SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firearms and supplemental oxygen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms and supplemental oxygen Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I’ve been looking around for information about shooting while using supplemental oxygen, and coming up empty.

Now that I am on supplemental O2 24/7, at a fairly high rate 6 lpm, I wonder about what happens if I were to shoot a postol or revolver.

Safety precautions ordinarily say don’t be around open flames, like gas appliances, devices with motors, oil based lubricants, forbid smoking in the house or within 25’ of me or the equipment, etc.

Does anyone have or know of any expert advice on this?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert in any way. But I truly can't see any downside to worry about. I can't imagine the O2 concentration near the gun is meaningfully higher than in ambient air, nor that it matters. A gun shot consumes the oxides in the propellant. It doesn't spread elsewhere and can't cause a fire somewhere outside the cartridge. OK maybe some of those crazy rifle rounds and muzzle devices that spew flames, but where might it go?
I wouldn't worry about it. But maybe someone who has some practical experience will stop by. But if I was in the same situation I would do some simple testing like a single round, then two etc. It's not like there are any combustibles to worry about.
Just thinking out loud. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11020 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing it would be better to do this at an outdoor range. And good for you for having the drive and desire to want to go shooting.

Posts: 12746 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Only one way to know for sure! Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30440 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Only one way to know for sure! Smile

A new meaning to “muzzle flash”.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Did you see this article?

Based on just that one, it’s obvious that oxygen being delivered to a patient can greatly increase the risk of fire, both its ease of ignition and intensity. Although it points out that most home oxygen fires result from use of smoking materials, other ignition sources are possible.

The risk of starting a fire from the muzzle flash of a firearm in a large, open indoor range is probably slight, but I suspect it’s not zero. Outdoors, though, I wouldn’t be concerned.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's much of a concern unless you take the end of the O2 tubing and place it near the muzzle of the firearm.

Although I am no expert on O2 generators. Use at your own risk.

I wonder how most ranges would react if you tried to shot with supplemental O2 even from a generator and not a bottle.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
We actually have a lesson plan at work that deals with this issue. What we have found through research is that clean burning modern powders in standard velocity loads have very little if any risk of ignition around oxygen. Most of our information is based upon the good ole days of raiding nazi dope labs and the DEA studies on discharging a firearm inside of an active clandestine lab.

If you have doubts, take your carry ammo and shoot it in total darkness. This will give you an idea on how little flash modern powders have.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Not research based but my experience working in WV's only burn center and seeing around 30 supplemental oxygen fires per year with 2-3 repeat offenders per year (some people never learn or love a nice day or two on the vent). Always related to cigarettes except one or two who were lighting candles. I do know a couple of folks that have shot outdoors with 2-3 lpm without issue.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1895 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that oxygen doesn't simply ignite; it contributes to a figre, but it's only one part of the the chemical process of pyrolosis.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Just don't go shooting with Flashguy and I think you'll be ok.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
An ignition source in a mostly enclosed environment of >30% O2 can ignite. Yes, your 6 liters is >30% but not only is your nose roughly three feet away from the ignition source, you are surrounded by 21% O2, significantly diluting your O2.

I'd say that the likelihood is somewhere between slim and none.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot upwind!

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Did you see this article?

Based on just that one, it’s obvious that oxygen being delivered to a patient can greatly increase the risk of fire, both its ease of ignition and intensity. Although it points out that most home oxygen fires result from use of smoking materials, other ignition sources are possible.

The risk of starting a fire from the muzzle flash of a firearm in a large, open indoor range is probably slight, but I suspect it’s not zero. Outdoors, though, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Thanks for that link. It doesn’t address the precise risk I am assessing but does point out many of the steps I have had to take, like buying a home with no gas appliances, all electric, no smoking by anyone (not a problem so far).

I have no plan to go to a range. I seldom leave the house. It would be a logistics challenge to get the gear to the range, get set up. The range here involves a significant walk from car to bench, so the scooter would have to be loaded, unloaded, loaded again, big PITA.

It may be time to give up carrying anyway, as I rarely go anywhere.

Thanks. Quite a few good points to ponder.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
An open flame or cigarette is also a constant source of flame. The O2 will make it burn hotter, and it will consume that O2 faster than you.

But a gun shot is not the same as something on fire, and you're not going to ignite your O2 source.

I can tell you from welding, that you can extinguish flame with oxygen from a bottle. It's not as if you'd ignite your breathing apparatus and the flame would travel to the bottle. Unless you're breathing acetylene.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Lotsa of good first hand accounts in forums of people who shoot with supplemental oxygen. I really didn’t even give it a thought until you brought it up.

Btw, I’ve seen people smoking cigarettes with supplemental oxygen...they’re still here...for now.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...oxygen-tanks.678703/

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just put your cigar out first. Smile

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Lotsa of good first hand accounts in forums of people who shoot with supplemental oxygen. I really didn’t even give it a thought until you brought it up.

Btw, I’ve seen people smoking cigarettes with supplemental oxygen...they’re still here...for now.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...oxygen-tanks.678703/

Thanks for that. Now to figure out who knows what they are talking about on that forum.

I have seen many people at the gas pump filling their cars with lit cigarettes and I wonder if these are instances of getting away with doing something stupid until you don’t.

I realize I will not live much longer, but see no reason to accelerate the inevitable.

posted Hide Post
How about a box fan set up on your right or left side blowing across your upper torso/head which would carry the oxygen away from any gun flash? You could vary the fan speed to suit you. I have a picnic table right outside my side garage door that I use to shoot off of. It's a very short walk and holds all the stuff I need to shoot with.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
How about a box fan set up on your right or left side blowing across your upper torso/head which would carry the oxygen away from any gun flash? You could vary the fan speed to suit you. I have a picnic table right outside my side garage door that I use to shoot off of. It's a very short walk and holds all the stuff I need to shoot with.

Great idea! Sure would alarm the neighbors, though.