SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Employer paid education.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Employer paid education. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
I'm about to sign up for a certificate program for work. The class is a little over $5k, our tuition program says that if you leave < 6 months after reimbursement that money is owed to the company. So what does that mean in real life? Last paycheck and vacation time is kept?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think it simply means you would be charged the price of the class, however much that was. They'd probably send you a bill if you didn't have back pay to cover it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My son had his company write a $60,000 check to pay for his MBA. He had to sign a contract to stay for 2 years after he graduated or pay the whole amount back.

My last employer paid my moving expenses. Same deal. Two years.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4236 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same for me. Stay for 36 months or pay full amount back. Basically a promissory note.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Several years ago the grandaughter while working for Walgreen"s was offered paid tuition for attending pharmacy technician class. No payback required and no contract time line to stay after completion and certification. She was the only graduate out of 35 in her class. Guess the others only looking to get away from store work. About a year later when Walgreen" took over K & B the work load became unbearable and she would be a floating/traveling pharmancy tech for the entire state of Louisiana so she told them to go pound sand and went to work for another pharmancy in less than 24hrs and less than 50 yards distance away. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm about to sign up for a certificate program for work. The class is a little over $5k, our tuition program says that if you leave < 6 months after reimbursement that money is owed to the company. So what does that mean in real life? Last paycheck and vacation time is kept?

I think that's pretty reasonable.

My company has a 3 year policy but reduces by a percentage each year after the completion of the education.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
quote:

I think that's pretty reasonable.

My company has a 3 year policy but reduces by a percentage each year after the completion of the education.

I'm not planning on leaving, especially in the short term. I was just hoping this is one of those things like a no compete clause that has no teeth. Recruiters reach out to me all the time and offer large increases in pay, just wanted the flexibility to take them up if a perfect opportunity comes up.

Maybe I should just count my blessings that mine seems to be a rather loose requirement compared to others. Worse case scenario, if a perfect opportunity comes up within six months, I'll ask for signing bonus to offset or just take the hit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My company had tuition reimbursement that worked pretty well. You paid for your classes up front and at the end of the semester you turned in your grades or cert of completion and they gave you the money on your check. There was a window of 2 weeks to turn in your grades or you S O L on the money, don't ask me how I know. Otherwise it was a sweet deal.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they fire you, you don't have to pay the money back, so if you want to take a new, job just get yourself fired from the current job. I'm sure you can think of a creative way to get fired.

On the other hand, deliberately trying to get yourself fired might result in a promotion instead.

Seriously, some prospective employers may be willing to pay the IOU for you. I've not heard of any specific case where someone left, didn't pay and got sued, nor I have I heard of anyone actually paying. It would be interesting to hear about actual cases.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that's just to pause some people. If you think about it, most companies don't have a process to invoice their employees. At worst, they can withhold your vacation and last paycheck and maybe ask you for the rest.

If the company lays you off or fires you, you wouldn't be liable.

I encourage everyone who can to take tuition assistance. My MBA was fully funded by my company and my bachelors and second masters was partially funded. They were partially funded as I switched jobs during those schooling.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19693 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
USAF paid for my MSIE degree (and full pay while a student). I was required to stay 2 years afterward to be eligible. (I did--I retired 11 years later.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you leave that job, and your last paycheck and unused vacation time doesn't cover the bill, couldn't they 1099 you for the remaining balance?

Posts: 2230 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithbc:
If you leave that job, and your last paycheck and unused vacation time doesn't cover the bill, couldn't they 1099 you for the remaining balance?

Yes. They can also hand it over a collection agency. I’ve seen both for unpaid corporate travel card balances and unreturned company equipment.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:

My company had tuition reimbursement that worked pretty well. You paid for your classes up front and at the end of the semester you turned in your grades or cert of completion and they gave you the money on your check.
I had that type of deal too, from a company that I worked for way back in the early 1970s.

The tuition reimbursement was keyed to the grade earned for the course: 100% for an 'A', 80% for a 'B', etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30713 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My employer has over the psst 6 years paid over $10,000 for me to be trained in firearms.... the only problem is ... I work for myself.

I guess if I quit... I'll have to pay myself back?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post