SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long term parking on wood blocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long term parking on wood blocks Login/Join 
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted
I see this often, particularly RVs, but sometimes cars and trailers. Folks will park on 2x wood blocking. Why?

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
In the RV, well, it makes for a nice flat surface and I don't have to extend the tongue jack so far. As a side note, most RV parks encourage using wood or the orange plastic crate things because it saves the concrete.

I think.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Keep from getting flat spots on the tires? Also, if the tires aren't monitored, I could see sidewall damage from prolonged abuse (weight on low pressure).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All I know is that if your house needs an alignment, you might be a redneck....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
In the RV, well, it makes for a nice flat surface and I don't have to extend the tongue jack so far. As a side note, most RV parks encourage using wood or the orange plastic crate things because it saves the concrete.

I think.
I mean the full weight of vehicle is on the tires is parked on the wood blocks.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Oh, no idea except that it might keep the tires from settling.
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

I think.
I mean the full weight of vehicle is on the tires is parked on the wood blocks.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's a guy down the block from me right now with his car up in the air like that (quite a ways up). From some hanging hoses I assume he's working on it, and they are instead of using jack stands. Though the idea frightened me.

I have seen things jacked up like that, my assumption was always the intent was to keep the tires off the ground. lmao (no shit) Why I don't know. Could it be one of those things people do because they think they're supposed to, despite not knowing why? Big Grin

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Placing the vehicle on boards is normally done to provide side to side leveling. When parking on anything other than hard surface (concrete or asph6), it is done to prevent settling into the soft groumd.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've used wood blocks on asphalt for heavier vehicles as it will make a dent in the asphalt over time (or in the case of a sharper object, like a motorcycle side-stand...right away).

Wood blocking under the tires could be for leveling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
To keep anyone from easily stealing your wood blocks.

Flat spotting tires it the deception.

It has been working for decades...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I can see this if your talking taking pressure off the tires.

You can get "flat spots" on tire if they sit for long periods of time.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was a moisture thing if the vehicle was going to be parked in the same spot for awhile.

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
RV's have to be very close to level to get their Absorption style Refrigerators to work properly and not fail. Those are refrigerators that run on propane. Blocks may be used to level it when the RV doesn't have leveling jacks.

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
If it's jack stands or frame stands with the wheels and tires hanging free, it is to prevent sacking out the suspension. Classic car collectors are prone to this behavior.

If the tires are on the blocks or stands, they are either gaining clearance for repairs or misguided.

To allow the suspension, wheels, and tires to hang may have some positive effect on the longevity of those items. I don't think it is a huge advantage, especially compared to other more expensive issues that plague cars, like humidity and the dreaded tin worm.

As stated, in RVs, it is common and highly advisable to level the unit before storage; especially in areas that may see temps below freezing.

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know one RV guy that does this, so he can slide underneath on a creeper, to work on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
RV's have to be very close to level to get their Absorption style Refrigerators to work properly and not fail. Those are refrigerators that run on propane. Blocks may be used to level it when the RV doesn't have leveling jacks.

Winner, winner chicken dinner...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

OK, but why would someone want the propane refrigerator running if someone has it parked in their driveway for months and months at a time. Most of the time I see owners use jack stands so their is no weight on the tires. This also allows them to level it if they want.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

OK, but why would someone want the propane refrigerator running if someone has it parked in their driveway for months and months at a time. Most of the time I see owners use jack stands so their is no weight on the tires. This also allows them to level it if they want.

They may also wish to use the their RV while in so called storage, the jacks provide stability, you should walk around or try to sleep in one while parked and not stabilized by jacks. There are different issues, questions and answers.

However, for example, hydraulic jacks can bleed down and leave the RV unlevel. Absorption refrigerators when not being used, and left unlevel, will fail if left that way. Period. The gas and chemical will settle away from the pilot light. When the owner tries to relight and operate the fridge, the heat applied won't be in the right place and the settled blockage won't separate and flow. You have to understand there is no compressor like your home fridge. It's new $$$ fridge time.

Bottom line, RV fridges are expensive as well as all the labor to remove and then install a new one. Preventive proper storage is much better.

And that's just the way absorption refrigerators operate.

And of course, there may be other reasons why someone uses blocks. Just ask them why.

I'm just saying that if you have an absorption fridge, you'd better learn how and why to take care of it, or you'll be paying lots of $$$.

(Then we can get into more expensive RV fridges that can also operate on 12 volt, 120 volt as well as the traditional.)

If you want to learn more, go to RV.net and join. There's more info there than I care to type out here.

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If this is to be done, use at least 2x6 or 2x8s, perhaps a foot and a half to two feet long, so as to support the entire contact surface of the tire.

Posts: 27987 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Chemicals in concrete can react with the tire compounds leading to early tire failure. Additionally, letting the tires sit in or on a moist surface cand damage the tires.

I always park my RV on 1/2" plastic sheets when we camp for those reasons.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post