SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about TV DVR's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about TV DVR's Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
We get 20 MB down, and less than 5 or so up. ... We have 2 adults and 2 kids and the speed isn't generally an issue when multiple people stream.

It depends upon what you're streaming. 4K HD TV can demand 15Mb/s or more. Heck, I've seen 1080P OTA TV running as high 14Mb/s on our LAN.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Ridewv,

After the fiber connection is made, cal your cell provider and ask if they can help.

Sprint has/ had a device which connects to the internet and uses a GPS signal for time synchronizing (forget the name of the device) and it's sent free of charge.

Two downsides with that device though; it only works for the Sprint network and, you can limit who uses it (like a neighbor or anyone else)

Not anymore. Sprint/Tmobile now has wifi calling on most phones and no longer supports the old Airrave devices. Ours stopped working some time ago and they eventually sent us a letter saying they don't want it back, we can throw it away.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Update: They just finished hooking me up. After 19 years now I finally have real internet with good wifi enabling a cell phone to work in my house! I called a few friends to test and it works.
I clicked on a few websites and the pages pop up instantly. I may celebrate by actually watching a movie tonight! Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aeteocles, sure is nice. I guess akin to getting running water.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by alinc100:
Yes but NBC on Demand,CBS on demand,ABC on demand insert commercials . I try to record on my DVR to FF through versus the On Demand route...

If you mean DVR OTA TV: Enjoy it while it lasts. My prediction is ATSC 3.0, aka: "Next Gen TV" will probably eventually make that impossible. You see: Unlike the current digital TV, ATSC 1.x, ATSC 3.0 will allow for DRM (Digital Rights Management). Once they start slapping DRM on OTA TV, you can kiss most OTA TV DVRs goodbye.

The broadcast TV industry hated consumer recording of its content ever since the advent of the VCR. I don't believe for a minute they won't use DRM to finally achieve their long-held dream of killing it.

Our experience: We invested in a $40 Mohu indoor antenna (it's about the sized of a hardcover book and sits on a bookshelf). We found we could pull in crystal-clear all the networks including FOX and a couple of PBS stations/sub-stations. Next, we invested in a $149 Tablo OTA DVR that allows us to record/watch 2 channels at once. (They have Tablos that allow up to 4 channels at once. The Tablo connects to the antenna and uses our WiFi to send the signal to our TVs via apps on our Roku and Firestick. It's all very simple and seamless. The picture quality is as good as cable. The Tablo has a built in colorful channel guide and schedule, and automatic commercial skip that works great.

As to concerns about ATSC 3.0, it's my understanding that the FCC mandated that any station that goes to that format must still continue to offer the current ATSC 1.X for 5 years.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alinc100:
It should be noted that a lot of the streaming /on demand services force you to watch the commercials as "fast-forwarding is not available" . Just something to be aware of.

There's no way around commercials on ad-supported Hulu and the other on-demand streaming services, but if you're getting your on-demand from Comcast/Xfinity, you can try reprogramming your remote:

Step 1: Press the Exit button three times

Step 2: Press 0030

Now, when you use your remote, you'll find that the page up button, which previous skipped ahead five minutes, now skips ahead 30 seconds. And the page down button now skips back 15 seconds, even though the Replay button near the top of the remote also skips back 15 seconds.

We've cut the cord on Comcast/Xfinity cable, but when we had it, and wanted to watch an on-demand show, we found the above remote hack worked even with on-demand shows to "fast-forward" through the commercials.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post