SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tonight, the Orioles became the first pro team to wear uniforms with Braille lettering.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tonight, the Orioles became the first pro team to wear uniforms with Braille lettering. Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was the President of the Braille Institute in Los Angeles. For my 16th birthday he gave me 3 copies of Playboy magazine...in braille. This jersey is right along the same lines, a big gag.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3453 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I see.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Even the blind can see how bad the O's suck this year.

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I was just reminded that the jerseys go up for a auction for charity, The Maryland School for the Blind. Each of the crazy jerseys worn are sold for different charities over the year. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Simply put, this is stupid on steroids.

Oh, c'mon, its more than just a good idea, its visionary.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I think Tim and I could be friends.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I don't see the point, nor can I connect the dots.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2018 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
That doesn't seem to actually be braille. It doesn't appear to be raised. It seems to be a flat representation of braille - which no blind person could read.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
...For my 16th birthday he gave me 3 copies of Playboy magazine...in braille.

What was that old joke about the center-fold in the braille edition of Playboy? You want to help us out, medic451? Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
As a long suffering O's fan I think most of the team must have been suffering from some kind of blindness themselves most of this season.*s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It was never the braille on the drive through ATM keypad that bothered me, but rather how could the blind guy be sure the ATM was not shooting out five ones instead of five twenties?

Now that's robbing someone blind.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I see.

Really? Something about this whole thing feels wrong.

Whoever had to sew all those jerseys probably hit some bumps along the way.

It's basically a silly publicity stunt, I doubt things will go smoothly.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
...For my 16th birthday he gave me 3 copies of Playboy magazine...in braille.

What was that old joke about the center-fold in the braille edition of Playboy? You want to help us out, medic451? Cool

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3453 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of jokes here. Lots of talk of virtue signaling, But if it helps an organization that helps the blind, That’s a positive. There’s a lot of political bullshit in professional sports. This isn’t it. Is not like anyone wants to be blind.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see that one coming.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
It's so the umpire knows who is at the plate.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I saw a braille menu at a drive-thru the other day. Roll Eyes

I agree. More PC bullshit.

Every ATM I go to also has it.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braille on a drive through ATM makes sense.

Some blind people have drivers, the passenger still needs to and want to use the ATM machine.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I think Tim and I could be friends.

That's kind of how I feel about all the pink stuff for breast cancer. Most fire departments are doing the pink shirts for breast cancer awareness (including mine). It's not a fundraiser, it's just to raise awareness. My response was "Who, at this point, isn't aware that breast cancer exists?"

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post