SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Victor Davis Hanson: An Interview, History Lesson, and Perspective on Modern American Society and the Possibilities of What Lies Before Us
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victor Davis Hanson: An Interview, History Lesson, and Perspective on Modern American Society and the Possibilities of What Lies Before Us Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The history of Rome as applied to the United States. Communism arising from New Deal bureaucrats, which spawned McCarthyism and how those events relate to MAGA. Alger Hiss, Harry Hopkins, the decline of intelligence in liberal elites graduating from Ivy League schools and on and on.

This is a wide-ranging history lesson and valuable perspective for the serious-minded among the readers of this forum. This is 70+ minutes that I assure you is well worth your time. Truly captivating, and it demonstrates the depth of Hanson's knowledge as an historian and his eye-opening perspective on events both past and present. If you're like me, your emotions will run the gamut as the interview unfolds.

Towards the end of the interview with GB News, Hanson mentions a New Yorker article he wrote in 2019, regarding Donald Trump as a tragic hero comparable to those written about in the plays of Sophocles or in the Western films of John Ford, and this is also worth your time:

The Classicist Who Sees Donald Trump as a Tragic Hero

This interview took place on the afternoon before the Presidential debate of 6/27.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I heard a few stats and facts I wasn't familiar with. Death rate of white males in Afghanistan, and I knew we helped Stalin but didn't know it was 30% of the war effort they needed. Somewhat surprised at being reminded how many communists we had in gov which resulted in the decisions that helped Stalin and later, Mao. It's like back then they had their very own versions of Anthony Blinken and Jake Sullivan, ect. Mad

VDH seemed tired, must have interviewed on an EU time zone Smile

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
THAT GUY IS GREAT

Posts: 652 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
VDH is one of my favorite thinkers and commentators. His podcast is excellent and is regularly on while in the car or walking the dog.

His online lectures through Hillsdale are also excellent, particularly his WWII series.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11158 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm working through the video now. Wonderfully articulate and knowledgable. The context and historical perspective is great.

Honesty too. Pointing out Trump and Reagans faults.

Outstanding- Thanks for the recommendation. The parallels to the Fall of Rome is chilling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13498 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Towards the end of the interview with GB News, Hanson mentions a New Yorker article he wrote in 2019, regarding Donald Trump as a tragic hero comparable to those written about in the plays of Sophocles or in the Western films of John Ford, and this is also worth your time:

The Classicist Who Sees Donald Trump as a Tragic Hero

I listed to VDH's podcast fairly regularly and he provides great perspective on current events.

The New Yorker article i'd forgotten about but, I remember it now as it was during the heat of the various debates, big media & entertainment was in the midst of its shipping operations to craft and form public opinion against DJT. The author Isaac Chotiner is a known provocateur, as read in several of his questions, he attempts to get Hansen into traps and fixations.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for both the video and the article.

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
History is more interesting when most of it is behind you Wink. Thanks for the video. Been watching a lot more VDH lately.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I first discovered Victor Davis Hanson as I was studying ancient warfare in the early 1990s. He has written some very good books/articles on Greek warfare. Since then, I have followed his writings on modern politics, and have found him to be right on target with his findings. He is a great thinker and I agree with most all his comments on modern politics. Great video!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7214 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Professor Hanson is a gift to all Americans of good will and common sense. He's very straightforward and extremely brave in this current climate of hatred and violence against the best principles of American law and conservative values. I don't know if it would be good for him personally or professionally if a POTUS brought him into his administration on a full time or consulting retainer. I would sure want that kind of person on board if I was in that type of job. I think that between Victor Davis Hanson, General Jack Keane, and Newt Gingrich, you'd cover at least half of your bases right off the bat in terms solid analysis of good advice.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post