might want to look into somewhere near Vienna or Dunn Loring metro (Orange Line in VA). Parking costs more if you park at the metro but don't take the metro (like me, dicks).

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Vienna is way outside the city and very, very safe, unless you are concerned about getting mugged by a soccer mom driving a late model $80,000 SUV.

=====

Make sure you take the time to visit Udvar-Hazy it's outside the city near Dulles Airport, but it's worth the 1/2 hour drive (20 min from Vienna). My favorite museums in DC are Air & Space, Natural History, and American History. Washington Monument/Mall, National Zoo, and Vietnam Memorials are awesome. Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens is cool too but it's in Anacostia which is not a nice place.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also used to travel from the Vienna metro, and Dunn Loring. Vienna is not much further away from the City than Springfield metro. It is an exceedingly safe area. The more I think about it, I'd recommend Dunn Loring (one stop up before Vienna station).

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to stay in Tyson's Corner and taken the hotel shuttle to Dunn loring metro back when I was a kid.

Tyson s corner has blown up in the Last 10 years so not sure It that's feasible but the metro runs through there these days. Anywhere near the Orange or purple should work.

Your not getting stabbed anywhere in northern Virginia these days. Way too much money.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Another downside of Springfield-Franconia is that it’ll take a long time to get into the city by metro even when it is running well. You’re on vacation and don’t want to spend a ton of time on trains in tunnels. Arlington is a good bet. I’m partial to pentagon city. You can catch the yellow line and take it two stops to DC.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
As long as you’re on the west side, you might also consider making time to visit the NRA Museum.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Country Inn Camp Springs Andrews AFB is 3/4mil from Branch Ave metro stop on green line.

Or just park at Union station for the day $20.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind bunking on air mattresses and living with a crotchety old cripple with two cats I'll house you free during your stay.

Then you can afford to rent a roller skate to get to places like Udvar-Hazy and the National Firearms Museum.

Or look for a hotel in Herndon, Reston, or Sterling and metro in the Silver/Orange line.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Vienna is a very safe area. 7 figures for a house is normal in that area. BMW and Mercedes are more plentiful then Hondas.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We stay in Rosslyn at the Courtyards. Very clean and friendly staff. Easy walk to the metro and underground parking. Several good restaurants nearby.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
As long as you’re on the west side, you might also consider making time to visit the NRA Museum.

-Rob
It's very interesting, but the last time I was there they did not allow photography inside.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Why not stay in DC? The Marriott Wardman Park is currently $146 a night and an easy walk to the Metro. It's a block away.

As for Vienna being unsafe, I call shenanigans. It's just not accurate by any stretch.

Rosslyn is a great location if you can find reasonable lodging.

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
If you don't mind bunking on air mattresses and living with a crotchety old cripple with two cats I'll house you free during your stay.

Then you can afford to rent a roller skate to get to places like Udvar-Hazy and the National Firearms Museum.

Or look for a hotel in Herndon, Reston, or Sterling and metro in the Silver/Orange line.

Wow do I appreciate the offer, thank you. However, my stepson isn't the adventurous type, you would probably end up kicking us out.

Thank you all for the help. Sig Forum comes through again

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If you have a free day, Great Falls Park near McLean, Virginia is nice. https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157648011174255/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post