SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can’t I just order a belt based on waist size?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can’t I just order a belt based on waist size? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
My son needs a belt. I’d like to order him a good one from one of the members here, but they all say they need me to measure an existing belt. He doesn’t have one and I don’t have one that fits him either.

I can measure him well enough to get his size right for a $350 swim suit with no trouble.

Why can’t belts be ordered based on waist size?

Posts: 10994 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knows. I did learn learn something about belts. 32 inch belts are not all the same. It matters where the holes are. That was very annoying.

Drag him down to the dept store and try on some belts that fit and bring y0ur tape measure.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^That sounds easier than it is. Our Mall went bankrupt and Dillards, the only department store left, closes at 5pm. It’s the exact opposite of anywhere we go and costs $5.50 in diesel round trip.

Posts: 10994 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
General convention is to "add 2 inches" to pants size. E.g. if you have a 34" waist, you should try a 36" belt.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^That sounds easier than it is. Our Mall went bankrupt and Dillards, the only department store left, closes at 5pm. It’s the exact opposite of anywhere we go and costs $5.50 in diesel round trip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Damn we have three malls, a Belk and a bunch of other stuff. Closes at five??? That is just stupid. We are a 24 hour town and always have been.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Talk to The Beltman, a member here, and a hell of a nice guy. He will set you straight.

Posts: 6499 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We live in the oldest county in the country. Seriously, over half the population is over 50 and 34% is over 65. As a result, shopping opportunities are limited. UTC mall in Sarasota is about an hour away, but that place is crazy and $35 in diesel round trip.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Villages. I bet it would be a great place to practice Geriatric medicine. Your kids must go nuts with that demographic.
Our median age is 34, and the income is pitiful at 48 thousand. Lots of hospitality jobs and the shipyard. We also have two junior colleges and a Pharmacy school.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Why can’t belts be ordered based on waist size?
One presumes the custom belt makers have found that too-often results in a disappointing outcome?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Some real first world problems here.

I think ensigmatic probably summed it up best. If that was the best way to do it, belt manufacturers probably would. I doubt their purposefully being obtuse for no reason.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6336 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Sounds like the Villages. I bet it would be a great place to practice Geriatric medicine. Your kids must go nuts with that demographic.
Our median age is 34, and the income is pitiful at 48 thousand. Lots of hospitality jobs and the shipyard. We also have two junior colleges and a Pharmacy school.

The kids actually do fairly well with it, but we and other parents spend a lot of time making it work. It’s not like where I grew up where every other house had kids the same age. My kids can’t just walk down the street and get a pickup game of whatever going.

Instead, parents will drop the kids at one kid’s house or another. Or, like today, we dropped the kids off at a park to roam free with one parent staying just in case. So the six 11-12 year olds spent three hours together on their own. It’s actually two parks connected by a two mile line river walk.

My 16 year old is at dinner right now at a nice restaurant with the swim team before the home coming dance. He’s wearing a nice suit and a pair of Allen Edmond shoes, but doesn’t have a belt. We’re the same shoe size, belt size though, not so much.

For the record, he had a belt that only lasted 8 months and I threw it out before getting the measurement. I know belt makers aren’t being obtuse and realize they must have a reason, hence the question I asked.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Helpful article: How to Measure Your Belt Size From the article...

quote:
How to Choose a Belt Size based on Pant Size

An easy way to determine belt size is to simply “add 2″ to your off-the-rack trouser size. For example, if you wear a 36” waist trouser, then a 38 belt size will be a safe bet. Most will find this simple formula works best for pants worn at a traditional height–close to the natural waistline. For a belt to wear with low rise trousers or jeans, consider adding 3 or 4 to your pant size.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The kids actually do fairly well with it, but we and other parents spend a lot of time making it work.

^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the feedback.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What kind of swimsuit costs $350?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The TYR Venzo Camo Highwaist Jammer Tech Suit: Link. Even better than the price is that they only last about three wearings. I wasn’t going to get him one this year, but the one from last year fell apart at Districts. He and three teammates came in 15th at States in the 200 free relay, which isn’t bad considering they lost 2 1/2 weeks of practice due to Ian.

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these Cut To Fit Belts recently. Nice belt for the price.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
What kind of belt is he wanting, a leather dress belt? What color?

BTW, what kkina posted is accurate for sizing.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those swim teams are sure anal. Look at this:

The following unofficial rules are borrowed from the NCAA Swimming and Diving Rules, under Rule 3.

Suits must conform to standards of "propriety" (modesty and decency).
The suit must be made of a woven (textile) material.
They forgot one mentioned in the US team rules:
No transparent suits allowed.
Suits must be one hundred percent permeable to air and water.
Material must be buoyant.
Swimsuit material must be no less than .8 mm thick.
Neither the suit's material nor its construction may "provide external stimulation or influence of any form" (for details, see Rule 3).
The suit while used must follow the body shape.
The design may not trap air.
Men's suits may not extend above the waist or below the knees. Women's suits may not extend beyond the shoulders, below the knees or cover the neck.
No zippers or fasteners.
The suit must not exceed two layers, together which may not be thicker than 1 mm.
Elastic is allowed is certain areas (shoulder straps, waist opening, and leg openings).
All suits must be constructed the same way.
Use of water resistant sprays and tape to modify the material is prohibited.
One institutional logo not exceeding 9 square inches is allowed on a suit.
Only one single manufacturer or distributor's logo at a competition is allowed on the outside of apparel, regardless of how visible, and is not to exceed 2-1/4 square inches.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The TYR Venzo Camo Highwaist Jammer Tech Suit: Link. Even better than the price is that they only last about three wearings. I wasn’t going to get him one this year, but the one from last year fell apart at Districts. He and three teammates came in 15th at States in the 200 free relay, which isn’t bad considering they lost 2 1/2 weeks of practice due to Ian.

You have got to be shitting me. A swimsuit made out of nylon and spandex that costs $400 and last three swims?

Oh, but the good news is it has free shipping!!

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Leather dress belt. Probably black and tan. Something like the Beltman double stitched 1.25” bull hide.