SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2000 Chevrolet Express Van - Anti-theft "Security System has Failed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2000 Chevrolet Express Van - Anti-theft "Security System has Failed Login/Join 
posted
Driving home in my 2000 Chevrolet Express cargo van this evening I noticed a light on the instrument panel that just said "Security". Anyone know what this means? It was on in the area where you might see a "Check Engine" warning.

Update: I have been researching this issue a lot online. There is a reset procedure involving leaving the ignition in the "on" position for 10 minutes until the "Security" light on the instrument panel goes off...... So I have tried this procedure but the "Security" light never goes off! I have waited 45 minutes and it does not go off. But that isn't the worst of it! Before attempting this "reset" the van would start normally and everything was OK except for that stupid "Security" light on the instrument panel. Well, now I am truly screwed because the van now will not start!!! The engine fires but immediately dies due to this crap system GM has stuck us with!!

Surely I can't be the only one this has happened to?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Collins,

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Roll up windows, lock doors check your six. Wink

Ignition switch may be worn out. "Security" has to do with the anti-theft system.

Posts: 1556 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Probably an issue with the passlock system. GM has a security system in vehicles from that era that interfaces with the tumblers in the ignition lock cylinder. When the keys or lock cylinder start to wear the system thinks the key is invalid and it throws that warning.

My 01 Silverado was doing that back in 2010 when I bought it, and I fixed it by replacing the lock cylinder. The local Chevy dealer set up the tumblers for me to match my key. I didn't see the light again until this winter when it started doing it intermittently again. Probably time for another crappy lock cylinder. Mine never failed to start because of it...the light was just annoying.

My brother's 98 S10 had the same problem, but it was so bad that the security system was disabling the fuel pump and the truck wouldn't start. We also fixed his with a new lock cylinder.

The whole thing is an idiotic, poorly implemented idea that adds unwanted expense and complexity to what should be just basic work trucks.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Sure. Kind of long but here it goes.

The round head double sided GM keys have three configurations not including Saturns, those were a whole different world due to keyway grooves.

There are two transponder (security) keys, both identified by a stamping on the shank, PK3 or the one with a circle and a plus (+) sign in the center. Those are the true security keys, if not programmed to your vehicle it's not going to run.

The key with no markings on the shank is what you have. I think (memory is getting dim, I was a GM parts counterman for 47 years and retired two years ago) there is a oddball security key system RPO (Regular Production Option) but I've never run across one of those. Basically looks like the transponder keys but has no security chip under the plastic head that needs to be programmed to the vehicle.

Your truck has a ignition lock cylinder (part the key goes into) that has a sensor system built into it. If the ignition lock cylinder is bypassed by hot wiring the truck it is supposed to sense this and kill the ignition. These can fail and allow it to run, you have a failure that is allowing it to do this. This is one failure, there are other things that can go wrong but this is the most common one.

Whatever, I recommend that you get it in for repairs, as some point it will leave you in the "walk home mode" a dealership inside joke for when the system takes a total dump and will not start or run.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far there hasn't been anything happening except the light is on. For a couple of years now I have had to "jiggle" the key while in the ignition switch to get the switch to turn so that it can start.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Were you driving on MLK blvd?

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
How many pounds of other stuff do you have on your key ring?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted April 07, 2019 10:58 AM Hide Post

Lots of other keys and a couple of key fobs.

H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
quote:
posted April 07, 2019 10:58 AM Hide Post

Lots of other keys and a couple of key fobs.

Not saying this is the case exactly for you.Too many keys on a key ring cause extreme wear on a lock cylinder.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Googled this issue and I find out that GM has an anti-theft security system that is prone to failure after a few years. Lots of stuff out there on the net about this. It seems that to have a dealer fix this will cost north of $1,000!!!

As I said in the update to the original post, after trying reset procedures for this system, the van will now not start at all. Fortunately it is in my garage and not out in the boonies somewhere or on the side of a highway.

There are also many aftermarket "Bypass" kits to bypass this system entirely. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Sure, I can acquire one of these bypass kits but I am just too old and stiff to try and contort my body to get into the areas where this thing needs to be installed. I tried one outfit that install all sorts of electronics like stereos, remote starts, etc. but they didn't seem interested.

posted Hide Post
Doing as shovelhead recommended. Getting it in for repairs at a local auto repair on Thursday. They said they fix what is wrong with the existing system rather than try to bypass. Their veerrry rough estimate for worst case is in the $600 range. We will see.

You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
My uncles Ford did something similar on a hunting trip once and wouldn’t start. We disconnected the battery for an hour, reconnected it, and the security light was gone and started right up.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The PCM (powertrain control module) on these vans, through which the security system operates, is subject to getting rained on, as well as being a great nesting place for mice. It is beneath the battery on the left side. See if wiring is chewed or the seal on the connectors penetrated and water inside. If they are not corroded you can clean them out with contact cleaner or something, dry and reassemble. It has helped some weird problems before.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Had a 2002 Impala with passkey and got the security light issue. First nothing happened, then it failed to start a few times. Local mechanic changed almost everything starting with the cylinder key and all told spent more than $900 to no avail.

It was a corroded fuse wire in or near the column, about a $20 part. Do that first!!!!!!!!! The corrosion increased the resistance in system making the passkey fail.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the van back from the local auto shop. They replaced most of the system except for the ignition switch. Total cost was $583.79. The part that seemed the most obvious to be faulty was the ignition switch! It seems that the OEM key was just worn out and that is why I had to "jiggle" the key to get the switch to turn. They cut new keys and now the old switch works like new. Anyways, the final damage was only about half of what other folks reported online from having had theirs repaired at a GM dealer.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I have the van back from the local auto shop. They replaced most of the system except for the ignition switch. Total cost was $583.79. The part that seemed the most obvious to be faulty was the ignition switch! It seems that the OEM key was just worn out and that is why I had to "jiggle" the key to get the switch to turn. They cut new keys and now the old switch works like new. Anyways, the final damage was only about half of what other folks reported online from having had theirs repaired at a GM dealer.
This reminds me the of the story of people who continuously replace chains on bikes when the sprocket is worn out.
Good luck sir.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post