SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley-Davidson 120th Rally
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley-Davidson 120th Rally Login/Join 
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted
Anyone coming to Milwaukee for the Rally?

I’ll offer up time to meet up with anyone who may be in town.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. No interest in going to Milwaukee. Even though I just bought a new Pan America.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ought to be a great event, little far for me based on available time.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m in WI, but own a Honda. I’m working a bunch anyway, keeps me out of trouble.

I’m saving myself for Oshkosh, the big fly-in, last week of July.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Hell, I was born in Milwaukee and have no desire to return there. Ever.

Posts: 530 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish I could go. I think it will be a good time.

Posts: 425 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'd love to experience it (had a 1984 Sportster) but I'm too old to make the trip now. Love to hear the Harleys!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I made it to the 100th but quit riding a few years ago so… nope, won’t make it. Should be a great time!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having attended the last three anniversaries, I can say there doesn't seem to be very much excitement around this one. But interest has been falling off since the 100th. That will never be topped.

Posts: 2487 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Nope. No interest in going to Milwaukee. Even though I just bought a new Pan America.

You previously had a BMW GS didn't you?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Traded the BMW for the Harley.

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Yep. Traded the BMW for the Harley.

.... and? Just curious how you feel the two compare?

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pan American Vs BMW GS.
The PA is a strange experience, at least at first. It starts and idles like a Harley, but its less potato, potato, potato and more tater tot, tater tot, tater tot. Toasts your lower extremities at traffic lights like a Harley, too. Shifting feel is Harley like, too. Once moving, it rides, handles and accelerates like a GS. Stable handling, excellent brakes, strong acceleration and lots of torque. Roll on the throttle (even in 6th gear) and 100 MPH comes up quick! Great wind protection for an adventure bike. All the current rage in electronic gizmos:
Advanced ABS, traction control, stability control, phone connectivity, cruise control, heated grips and multiple ride modes, including a mode you can customize to your riding style. Automatic suspension ride height, too. All these features favorably compare to BMW bikes I have owned. Harley got a lot of things right with the bike, given this is their first bike in the adventuring market.
Here is what they did not get right: Abysmally stupid battery placement underneath the bike in a position where it gets loads of road dirt and is very difficult to get access to. The "luggage rack" is flimsy plastic and is rated for a whopping... 5 pounds! Air filter mounted under the fuel tank requiring an awkward tank removal process to service it. Anemic stock headlamps for a bike used in remote areas. The built in GPS display is phone connectivity based and should be a standalone unit with direct satellite reception. A must have for back country navigation. The mounting points for the adjustable windscreen are flimsy. The kickstand (Harley calls it a Jiffy Stand) has a footprint far too small to support the bike on dirt or gravel and oddly, requires me to lean the bike over to the right for quite a bit before I can deploy it. Harley appears to be struggling with the electronics on the bike and there is lots to read on these related issues on the various bike forums.
Here is why I actually went with the PA: There are no BMW dealerships in the Yoop, so for me to get service I have to take a long ride into Wisconsin to get serviced. I usually stay overnight while the service is done and this expense just adds to the pricey BMW service costs. My H-D dealer is in walking distance of my home and has treated me very well. Local $$$ spent for local people and no overnight hotel stays.
Bottom line: I have owned two later model BMWs and they were excellent, very refined and reliable bikes. Does the adventure Hog favorably compare to the German iron? In most areas it does! All told, I would rate my BMWs on a scale of 1 to 10 with a rating of 9. I rate the Pan American (so far, anyway) as an 8. YMMV.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Pan America. I've heard some have experienced electrical problems but the latest versions might have that resolved.
Similar story here regarding dealer proximity, HD is 45 minutes while the BMW dealer is 2 hours and 15 minutes. But I also have a Moto Guzzi dealer as well as the Japanese and KTM dealer within 40 minutes. Fortunately I seldom need to see them.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've demo ridden a few Pan America bikes at Daytona, you don't go off pavement of course, but they seem well made, the "jiffy stand" footprint I agree should be wider flatter for off road, the shift lever is tiny, tucked in tight like a road racing crotch rocket that needs the lean angle.

It is quick, once you get the RPM up the thing takes off like a rocket, probably not so much for you crotch rocket jockeys but for us cruiser riders, it is quick.

I'd change pegs, shift and brake levers for some with easier access for my size 14's. You can always add some LED off road lights for more visibility off road.

Coming from HD it's an interesting build they got most of it right on the first try...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post