SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paying taxes for goods bought in another state.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying taxes for goods bought in another state. Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I live in Oregon and we have no sales tax, I went to purchase some magazines from a gun store in Texas and she tried to charge me for sales tax. I said that we don't get charged sales taxes in Oregon. She said if I want the magazines she has to charge me sales tax ???

So who is right here ??

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
As long as your order is multiplied by 0, what's the problem? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were you taking possession of the goods in Texas, or were they being shipped to you in Oregon? If it's the former, I think it's required to charge you the sales tax of the state in which the goods are purchased. If they are shipped to a state with no sales tax, they should not be charging you sales tax.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure magazines and books are subject to Texas Sales Tax.

Link

EDIT: sorry, I guess I misread the OP and was thinking of printed magazines to read. My apologies.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I’m pretty sure magazines and books are subject to Texas Sales Tax.

Link
Mkay?
Sooo... Magazines like the kind you read? Or magazines like the kind you load and use in a firearm?

And how does that apply to sales across state lines?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Texas is an "origin based" tax issue.

Since the sale originates in Texas, taxed are collected at the time of sale.

If you purchased from Florida (online), you would not pay sales tax in Oregon. (as Florida is "destination based" tax issue.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I live in Oregon and we have no sales tax, I went to purchase some magazines from a gun store in Texas and she tried to charge me for sales tax. I said that we don't get charged sales taxes in Oregon. She said if I want the magazines she has to charge me sales tax ???

So who is right here ??

She is wrong. Shipping an order out of state in TX is not subject to TX sales tax. I do ship out of state, report the out of sales as tax exempt on my quarterly sales tax return.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
quote:

So who is right here ??

She is wrong. Shipping an order out of state in TX is not subject to TX sales tax. I do ship out of state, report the out of sales as tax exempt on my quarterly sales tax return.

This, either she doesn't know the law or is too lazy to keep up with her exempt sales and report them as exempt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
At this point it doesn't matter anymore because I ordered my shield mags from the factory now that they are back in stock, I was put on a list from elite armory and they called this morning, kind of glad they made this mistake as they wanted 45.99 each 7 shipping and 20 for taxes.

Thanks for all the reply's, I have ordered all over the country and never had an issue, but if I would have paid the tax would they just pocketed the money it or would that be put into the sales tax fund?

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Texas is an "origin based" tax issue.

Since the sale originates in Texas, taxed are collected at the time of sale.

If you purchased from Florida (online), you would not pay sales tax in Oregon. (as Florida is "destination based" tax issue.

So with this, would the buyer be responsible for taxes in Texas and the destination state?

Personally, I would prefer point of sale taxes because hopefully this god forsaken state of mine would sales until that reality hits them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that for the states that use origin-based sales tax like Texas it only applies to intrastate sales. So if the seller was in Dallas, TX and the purchaser was located in San Antonio the sales tax rate for Dallas would be charged. Interstate sales are still based on the destination of the purchaser.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

I had several businesses (and partners) during the mid 90s, one in Florida, one in Texas, Louisiana and one in Arizona.

FL and LA were "Destination" and Texas and Arizona were "Origin Based".

At the time (and as I was advised) the "tax nexus" (we had "tax presence" in those states), that we collect tax as is the person walked in the store and purchased. Even though they were from out of state, if they had driven to the state that collected tax (Texas and Arizona) we would collect tax at Point of Sale, and therefore should collect and remit to those states Revenue centers.

Florida and Louisiana, only were concerned with taking taxes in the state for state residents who purchased in the specific state that they resided in. (So FL resident purchases in Fl were taxed, and same for LA residents purchasing in LA, but not for those out of state).

And, being a "tax collector" was one of the greatest reasons I was willing to walk away from all of that and go to work for a private corporation.

(and another things was that some of the tax laws were so convoluted, that I could get different a different way of applying the taxing, depending on who I got on the phone when I called the Dept of Revenue(s). And that was after reading everything they provided (and they provided a bunh of reading material).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
... if I would have paid the tax would they just pocketed the money it or would that be put into the sales tax fund?

It was not clear from your first or follow up post if this was an online purchase, over the phone or in person. If it was in-person in Texas, you're paying sales tax.

If it was over the phone or if they have a small ecommerce website presence, it's possible they elected to collect the sales tax from everyone no matter what. Less work accounting wise. I would doubt they would pocket the money, but you never know. Technically, they should not require sales tax be collected.

The regulatory cost to manage and keep track of it, and explain to the state those particular sales were shipped out of state might not be worth the hassle. I've seen the state audit a small business. $10k in sales were shipped out of state out of a total of about $600k for the year. The state demanded to see the shipping records from UPS ... for about $600 in "uncollected" sales tax.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post