SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The percentage of donations to a major Catholic charity that go to the poor.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The percentage of donations to a major Catholic charity that go to the poor. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
In my experience most who give through a church or other middle man give to make themselves feel better rather than to help their fellow man. That would actually take a bit of effort.

I tell those people to find and buy a homeless person a good meal.

Of course I'm ignored.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
Google "Charity Navigator". It's one of the best sources for analyzing what a charity does with its funds. Some of the profiles might surprise you.

Yeah, you'd be surprised. Some of the best known charities, such as pink ribbons for breast cancer and Wounded Warrior put the bulk of their donations towards awareness, which is a euphemism for advertising & publicity. Awareness has its place, but how about putting more money towards research towards a cure or donating to families of deceased servicemen?

Posts: 3262 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they will ever sell indulgences again?

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I quit giving cash years ago, I keep my donations local and in goods mainly for animals. Just did a $350 dollar cat supplies run to our county Humane Society. I know every penny will go to the cats.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10% making it to the people who need it seems in line with most major charities sadly..

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
In my experience most who give through a church or other middle man give to make themselves feel better rather than to help their fellow man. That would actually take a bit of effort.

Time, talent or treasure, my man.

Thanks for being judgmental. Roll Eyes

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A while back I got a call soliciting funds to help "our brave disabled veterans.' Nothing more specific. On a whim, I asked the guy what percentage of donations go to veterans services, and what percent goes to overhead for salaries and additional fundraising. Oddly enough, the guy almost seemed relieved that I asked. 85% for additional fundraising. 15% for veterans direct services. I still have no idea why he answered the question and told me the truth. Maybe some kind of mandatory disclosure law? Obviously, no contribution from me.

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"...

Google "Charity Navigator". It's one of the best sources for analyzing what a charity does with its funds. Some of the profiles might surprise you.

+1
My first stop when contemplating to what charities I should consider in making charitable contributions.

Silent

Posts: 1054 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
quote:
"...

+1
My first stop when contemplating to what charities I should consider in making charitable contributions.

Silent

Very good source. I give money to The Samaritan's Purse.

87.5% of donations go to services.

https://www.charitynavigator.o...h.summary&orgid=4423

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Catholic here, and I never donate to any of the national appeals. Only to my local parish and ministries, and maybe some to specific campaigns for different things in the archdiocese of OKC. Our parish does many great things in the community from running a food pantry to crisis pregnancy centers. The opulence is in Rome, not at the local level.

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Wonder if they will ever sell indulgences again?
I'm selling them but I only take PayPal. Big Grin

Thanks for the charity navigator suggestion. I'm going to check it out.

I attended a corporate protestant church for a while and the pastor explained that anything given as "tithe" is then tithed to the home church (in this instance it was the church of God in Cleveland, Tennessee) but anything given as general fund was all kept at the church. After I left there, I changed to an unincorporated church (church of Christ) everything was internal. Everything was kept for upkeep or charity for members first and community second. The preacher never took a salary. If not for the unbiblical doctrine I'd have stayed as that church actually tried to make a difference in the member's lives.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
10% making it to the people who need it seems in line with most major charities sadly..

Not the well-run ones. That is a crappy percentage, and if a charity is run that inefficently/fraudulently, it is not worth donating to.

Several posts mention Charity Navigator. That is a great place to see if a charity is putting its money doing the work it claims or is lining insider pockets. I don't donate till I check the potential recipients out there first.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the catholic church is the richest entity on the planet....if the pope wanted to fund some distribution for the help of starving kids in Africa, they could sell some priceless piece of art they own....haven’t seen an auction for “Madonna with child” or some sculpture from St. Peter’s .....so I have some choice words for them...simple sailor words....

I will give to the poor as I see fit.....locally.

Or I give to the Shriners hospitals for children( they tried to help my big brother) Mrs Mike donates to St Jude for children

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I walked away from organized religion 50 years ago. I donate as I see fit.

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have seen an ad on youtube, it's the local diocese asking for donations to help retired nuns.

Pretty pathetic, not the nuns....they kept their part of the bargain but that the church is so broke they are advertising on youtube.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post