SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Point and shoot camera alternative to iphone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Point and shoot camera alternative to iphone Login/Join 
posted
I’d like an alternative to my iPhone (or any phone) camera but I want something I can stick in a coat pocket or cargo pants. So far I’ve looked at the Canon ELPH 190 and 360 and the Sony RX 100 which is about $120 l+ more than the Canon’s.

This is for general purpose use and to get away from iPhone and android devices. 720 or 1080p video is fine. Image stabilization is a must. Under $400 desired.

I know Panasonic has some in this range but I haven’t looked at them yet.

Is there a better option for my basic needs you would recommend?

*** I didn’t find another thread on this topic, not including the higher end digital cameras.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Do your research on this: Fujifilm XF10.

Year V

Posts: 2634 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I've used a Sony RX100-III with great success.
Learnt how to program for starry sky and Milky Way images. Pricey for your purpose, perhaps.

The camera that I am having fun with, is a Nikon Coolpix W100. 3x optical zoom.
Waterproof to 33 feet - I use this snorkeling. Shockproof. Freeze proof.
WiFi. NFC and bluetooth.
Easy to use. Fits in a pocket. Kid friendly too.
It's very easy in a coat pocket, backpack or glovebox.
There's also Nikon's SnapBridge app for additional features.

Coolpix W100

There are other alternatives, like the Fuji mentioned above.

Do get along to a BestBuy, look and try for size and purpose.

YMMV.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I been real pleased with my Panasonic Lumix cameras. Hope this helps

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a small Fuji and it takes great photos.
Problem:
Its view screen washes out in bright sunlight. Can make composing your shot hit or miss.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16121 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your suggestions and insight. There are lots of good options for P&S cameras with the large CMOS sensors. I’ll probably go with the new LUMIX, Sony RX100 II, or the Fuji - even though they all exceed my needs for now anyway.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I been real pleased with my Panasonic Lumix cameras. Hope this helps

I have an older one for a point and shoot also.

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post