SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS Bar Members ~ A Procedural Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS Bar Members ~ A Procedural Question Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted

Thank you for considering my question about the SCOTUS process...

I understand that four of the nine Justices must vote to accept a case, that five of the nine Justices must vote in order to grant a stay, and under certain instances one Justice may grant a stay pending review by the entire Court.

Until I began to keep track of the activity in the Peruta vs. CA case, I had always associated Conference discussions being conducted after oral arguments, yet here is the timeline for the Peruta case showing Conference discussions.

My questions are:
1) Are the Conferences used to discuss and vote on which cases to accept?
2) Is it normal for a case to be distributed for Conference as many times as the Peruta case?

www.SupremeCourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docketfiles/16-894.htm

06/12/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of June 15, 2017.
06/05/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of June 8, 2017.
05/30/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of June 1, 2017.
05/22/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of May 25, 2017.
05/15/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of May 18, 2017.
05/08/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of May 11, 2017.
04/24/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 28, 2017.
04/20/17 Rescheduled.
04/17/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 21, 2017.
04/12/17 Rescheduled.
04/10/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 13, 2017.
03/30/17 Rescheduled.
03/27/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of March 31, 2017.
03/23/17 Rescheduled.
03/08/17 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of March 24, 2017.

03/07/17 Reply of petitioners Edward Peruta, et al. filed.
02/16/17 Brief amicus curiae of National Rifle Association of America, Inc. filed.
02/16/17 Brief amici curiae of Western States Sheriffs' Association, et al. filed.
02/16/17 Brief of respondent California in opposition filed.
02/16/17 Brief of respondents County of Yolo and Sheriff Ed Prieto in opposition filed.
02/16/17 Brief amici curiae of Alabama and 25 other States filed.
02/16/17 Brief amici curiae of The Governors of Texas, et al. filed.
02/16/17 Brief amici curiae of New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc., et al. filed.
02/16/17 Brief amici curiae of Gun Owners of America, Inc., et al. filed.
02/15/17 Brief amicus curiae of Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence filed.

02/06/17 Consent the filing of amicus curiae briefs, in support of either party or of neither party, received from counsel for respondents Second Amendment Foundation, Inc., et al..
02/02/17 Waiver of right of respondents County of San Diego and Sheriff William D. Gore to respond filed.
01/27/17 Letter received from counsel for respondent.
01/26/17 Consent to the filing of amicus curiae briefs in support of either party or of neither party, received from counsel petitioners.

01/12/17 Petition for a writ of certiorari filed. (Response due February 16, 2017)
12/05/16 Application (16A440) granted by Justice Kennedy extending the time to file until January 12, 2017.
12/02/16 Application (16A440) to extend further the time from December 14, 2016 to January 12, 2017, submitted to Justice Kennedy.
10/31/16 Application (16A440) to extend the time to file a petition for a writ of certiorari from November 13, 2016 to December 14, 2016, submitted to Justice Kennedy.

Posts: 2866 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe perusing the info here will answer most of the questions.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Thanks Jallen, the link you provided to the Supreme Court Blog contained more detail about the process than the SCOTUS own's information page.

My second question still stands, the SCOTUS has discussed the case six times in Conference and it is on their June 15th agenda again.

Are most cases they choose to hear discussed this many times or is it that the more it's discussed in Conference the less of a chance there is for the case to be heard in court?

Posts: 2866 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Thanks Jallen, the link you provided to the Supreme Court Blog contained more detail about the process than the SCOTUS own's information page.

My second question still stands, the SCOTUS has discussed the case six times in Conference and it is on their June 15th agenda again.

Are most cases they choose to hear discussed this many times or is it that the more it's discussed in Conference the less of a chance there is for the case to be heard in court?

I doubt if the case has been discussed in conference on each occasion when it was distributed. My guess is these postponements are uncommon, but I have no idea what is behind it.

I might expect the vacancy was a factor, but that has been filled now. We likely will never know. The term ends in a week or so.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post