SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Khieflies $3.50 Each, You've Got to be Kidding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Khieflies $3.50 Each, You've Got to be Kidding Login/Join 
posted
Yeah man, $42.00 a dozen for a 3 bite pastry. The girl at the bakery blamed the price of eggs and nuts. I've made them myself before and I know how labor intensive they are so if you include all those factors, they aren't making a lot of money on them. I also observed they weren't selling real well. I was expecting about half that price, like they've always been. Things change and not always for the better.

And that got me thinking. I'm thankful I'm in a good spot this year. Everyone I love is healthy, I finally have a new position at the pleasure palace after 44 years that I really like, I've got great salary, fantastic boss and fantastic guy bossing him. I can buy anything I want(pending the Wolverines approval) but I totally balk at paying a fair price for exotic pastry. Growing up, Khieflies were around the house from Thanksgiving until the middle of January. They mean a lot to me at the holidays.

Okay, save money and make them myself. That's the only way to make it happen. Let's see $42.00 is how many months of Oreo's...Did I mention I'm lazy?

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you're paying for the name?

Sarcasm off now...

I had to Google the name you mentioned. Around my neck of the woods, they are known as kiffles. Didn't realize that same baked good went by so many names.

If you only eat them once a year, the price doesn't seem too bad.

We have them at a local grocery store. Not as tasty as the local church that makes and sells them for the holidays.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Never heard of them. Now I want them.

Posts: 17902 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
One of the downsides of less poverty, is we will lose certain things.

Within maybe 30 years, we will lose the very highest grades of vanilla, as it takes too much hand labor.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The price of eggs is about $3.50 or more per dozen in central Texas.

I do miss a good keflie, been years since the last

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
An explanation of what these are and where they come from would be helpful here.

I have never heard of them.

Keep in mind that flour, sugar costs have doubled. Butter has tripled, eggs and nuts are like quadrupled in price.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My wife has made a Scandinavian version of those for decades.
Very tasty and one of our favorites.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16533 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just looked them up, they sound very similar to Rugelach or Kipferl

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My favorite was with prune or raspberry. Haven't had those in over 50 yrs.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
An explanation of what these are and where they come from would be helpful here.

^^^^^^^^^^
Hungarian pastries. Not reccomended by your Doctor.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^
Hungarian pastries. Not reccomended by your Doctor.

Every European country has a version it seems, I’ve also seen them as Kolach and not the bready thing, more a flaky pastry crust.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, the recipe I see calls for a dozen eggs, a pound of butter, a cup of sour cream and two pounds of walnuts. You could make a bunch for $42 bucks, but rolling out all those little 3” circles…yikes! Rolling out pastry is my least favorite baking task…

Posts: 402 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. That is the Polish version called Kolachy. We have Croation donuts called pusharattas. Somewhat similar.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post