SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is how it's supposed to work. Fastest and cheapest A/C repair evar!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is how it's supposed to work. Fastest and cheapest A/C repair evar! Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
We held out as long as we could but today we turned the house A/C on. It ran for a couple of hours before I realized that it wasn't cooling the house.

Ten minutes before: A friend called and asked if I would spray clear lacquer on a table he had distressed. Always happy to help those in need, I offered to do it no charge since I was just given ten gallons of satin lacquer for free from another friend.

Turns out my table friend is a master HVAC guy. As he's driving up my driveway I text him a question about what to check. He hops out, goes to my A/C compressor and begins checking. All is well there except it is not running. He presses the contacts and voila! on it comes. So he inspects my furnace unit and finds two wires I neglected to attach when I did my annual service and coil cleaning. Dummy.

We unload his table and I tell him when it will be done. We didn't have to wait for a tech to come nor pay a massive bill for parts we don't need. He even offered that if my unit had died, he would get me one at shop cost and install it no charge.

Big Grin Big Grin Everyone is served, we are even better friends, Mrs DF remains pleasantly cool tonight, my friend gets his table done perfectly and at no charge and no govt entity was empowered nor enriched.

To voluntarily serve and be served is the nature of the true principle of charity.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't call that charity as either of you could have paid for what you needed to get done. But you both did the neighborly thing and that's good.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you can't beat that for service. But it's more of a good trade rather than charity.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think it's closer to the true nature of charity in that one person working to have a charitable heart, willing to give to another without compensation other than to do a good deed, is in turn later given service for his efforts. This time it was instant karma. Anyway, whatever it was, all parties are edified and govt is deprived of what it craves. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post