SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Convert! Talked FIL Into A Weber Grill
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Convert! Talked FIL Into A Weber Grill Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My FIL had a cheap/flimsy 4 burner Grillmaster propane grill that lasted him about 7 years until it blew over in a recent windstorm and broke plus it was all rotting out from the inside. He was ready to go out and buy another one but I started telling him how good Webers are and worth the little extra they cost so he picked up a Spirit 3 burner and we cooked on it on Memorial Day.

He was really impressed with how hot it got and how fast it got to ripping hot and all the thoughtful Weber touches like the large, easy to adjust knobs, the foil drip tray system and the built in propane gauge.

I feel like I’ve created another lifelong Weber convert!

The one thing I had to set him straight on was he had his grates in upside down, classic newbie mistake HAHA!

Posts: 33893 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he wanted to cook Australian style - you know, down under?

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was talked into a Big Green Egg, so I think he got off easy!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya done good! I gave that 3-burner Spirit a hard look, but went with a Weber Kettle instead.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of a Weber snob myself. That's not to say other grills are bad or junk but I have 3 Webers and all of them are great.
I have a 6 burner natural gas grill, a Smokey Mountain 18" and a 26" Master Touch kettle. I have a friend interested in the Smokey Mountain as I barely use it.
Can't go wrong with any Weber IMO.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve been converted to Napoleon grills for gas. More features and better price than Weber. Will have to see if it holds up as well but 2 years in and looking good.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a gas grill but I have 2 Weber charcoal grills: a classic and Smokey Joe. It’s my 4th Smokey Joe. First 2 were used heavily to the point of needing replacement due to weather beating them up. 3rd was stolen from me and the 4th is still used, it’s only a year old. The classic is used for when we have more than 2 people over for dinner so we can cook more food faster.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Hmm I passed on the Spirit the guy was trying to push, 10 year warranty he said. I didn't see the quality. Bought a Genesis instead, built very well

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Going on 20 years with my Sliver Genesis. Replaced a few parts here and there over the years, but she is tough and still hanging in there. Still cooks great!

Posts: 1698 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my Genesis for the last 26 years. I have had to replace the flavor bars, and just recently, the two turret plastic wheels(AZ is hard on plastic!!). I could not be more pleased, and I really use my grill a lot.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I looked at Weber last year and turned away when I saw Chicom made. Bought a made in Canada Napolen and no regrets.

Still using a WSM for my smoking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just like only the expensive Webers are made in the USA, only the expensive Napoleons are made in Canada.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I bought a Spirit 3 several years ago and have been very happy with it. I remarked to the wife this year how expensive they are at Lowes this year. I assume something COVID or Bidenomics related. We use ours almost once a week all year long and I've had zero issues with it. I regretfully neglect it and only clean it out when it once a year when it starts catching fire where it shouldn't, but it keeps chugging along. I bought their cover for it and have had no issues with it either when usually they only last 1 or 2 years max.

Posts: 2528 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Hmm I passed on the Spirit the guy was trying to push, 10 year warranty he said. I didn't see the quality. Bought a Genesis instead, built very well

He wasn’t willing to drop $1,000-$1,200 on a grill, I think he paid $550 for the Spirit and it will work well for him.

Posts: 33893 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! They have gone up then, I think I paid about $700 for my three burner Genesis 2 about 4 years ago

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I bought my Spirt grill 2 years ago at Home Depot. Works great. I paid $479. Bought a cover for it that my sons puppy German Shepard ate/chewed up over the winter. If that was enough, she then chewed up the cover to my Pit Boss smoker.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I bought my Spirt grill 2 years ago at Home Depot. Works great. I paid $479. Bought a cover for it that my sons puppy German Shepard ate/chewed up over the winter. If that was enough, she then chewed up the cover to my Pit Boss smoker.

Sounds like you need another pup to keep her company.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I buy Char Broil. Works great, does everything I need and more, lasts around 12~15 years or so and I keep it outside on the patio with a cover.

Paid around $125.00 for the last one 10 years or so ago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Sounds like you need another pup to keep her company.

I do have another dog, 5 years old. The Shepard has so much energy it's crazy. I joke that she can teach kangaroos how to jump. She needs more training.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gas grills have their place. Having lived in apartments where charcoal was verboten, gas was your alternative.

Personally, when I think of Weber, I'm thinking Weber Smokey Mountain which is hugely versatile. If you're not going to invest in a ceramic grill (Kamado, BGE), electronic pellet/chip smokers (Traeger) just don't do it for you or, traditional off-set smokers are a bit much for you...the Smokey Mountain is a solid direction.

If you're not using it to smoke, you can use it to grill. There's enough accessories on the market that you can get a Santa Maria-grill attachment, a pizza oven, along with various griddles, fans, etc.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post