SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota water pump replacement tips?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota water pump replacement tips? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L engine with 90,000miles that needs a water pump. $750 for the dealer to do it and I as of yet don’t have an independent mechanic.

Pump is $120 for OEM. Plus coolant. It looks time consuming and awkward but I think I’m going to replace it myself. Lots of minor car issues and needed maintenance seems to be hitting all at once. I figure a full day and I can get it done.

Any tips? I’ll put a new serpentine belt on and probably new hoses as well, they’re not too much money. I plan to keep the truck for 5 years longer at least. It’s currently in the shop for a warranty repair but that and the water pump and I should be ok.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8367 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you searched you tube yet? That is always my starting point as it seems someone usually will post a video of it at some point and in most cases it is insanely helpful....at the very least you get an idea of what you are up against.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Not sure about Tundra, but changing out on a 4 runner was not that big of a deal. Get good parts and at 90k consider changing the timing belt too. If you do the timing belt too, get good torque wrenches and a heck of a breaker bar.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I just looked at you tube and some guy was replacing a pump on a 2007 but that should be somewhat the same. good luck

Posts: 5342 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
Get good parts and at 90k consider changing the timing belt too.

The OP's 2010 5.7L Tundra has a timing chain, which shouldn't need replacement unless issues crop up. (Unlike timing belts, you don't need to replace timing chains at regular intervals as preventative maintenance.)

But for vehicles with a timing belt (like the older/smaller Tundra engines), that'd be good advice to do both the belt and water pump at the same time, since you'd be wanting to change the timing belt every ~100k anyway, and both services involve many of the same steps.

And like the OP is already planning, do the serpentine/accessory belt at the same time too.

Posts: 33043 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I did look and the 2007-2013 are all the same. However, I like to check many sources and this site is one of the best. Any suggestions are appreciative.

One of the first things I checked, it has a timing chain no replacement needed.

Posts: 8367 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The 5.7 is a timing chain, not a belt. Definitely prudent to replace the accessory (serpentine) belt. This is an external pump and doesn't look super difficult. (I have not had to do one of these yet.) Nothing like the 4.7 which is timing belt driven. The flat rate is 3.2 hours with an oil cooler, 2.8 without, this for an experienced mechanic.

I'd recommend purchasing the online version (year's subscription) of Mitchell On-Demand or Alldata for your specific vehicle. You can print out whatever pages you need.

Posts: 28646 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Fortunately for you in the short run your 5.7 has a chain. Mine has a belt. So every couple of years I do a full belt, water pump, idler, tensioner, thermostat service. It is pretty costly to have it done so I do it myself. Takes an afternoon and three Dr. Peppers. I would do as counseled above. Watch a youtube video tutorial. That's what I did while researching my service. You will likely have to remove almost everything I have to, to get to the pump. What you get to avoid is the main crank bolt and pulley, timing cover, belt, spinning components etc. If you are willing to research, tool up, take your time and be thorough, you can save quite a bit.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
There is an oil cooler. The dealer shop made a mess of the warranty repair on the air injection pump so I’m super glad I didn’t have them do the water pump. They even left a socket on the truck

Judging by past experience and current abilities, it’s a half day job + for me. I’ll have to get a tool or two and order the parts. Parts alone are 20% cheaper from an out of state Toyota dealer. However, again judging by other work I’ve had done, I’m a hell of a lot more methodical and conscientious about stuff. Not just because it’s my own car either.

Probably need a pulley holder to keep from spinning while I undo it. I don’t have any power tools that fit in the space.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Are any pulley holders better than another?

As I’ll be doing a few days of maintenance Im trying to find part numbers for gaskets for the drain plugs in the differentials and transfer case. Maybe the plugs too in case I bugger one one. I subscribed to Alldata but I can’t find the plug and gasket numbers. TRDSparks doesn’t show them either.

I’ll do the spark plugs, coolant hoses and thermostat while it’s apart. Basically a good 100k service.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Are any pulley holders better than another?

As I’ll be doing a few days of maintenance Im trying to find part numbers for gaskets for the drain plugs in the differentials and transfer case. Maybe the plugs too in case I bugger one one.

ToyoDIY.com is the place to go. If you create an account and log in, you are able to see full exploded diagrams of everything, with part numbers listed. There used to be more sites, but most have removed the EPC (electronic parts catalog), the pages that show exploded diagrams.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'll be following this. This is interesting. Too bad they're not as easy as doing a water pump on an old SBC back in the old days.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I found what I needed. Alldata is good but missing a few things. I understand that drain plugs should not have to regularly replaced, but Murphy visits my garage frequently. Especially with plugs etc, that use an Allen wrench to remove.

I really like Sparks Toyota for parts. I’ll try and take photos.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I should be all set. I’m at about $500 for parts and service items for the repair and service.

New OEM:
Serpentine belt
Radiator hoses
Thermostat
Spark plugs
Coolant
Differential fluid changes
Transfer case fluid change

Just had brakes done, should have done them myself. I should be set for another 90,000 miles, though I need to double check on the transmission flush.

Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Before changing diff and transfer case fluid. Make sure that the fill plug is removable. A friend of mine took out the drain plug on the rear diff and was unable to remove the fill plug.

Also consider diff and transfer case crush washers (not sure if this is the right word, my brain is stuck in work mode right now).

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Good idea on the fill plug. The gaskets are a metallic washer type, probably a crush washer effect.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Well, book says 4.9 hours with oil cooler, took me 4 to get the pump off. Including a short lunch and trip for soda.

Not horrible, the water bypass hoses were the worst pain, we’ll see how it goes back together.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Good idea on the fill plug. The gaskets are a metallic washer type, probably a crush washer effect.

A tip we used on the VW airhead motor transmissions, type 1,2 and 3 models. A little anti seize on the fill plug threads.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good for you. My gen 1 Tundra is due for a water pump and timing belt. Dealer quoted $850.
That is my route as I am not a mechanic. Wish me luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’d add the serpentine belt tensioner and idler pulley as well at that mileage. My tensioner went right at 100k on my 07 and the belt grenaded. Waterpump hasn’t been an issue so far so no help there.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post