SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Military Aircraft SME’s, chime in on this Chinese “Stealth” fighter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military Aircraft SME’s, chime in on this Chinese “Stealth” fighter Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Designed to fly high and far, it can likely dogfight but, it's a very large aircraft so, maneuverability isn't a very important aspect to its design compared to range and long-distance anti-air capability.

So, it's an "Interceptor," not a "Fighter." Interceptors such as the Soviet Su-15 (shot down KAL flight 007 in the 1980s), the Tu-128 Fiddler (HUGE aircraft with very long range), and the MiG-25 Foxbat (and MiG-31 new/improved model - capable of Mach 3) and the US F-104 Starfighter ("Missile With a Man In It) and F-102/F-106 Delta Dagger/Delta Dart were not designed to duke it out with enemy fighters. They were designed to kill enemy bombers over the frozen North (The US fighters shooting down Soviet nuclear bombers over Canada, for example). Very fast in a straight line; typically crappy maneuverability. We haven't had a 'real' interceptor since the 1980s (or was it early 1990s) when we retired the F-101 Voodoo from service (I know I called the F-15 an interceptor in an earlier post, but that wasn't entirely accurate).

It makes sense that the Chinese would make such an aircraft. Our AWACS and refuelers are HUGE 'force multipliers.' Taking these aircraft out of the mix would seriously hinder the effectiveness of allied forces.

Not saying it would work, though. That thing just doesn't look right.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21863 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I figure with stealth fighters / bombers. There are only so many ways to minimize the signature. We've already done a ton of the leg work. So it makes sense to copy / modify the design. Versus recreating the stealth wheel.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8879 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Designed to fly high and far, it can likely dogfight but, it's a very large aircraft so, maneuverability isn't a very important aspect to its design compared to range and long-distance anti-air capability.

So, it's an "Interceptor," not a "Fighter." Interceptors such as the Soviet Su-15 (shot down KAL flight 007 in the 1980s), the Tu-128 Fiddler (HUGE aircraft with very long range), and the MiG-25 Foxbat (and MiG-31 new/improved model - capable of Mach 3) and the US F-104 Starfighter ("Missile With a Man In It) and F-102/F-106 Delta Dagger/Delta Dart were not designed to duke it out with enemy fighters. They were designed to kill enemy bombers over the frozen North (The US fighters shooting down Soviet nuclear bombers over Canada, for example). Very fast in a straight line; typically crappy maneuverability. We haven't had a 'real' interceptor since the 1980s (or was it early 1990s) when we retired the F-101 Voodoo from service (I know I called the F-15 an interceptor in an earlier post, but that wasn't entirely accurate).

It makes sense that the Chinese would make such an aircraft. Our AWACS and refuelers are HUGE 'force multipliers.' Taking these aircraft out of the mix would seriously hinder the effectiveness of allied forces.

Not saying it would work, though. That thing just doesn't look right.

I'd say it's more of an air-superiority fighter than an interceptor. Its a whole lot more capable than early era interceptors, which despite impressive speed/climb metrics, were single-mission oriented whereas, this thing compares more so as a modern 4th gen air superiority fighter. With its huge range, big radar and head-on stealth profile, it can get deep into the battle-space, get behind the CAP curtain and wreck havoc on our supporting networking platforms. Once those are knocked-out, their cavalry of J-10 and J-11 fighters will tangle with our fighters and the numbers favor them.

Posts: 14811 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget that the Chinese are the masters of copying EVERYTHING...including the bugs and flaws and are still not smart enough to figure that part out.

Do you guys recall when they released that flashy video of them doing carrier ops on their new carrier that it was quickly apparent that they studied the movie Top Gun for a lot of that, LMAO

Posts: 34099 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
The clintons sold some secrets of stealth to the Chinese, but that doesn't mean they are capable of doing it.

Hound Dog is correct.

Also, we still have some secrets left, our stealth is better than theirs and we can see their stealth. 'nuff said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13976 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post