SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car audiophiles, step inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car audiophiles, step inside Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
I've had my truck for a couple years now and am going through the process of upgrading some of the speakers. I'll be replacing the rear door speakers first and then maybe in a couple months I'll do the front door speakers. Replacing speakers I've done before.

What I haven't ever done before and would like to try is sound deadening the doors while I have the door panels off. I've been watching some videos on youtube and it doesn't look that difficult.

I've been looking at all the big names in sound deadening and find myself overwhelmed with all the different products.

What have yall used and have been happy with and would sugguest?

Posts: 11174 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crutchfield for their customer service and recommendations.

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Crutchfield recommendation. Top notch company with awesome CS.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll give a nod to the last two posts. I just swapped a new radio into the dash of my old Ford, and Crutchfield is where I got it. Their advisor was incredibly helpful in guiding me to what I wanted, not what they wanted to sell me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sound treating a vehicle can be simple to elaborate and not terribly expensive to very - depending on what you are trying to achieve.
Sounds like a simple speaker upgrade and some vibration control.
There are multiple products and again depending on what you want to achieve.
The simplest and most basic would be to apply a Dynamat type product to the inner door walls.
I used the Noico product as it was much cheaper and just as effective as Dynamat.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-d...omotive%2C110&sr=1-3

Note: theoretically you should do the ceiling and floors too.
^^ This mainly stops exterior panel vibration.

Other products:
To quiet road noise you need a MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) between you and the source of the noise.
It is very expensive and difficult to install.
Second Skin Luxury Liner is one > https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lastly apply a dampening Insulator between the door panel and the door to stop interior vibrations.
Vibro (1/4 or 1/2 inch) > https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are more things but that might get you started.

Good Luck

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Here's a thread on Sound Deadening by Black92LX when he upgraded his Toyota Tundra...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0044974?r=7830054974

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8946 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations, smschultz.

Thanks for that link, nhracecraft. Didn't even cross my mind to try and search, seemed to obscure of a question I was asking.

Posts: 11174 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on what kind of truck you have. I have found that most Dodge trucks are fairly tight. Crutchfield has good stuff.

Seen too many times someone take out the factory radio and put in something else. Good idea? Maybe? See what you have first.

That new Pioneer may not sound as good as the Harman Kardon or Alpine they just pulled out and gave away. Big Grin

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Here's a thread on Sound Deadening by Black92LX when he upgraded his Toyota Tundra...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0044974?r=7830054974

I could not be happier with my choice in Kilmat. Price is very reasonable and is easy to work with all things considered.
Make sure you buy a roller or some sort.
I have a number of boxes sitting waiting for me to get a chance to do the doors. I have all new speakers and an amp though I am contemplating selling all that.
My headunit upgrade and sound deadening the rear made a huge difference and doing the doors will only help.
Though I figure if I am pulling apart the doors to sound deaden may as well install all the stuff I have and not sell it.

The interior of my Mustang has been stripped for years it will all be Kilmatted once I get a chance to put all that back together.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25440 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
It's a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. It has the Alpine system in it, but from the research I've done, the door speakers are the same as in a Tradesman. I went with the Infinity Reference 9633IX for the rear doors. These were the ones I saw used most on the Ram forums as a replacement.

I'm going to go with the Kilmat. For ~$65 I should be able to get both rear doors done. I'm also going to try my hand at adding the Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
It's a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. It has the Alpine system in it, but from the research I've done, the door speakers are the same as in a Tradesman. I went with the Infinity Reference 9633IX for the rear doors. These were the ones I saw used most on the Ram forums as a replacement.

I'm going to go with the Kilmat. For ~$65 I should be able to get both rear doors done. I'm also going to try my hand at adding the Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro.

Just as a heads up I would be prepared to loose a bit of your low end bass with those speakers over factory.
They have great quality and clarity for mid and highs but lack very much in the lows.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25440 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Hoping it won't be an issue because of the stock sub. Every thread I've seen says it a night and day improvement over the stock speakers. Fingers crossed.