SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Empty nest advice.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Empty nest advice. Login/Join 
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the quiet times during the day and at night.

Invite the over often for cookouts, lunch, etc.

Go to their house when invited.

Cherish the time you spend together......

Make your will fair for all envolved.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We are 10 years out from the youngest graduating college. other than brief stays at breaks, none of our 3 came back home to live. We had told all 3 that once they were no longer full time students, they needed to insure they had another place to live. No regrets. All 3 are productive, self supporting, independent adults.

We have no grandchildren. We are actually fine with that.

We are enjoying a bit of traveling and doing stuff we like. We just see this season of life as what we worked and planned for.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Our youngest left for college in 2000. We've loved the peaceful, easy feeling we get by entertaining each other. We have seemingly unlimited time to travel, read, learn, cook, enjoy the company of friends - all while visiting with our two children about every other day. We are blessed.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our only child just left for college in the Fall, I had a client advise me that we wouldn’t be empty nesters, but “Free Birds”.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree on the "worrying never ends part."

As an empty nester, I recommend keeping at least 1 spare bedroom furnished as such. As many here mentioned, there will be times when they return for one reason or another.

On a humorous note, I have 2 daughters. The youngest finished moving out while I was at work. I came home from work, stripped down to my drawers and walked out into the house. My wife said "What the hell are you doing?" My reply was "I can do this again!" and went on about my business, in my drawers. Drawback was on those occasions when they came back, I had to constantly remind myself that I couldn't walk around in my drawers anymore.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Get an Airedale puppy.

Lol!

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, get a dog.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
To all those suggesting a dog I have to ask, Is all you ever want to be is a caretaker for other things? Take some time for YOU. Find purpose for yourself rather than feel you only have a piurpose while something else relies upon you. You've given much of yourself already and the last thing I would want is to relinquish the opportunity to live a life unfettered. At least for a while to see if it suits you.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
To all those suggesting a dog I have to ask, Is all you ever want to be is a caretaker for other things? Take some time for YOU. Find purpose for yourself rather than feel you only have a piurpose while something else relies upon you. You've given much of yourself already and the last thing I would want is to relinquish the opportunity to live a life unfettered. At least for a while to see if it suits you.
It's just a dog . Don't overthink it .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Enjoy being able to walk around the house in your underwear again.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post