SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a Magpul like case for an IPhone xs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Magpul like case for an IPhone xs Login/Join 
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted
I’m getting ready to upgrade to an iPhone XS. On my last couple of iPhones I’ve used the Magpul cases and have been very satisfied. I noticed Magpul doesn’t make cases for the newer phones. I’m wondering what might be a good replacement that is similar to the Magpul? Or what might be a good slim protective case in general?

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
My last 2 iPhone cases are/were Rokform cases.

I have a their Rugged case on my iPhone X.
But it is orange, they used to make more colors.

Amazon has black, blue, and gunmetal.

I used the magnet (and mount) on my iPhone 7.
But had to remove the magnet for wireless charging for the X.

I've dropped both phones and cringed when I picked them up.
Only thing that ever broke was the glass screen protector I use.

Currently using
Maxboost Screen Protectorfrom Amazon.

Posts: 4370 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That does suck why Magpul seems to have quit making iPhone cases past the 7, not sure why? Confused

I have a 6 and will most likely get an X series this summer and not liking that I can't get a Magpul Bump case for it like I have now in OD green and love it.

Anyone know why they stopped making them? You'd think they would be doing a good business selling those things, everyone who has one loves them.

ETA:

Just found there is a Magpul Bump case clone for the iPhone X series phones, they are called Rugged Shield Cases:

http://www.ruggedshieldcases.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ru...s/?ref=page_internal

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Rokform or UAG.

If I was going to put my phone in a thicker case, it would only be those two. Both have great customer service and are well built.

I typically just use a Dbrand skin or a very minimalist case. Neither will protect in a drop though.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PASig:
That does suck why Magpul seems to have quit making iPhone cases past the 7, not sure why? Confused

I have a 6 and will most likely get an X series this summer and not liking that I can't get a Magpul Bump case for it like I have now in OD green and love it.

Anyone know why they stopped making them? You'd think they would be doing a good business selling those things, everyone who has one loves them.

ETA:

Just found there is a Magpul Bump case clone for the iPhone X series phones, they are called Rugged Shield Cases:

I don't know why Magpul stopped making cases for the newer Iphones either. I thought they were great cases on the Iphone. Not too big, grippy, and protective if I dropped the phone. Those Rugged Shield cases certainly look similar. I will give them a try.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Granted I only have an 8 but the Spigen Liquid Air Armor is nice.
Spigen Liquid Air Armor Designed for Apple iPhone Xs Case (2018) / Designed for Apple iPhone X Case (2017) - Matte Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074..._api_i_cCWFCb8N23NKT

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25449 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

The rumor years ago was someone (An owner or ??) at Magpul wasn't happy with the available choice of cases and started making his own almost as a hobby.

They sold a few I guess but probably not a ton, and now with so many different phones out I expect they just no longer want to invest the time and money to keep up. But thats really all speculation...

Shame, they are all that me the wife and both daughters have ever used.
Very little bulk added and the material was pretty much the perfect density for great impact protection. And cheap to boot.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know why they stopped making them?

- Inventory/sku management was getting out of control.
- Dealers that were saddled with old/out-of-date styles were stuck with them, thus, the market was flush with useless cases with their brand on it.
- The demands to keep up with new releases detracted from the Magpul's core competencies

I've used Magpul's cases for my first two phones, the last two phones, I've used Sidio Dilex cases. If you're looking for a durable case, that isn't overbuilt/brick, check them out; those honeycombed corners are simplistically ideal for protecting your device. I've dropped my phones numerous times, especially getting out of my truck, each time, they've survived with a few scratches on the screen protector.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OP:

Not quite a Magpul, but my previous cases were all Speck and they are quite good too.

I like how they have built in grippy "ribbing" to help with a firm hold on these phones, they are slippery and many cases are not much better.

The Presidio Grip looks like a good one for the XS and may be what I go back to:

PRESIDIO GRIP IPHONE XS / X CASES

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
+1 for Speck. Very tough and slim profile. It has passed the drop test for me several times....

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Speck is also what my wife and I use, as I wasn’t able to find Magpul cases.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Speck and Spigen are my go-to brands for cases.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Bookmarking for future reference. Cool

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the Rugged Shield. It certainly looks close to the Magpul and was cheap enough that if it sucks, I’m not out too much. If I hate it I will certainly keep the others in mind.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the Rugged Shield. It certainly looks close to the Magpul and was cheap enough that if it sucks, I’m not out too much. If I hate it I will certainly keep the others in mind.

Yes, definitely give us a review.

I ordered a Magpul for my work iPhone SE off Amazon and it was clearly a cheap knock-off and had a terrible, sharp mold line running right along where you held it. I kept it a day. Confused

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Rugged Shield to arrive Friday.
12.99 delivered via Amazon prime.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I must have somehow missed them on Amazon. I ordered directly from Rugged Shield and paid $15.95. Their website doesn't work very well, by the way. I will post a review when it gets here.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

So...how is it?

Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So...how is it?

I received mine today. My phone hasn't actually arrived yet, but I can give you my first impression. It feels as if it is made of the same material as the Magpul but it isn't as stiff as the Magpul. My current Magpul is the bump case model, which might be a bit more industrial than the original. It does appear well made and shipping was quick.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So...how is it?

Very good copy. I doubt you would notice any difference unless really looking for it other than the logo. For the price it seems GTG. Only time will tell if it holds up over time.

Comparing the density of the material by an uncalibrated fingernail press seems identical.

Fit seems spot on for my "X".

One small difference is the recess cut around the buttons it is cut all the way through on one side on the new one and solid on the old. That might let a tad bit more water or dust / dirt in IDK but it ain't sealed anyway and it makes the buttons easier to push for better or worse. See photo for the cut out.

The texture of the outside MIGHT be a tad bit rougher, but I'm comparing it to a ~2 year old case on a 5s.

Amazon Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Photos:
Larger Gray case is a Rugged Shield, for an iPhone X.
Smaller pink case is a Magpul, on the wife's iPhone 5s.