SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headless Pigeon On My Front Lawn: Cat or Hawk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headless Pigeon On My Front Lawn: Cat or Hawk? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Yesterday morning I went out to my car and I noticed there was a feather explosion all over the front lawn like someone had a pillow fight with a feather pillow that broke.

A few feet away from that I find a large dead pigeon minus his head.

I know there are several outdoor feral type cats in the neighborhood, I watch a big black one creeping around in my yard from up in my attic office room. We also have hawks that circle high up on certain days.

What would have killed a pigeon like that? Was it a cat or a hawk? And why would they only eat the head?

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Cat. Hawks eat everything.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34125 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Hawks eat everything.
Unless the hawk is named "Mikey."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was an Ichabod crane?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Was it a cat or a hawk?

Neither. Transonic pigeon. Flew too fast. Head exploded.

Same thing happens if you drive a volkswagen bug over 65. It's not pretty.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Pigeon Mafia.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Match it up with the occasional bird heads I find in my yard.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Was it a cat or a hawk?

Neither. Transonic pigeon. Flew too fast. Head exploded.

OMG! LOL Thanks! I really needed a hearty belly laugh today and THIS did it! hahahahahaha

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Is Ozzy in town?

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Cats--the most prolific killers on the planet. They kill for sport, just like us.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
COVID?

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
You found a rare immortal pigeon who lost a fight with another of his kind.

There can be only one...

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Disagreee. Back in college I had a ‘69 bug for a while. 65 was no problem. 70 was no problem. 75 for too long melted a piston one day. The good news was it was only $46 for a new cylinder assembly and I had it back on the road in a day. The joys of working in a garage that had a tow truck and being good friends with the owner...

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just because you bent the laws of physics and space and time on a given day doesn't mean anyone else can, or should.

You're goddamn lucky you didn't hit 80, or you'd have been transported to an alternate dimension, in the future. I've seen it documented on film.

That alternate dimension, incidentally, is full of pigeon heads.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Do you have overhead lines near your house? Pigeons can fly up to 60mph. If one were to hit those high tension lines, it could sever the head clean off.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Any carnivals in town?
Geeks used to bite the heads off chickens.
Just sayn...

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Weird! All I ever find is the head with the feathers .

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my cat eats most of the birds he kills/brings home.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
In addition to cats, do you have any owls in your neigborhood?

A few years ago we had some barred owls in the area (they were crazy loud when they got frisky). It wasn't uncommon for me to find headless birds in the back yard while they were around. They hunt from dusk to dawn, so I never actually saw the event, but when they left the area I stopped finding headless birds in the yard.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Could be racoons, too. They rip the heads off my chickens all the time.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post