SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What would you invest $11,000 in?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you invest $11,000 in? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Other paying off your vehicle which is not necessarily a bad idea I would look at these things manu already mentioned.

1st and foremost do you have $5,000-$10,000 in cash that can be accessed by entering your safe?

Then do you have 2-3 months savings that you can liquidate very quickly if needed. Bank account that gives has an interests bearing even if its small,
I know that there few online banks Capital One will give or 1.5%. with no fess to start or withdraw.

Once this in place I would look at at market investments. If this is long term then conservative portfolio is a good idea (You should contact a brokerage firm if you already have 401K or IRAs set up with them for assistance.

$11,000 is not alot of money to invest but it is also nothing to sneeze at.

AS far as commodities, equities, ETFs I would not want to give recommendations. It's not reposnsible of me as it's not my money.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Barrett M107A1

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3601 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...all the usual disclaimers... assuming you have an adequate cash reserve fund, etc...

$2,750 x 4 purchases of VTI. purchase one block of shares per month for the next 4 months.

VTI would offer broad diversification at low cost. no hazards associated w single stocks.

(of course loss of value in the short term could occur due to current volatile market conditions)

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Are we on page 3 with nobody yet recommending hookers and blow?

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd buy 500 shares of Wesbanco wsbc. pays 5.6% div. Put it in div reinvest and forget about it.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Boeing is back down and under $140 Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Buy a Rolex.

Posts: 5307 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Are we on page 3 with nobody yet recommending hookers and blow?

Social distancing guidelines prohibit hooker patronization, at least for the time being.

Unless you can patronize them from 6 feet away, in which case, good for you, kid.

Posts: 32534 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Education. No one can take it away from you. Mine cost a lot more than that.
Read these books:
https://www.buffettsbooks.com/

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Dave Ramsey's steps, and another take on them.

How firm a foundation do you have in this unsettled time? (Rhetorical)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put it in a Vanguard or Fidelity fund tied to Nasdaq or the Dow and forget about it.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short term: anyone who makes N95 (and better) filter material. Business has to be booming right now. Since reselling type of folks are not supposed to be gouging these days, it's probably the next best slimy thing, with none of that 'social shaming' crap. Razz

Saw that the barrel price of Texas sweet crude actually went negative for a time this past Monday; the notion of paying someone to take your oil...not sure if I'd want to play in such a weak marketplace but sure, in the longer haul things should improve. That said, I'm not sure that it's going to take off in a true long term picture. A lot of the up-and-coming generations don't like the idea of using crude oil period, especially when it comes to making energy. There was already a lot of downward pressure on price and demand before COVID-19 reared its head and I wouldn't expect this trend to go away once the disease and its impact is finally put to bed. When all the cars got parked, folks in certain places and spaces noticed that it's a lot quieter and peaceful, and their air that they breathe no longer had a smell and color to it.

As for what I'd think about investing in: companies that market and sell to the work-at-home crowd, from tech to building material suppliers to office stuff. More than a few folks that I know seem more than a little skittish of returning to their workplaces. They know the habits of their coworkers and how that environment was before all of this shit happened. My wife's operations manager won't give the 'all-clear' for her building, so she's continuing to work here at home. So if a work-at-home option still remains as an option, I would not be surprised if most who can, will choose to do so. Hell, we're looking at standing desk options for my wife right now, a new printer and a better VPN solution, as well as upgrading our internet speed. And frankly we could use an addition for a proper home office. Somebody's got to be making bank from all of this...

-MG

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
4 shares of Amazon before their earnings come out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post