SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Brisket Success Updated 12/27/19 step by step
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Brisket Success Updated 12/27/19 step by step Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
Most of the family made it for an early Christmas. It seems the Big Green Egg stayed hot for two weeks straight. The brisket was the star.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HayesGreener,

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Dang!

That sure came out nice.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
What’s the address. We will be over shortly. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4321 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have an Egg, also, but have never done brisket on it. What was your method? I’ve smoked turkey and pork shoulder.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
YouTube is a fantastic place to learn theory and techniques.

Pretty hard to get better advice than from these two:
  • Grand Champion Pitmaster Harry Soo

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWWpvJEpck

• Aaron Franklin the owner of Franklin BBQ which is one of the top BBQ joints on the planet. In 2015, he received the prestigious James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef in the Southwest.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23646 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    Delicious! Merry Christmas!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HayesGreener
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
    I have an Egg, also, but have never done brisket on it. What was your method? I’ve smoked turkey and pork shoulder.

Look at Adam Perry Lang's recipe, "Get a book" brisket recipe. I also inject it an hour before cooking. Letting it rest in the cooler 1-3 hours before the final step makes a huge difference in tenderness.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/re...-brisket-recipe.html

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HayesGreener:
    quote:

Look at Adam Perry Lang's recipe, "Get a book" brisket recipe. I also inject it an hour before cooking. Letting it rest in the cooler 1-3 hours before the final step makes a huge difference in tenderness.

APL is solid, very solid

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nosce te ipsum
    Picture of Woodman
    posted Hide Post
    Appropriated-sized for eating oneself sick. I'd be 2.5 pounds into the thing unless you stopped me. Love especially those carcinogenic ends. The Chinese lunch counter folk always laugh when I ask for the burnt ends, but hay, it's my thing.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Spread the Disease
    Picture of flesheatingvirus
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

Wow. That is quite extensive. I can’t wait to try it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    I may need to realign my priorities in life. I do not have a Big Green Egg. And this seems a somewhat terrible error.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by r0gue:
    I may need to realign my priorities in life. I do not have a Big Green Egg. And this seems a somewhat terrible error.

Do yourself a favor and get a Kamado Joe instead.....it's everything the Big Green Egg should've become.....

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Jimbo Jones
    posted Hide Post

---------------------------------------
    It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HayesGreener
    posted Hide Post
    Doing another one today. Here is the step by step

5:00 am

5:30 am

Injection marinade goes in.

6:00 am

Moisturizing paste and John Henry Pecan Rub goes on

7:00 am

On the smoker at 250 degrees, fat side down

10:00 am
    Apple Juice spray, every hour

1200 noon

165 degrees internal temp. Wrap in foil with apple juice. Back on the smoker fat side up

At 195 degrees I put the whole thing into humongous ziplock bag and into a towel line cooler where it rests for 1-3 hours until 30 minutes before final step

Remove the brisket from the bag and foil and back onto the smoker at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes with barbecue sauce.

Final product

Served with dill and thyme and butter roasted potatoes and raspberry/spinach/apple/walnut/goat cheese salad

My guests fell upon it like wolves. That is all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HayesGreener,

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Like you, my BGE has been on more than not since Sunday before Christmas when we started with smoke pastrami.

Looking forward to progress. I am too damn tired to even think of cooking.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12668 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I put mine fat side down too and will reverse it when I wrap it.

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    women dug his snuff
    and his gallant stroll
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by smschulz:
    I put mine fat side down too and will reverse it when I wrap it.

Me too, but I use a stick burner.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HayesGreener
    posted Hide Post
    The brisket is done and leftovers are gone. Tonight chicken thighs...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Big Stack
    posted Hide Post
    Um, you left out one picture, the one with the brisket sliced.

quote:
    Doing another one today. Here is the step by step

5:00 am

5:30 am

Injection marinade goes in.

6:00 am

Moisturizing paste and John Henry Pecan Rub goes on

7:00 am

On the smoker at 250 degrees, fat side down

10:00 am
    Apple Juice spray, every hour

1200 noon

165 degrees internal temp. Wrap in foil with apple juice. Back on the smoker fat side up

At 195 degrees I put the whole thing into humongous ziplock bag and into a towel line cooler where it rests for 1-3 hours until 30 minutes before final step

Remove the brisket from the bag and foil and back onto the smoker at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes with barbecue sauce.

Final product

Served with dill and thyme and butter roasted potatoes and raspberry/spinach/apple/walnut/goat cheese salad

My guests fell upon it like wolves. That is all.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post