SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firearms and supplemental oxygen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms and supplemental oxygen Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Did you see this article?

Based on just that one, it’s obvious that oxygen being delivered to a patient can greatly increase the risk of fire, both its ease of ignition and intensity. Although it points out that most home oxygen fires result from use of smoking materials, other ignition sources are possible.

The risk of starting a fire from the muzzle flash of a firearm in a large, open indoor range is probably slight, but I suspect it’s not zero. Outdoors, though, I wouldn’t be concerned.

I would suggest paying close attention to this post because it is excellent.

However one additional suggestion I would add is that you look into clothing that is much less flammable than typical, basically look for garments that incorporate fire retardants and use them for you range outings and do NOT wash them. Because the biggest risk for you when using supplemental oxygen is setting your clothing on fire. At an outdoor range one would expect any excess oxygen to disperse, however if the air is really stagnant that may not be a safe assumption to make.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5667 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, don’t push it. Your too valuable here and I don’t want to lose you.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading with interest. My wife was just prescribed supplimental oxygen for use at night only. Tank is by the bed. Possible problem never occured to me.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
JALLEN, don’t push it. Your too valuable here and I don’t want to lose you.

I never +1, but I’ll make an exception for this and say +1.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Reading with interest. My wife was just prescribed supplimental oxygen for use at night only. Tank is by the bed. Possible problem never occured to me.

What level? Demand or continuous?

I started out years ago with on demand 1 lpm, as needed, then at night, then while engaged in strenuous activities, like mountain climbing or scuba diving, gradually higher and higher rates, then more recently continuous flow, and then 24/7. Now I’m a 6-7 lpm continuous and it’s like having a hurricane in your nose.

I’m lucky that this house floorplan is such that I can put the concentrator out near the kitchen and get to everywhere in the house with the maximum 50’ hose. No portable concentrator supports that level continuous, so I carry bottles when I go out, everywhere I go, and spares in the car

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I am not a chemist, a physician or a fireman. My 'home' range is outdoors, under cover, and can be a little crowded. We have several long-time members who shoot while wearing oxygen back packs and have done so for quite some time and before that there were a couple with the drag-a-long tanks. there have never been any events, for what that is worth as an anecdote.

Just an aside to the topic but in 2013, a shooter had a health event where he keeled over and was not breathing. One of the back-packers, a retired FMF Navy corpsman used his oxygen as part of the successful resuscitation efforts until para-medics arrived. The shooter was a retired Marine, so once again...

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you're breathing acetylene.

No, that comes out the other end.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Only one way to know for sure! Smile

A new meaning to “muzzle flash”.
Maybe wouldn't want to shoot my gun

grizzly50
by David Casteel, on Flickr
but anything else is probably safe....

quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Just don't go shooting with Flashguy and I think you'll be ok.
Why would you say that?

Neg14nb
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
While not in regards to firearms I have treated multiple patients with facial and airway burns from o2 use but only with smoking. Generally greater danger when indoors. In most cases it’s people with bad COPD/emphysema who stick smoke and routinely remove their O2 when smoking and just have a memory lapse one time which causes the fire. There is a telltale burn pattern on their face, neck, and behind their ears from the nasal cannula tubing.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post