SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Almost a year off the smokes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost a year off the smokes Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Way to go! what approach did you take to quitting?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Good show!

I quit, cold turkey, November 1984. I missed it at first, but now I find tobacco, especially in cigarette or chewing form, repulsive.

I do not object to the smell of a good cigar or pipe tobacco as much, but I will not do either of those myself, I just do not want to risk getting into the habit again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice work. I was at a convenience store the other day when the person in front of my bought a pack of smokes. $7.60. I'll bet your bank account does look much better.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job.
I need to do this also. Tried many times and failed on every attempt.
Keep it up.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and keep up the good work. This past Aug. was 30 yrs for me.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats and keep up the good work. I know it's hard (this Christmas eve will be 21 years for me) but well worth it. Just think of all "Things" your wife can buy with $$$ you save..... Big Grin

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Great Job! May 7, 2007 for me...after smoking for about 19 years (dumb, dumb, dumb).

A decision you'll never regret.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Nice work. I was at a convenience store the other day when the person in front of my bought a pack of smokes. $7.60.
WOW! I had several reasons for quitting, one of them was that I was pissed when the price went up to $1.75 / pack. That was 1984.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good work.

I quit a long time ago, after smoking for about ten years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Good job, you don't need it! Six years and four months today for me.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, keep it up.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Dr. told me to give it a year then go treat myself with the savings.
That has got to be a fair amount of money. Just one pack a day of the cheapest smokes for a year is over $2000.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern day Savage, I took Chantix. I tried the patch before that. It may have worked, I think I just wasn’t ready to commit.

Posts: 964 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Congrats, I know it isn't easy. Smoke free 19 years.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Congrats. That is no small feat. I smoked for near 30 years, usually of a pack a day. I did the cold turkey deal and man did I suffer for months.

After about 10 years, your lungs should be back to lovely pink instead of chimney black. Yeah it takes awhile although you really can't feel it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I had urges occasionally through year 2, usually when the weather was cold or some other event where I would particularly 'enjoy' to light up.

But I haven't had that in 3+ years (going on 5+ since my last).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and keep up the good work!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
That it helps your body to quit is the best reason to quit.

Another good reason is getting rid of the anxiety and frantic fear of running out of tobacco, and constant thinking of getting more smokes.

I look back now at how addictive smoking was.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, OP! Quitting is easy, staying quit is hard.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

Nice work. I was at a convenience store the other day when the person in front of my bought a pack of smokes. $7.60.
WOW! I had several reasons for quitting, one of them was that I was pissed when the price went up to $1.75 / pack. That was 1984.

A major price hike was also the final straw for me, and I quit cold turkey on Thanksgiving Day, 2010.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
That it helps your body to quit is the best reason to quit.

Another good reason is getting rid of the anxiety and frantic fear of running out of tobacco, and constant thinking of getting more smokes.

I look back now at how addictive smoking was.

One of my best friends who has now quit and hates tobacco, showed me the power of nicotine addiction. We were out on the lake enjoying a lovely summer weekend day, when he starts talking about going and buying a candy bar or something. I was having a good time and didn't want to go anywhere, so I blew off the idea. I watched him go through several levels of getting more and more serious about going to the store when I figured out it was cigarettes he wanted.
That was a quick lesson on the power of nicotine addiction.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post