SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our Good Girl Annie Crosses the Bridge
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Good Girl Annie Crosses the Bridge Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
Annie the Scottish Terrier was a rescue. We got her as a one-year-old in 2005 from a rescue group here in the Dallas area after she'd been found wandering the streets in Little Rock. She was wild at first after having to fend for herself, but was smart as a whip and with a lot of training, she turned into a great dog. We thought she had potential as a therapy dog, and she passed the 14-stage Therapy Dogs International test the very first time.

We got a second rescue Scottie a year later and named him Troon, after Royal Troon Golf Club. Jet black Annie and nearly snow white Troon were quite a pair.

Last fall, Annie started feeling her 14 years. She was having rear leg problems and wasn't able to run and chase squirrels like she used to.

On the morning of MLK day last week, she had a stroke. We got her to the vet, and they felt that the stroke was mild enough that she might recover enough to have fairly good function and a good quality of life. They gave her a huge injection and steroid pills.

But after a week, she was still struggling to walk and kept falling over. Worse---and more telling---there was no return of any spark or real level of activity other than eating, and she needed assistance from us to go outside. The vet looked at videos we'd taken, asked several questions, and at that point concluded that prospects of any real improvement were slim and none.

Yesterday morning, my wife and I made the hard decision. Annie was a shadow of what she had been, and would not have wanted to live a miserable existence.

This afternoon, I was able to get off work early so Pam and I could go to the vet together. We took Troon along because we'd been told by friends and trainers that it would help him understand that Annie wasn't coming home. We know that eventually Troon will pass as well, but for now he's doing well---heart failure meds and all.

She was such a good girl. See you at the Rainbow Bridge, Annie.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Annie sounds like a special girl. I sorry you had to make this decision, it’s one of the worst feelings I’ve ever had. Thanks for being the kind of person who would take in a rescue.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
So very sorry for this tremendous loss. Prayers for healing are up for you and your family. Frown

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your Annie. She sounds like she was a wonderful dog.

Rest assured our Bud & Wendy will welcome her on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Posts: 3728 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Annie sounded like a wonderful friend. I'm sure Fritz, Mickey and Lucky will welcome her with wagging tails. She will be in good company.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of loss it’s never easy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry for your loss.

Your words reveal her place in your life, and yours in her's.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
God speed Annie. May your human pets find peace amid your passing.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences. Good girl, Annie.

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My condolences, snoris Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
It's never easy. I have wonderful memories of Daisy, Mac, Barney, Willie, Molly and Skip.

While they're gone, but certainly not forgotten, I enjoy the company of Bailey and Murphy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4232 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. She sounded like one of life’s special blessings.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to your family Snoris.
Lost, but never forgotten.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. The pain gradually subsides but the wonderful memories remain.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear of Annie’s passing. While it definitely hurts, it sounds like you did right by her, from the beginning until the very end. Rest In Peace, Annie.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry snoris.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
snoris, our thoughts are with you.

“Acquiring a dog may be the only time a person gets to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Siegal

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your heartbreaking loss.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post