SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about health insurance in New York
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about health insurance in New York Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
One of my sons currently is insured through COBRA through his former employer, and it runs out soon.

Does Aetna, Cigna, or United write individual health plans directly or through an agent?

Or does he have to go through the New York Marketplace, or whatever they call it? He wants a good or premium policy, ie not looking for Obamacare.

Thanks for any insight.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm not in NY, but I got a bridge policy with Ambetter to span the end of COBRA to the beginning of Medicare. Wasn't the greatest, but it was reasonable and covered me through any possible catastrophes. Not sure that helps.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Cost on the exchange depends on his income. It can be quite inexpensive. Here in Utah, the plans are from the same insurers as on the open market (non-Obamacare marketplace). There are a lot of nuanced differences, so if he shops on the marketplace he should consider contacting an official agent. I forget what they are called, something like an enrolled agent or approved agent? They cost the customer nothing, and they are experts in all the different plans.

We get our coverage through Christian Healthcare Ministries. The price is quite good, about $575 per month for the two of us. There are exclusions for pre-existing conditions, and a $1000 deductible for each event. There are several of these kinds of companies out there. It is not legally insurance, so they do not have to meet the Obamacare mandates. In fact, they exclude some things like unwed pregnancy. For some people this is a really good coverage for a very good price, as long as there aren't serious pre-existing conditions. (iirc there is a 3 yr lookback for pre-existing, and then a 2 yr exclusion if there was anything in that lookback period).

Open market plans can also have limitations on pre-existing conditions. On the Obamacare marketplace they cannot have those limitations iirc. Be sure your son looks into all the differences to be sure he gets the right coverage for his situation.

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post